oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff (A) 0-1

I also feel that it's wrong to profit from your team losing.

Out of I interest, why do you think it's wrong? (When sticking a few quid on us to lose will clearly have no actual impact on the outcome of the game?

Must be a superstition that's all I can think of.

It's an emotional investment though isn't it?

I've bet against Boro a couple of times, so I'm not speaking for myself, but it's profiting from something that is going to make you feel unhappy. Not on the same scale, but it's like putting a bet on your relationship ending - you'll win the money, but emotionally you'll still be pretty down.

I don't get emotionally invested in having a bet it's usually £10 on a double or treble to win maybe £30/£40. It doesn't break my heart if I lose but it'll pay for a few beers on a Saturday night if it wins.

If you were sat there with a lot of money invested on us losing then you'd be torn on the outcome, I could understand that emotional dilemma but I'm not like that. The two things are completely separate.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I mean supporting the club is an emotional investment for many people, so betting against Boro is betting on their own unhappiness, if that makes sense?

I can see why some would see it like that and I feel like I'm entirely emotionally invested in the club too. I've just never put a bet on against Boro thinking of it like that. I never want to win that bet, I won't be happy winning that bet and I won't withdraw any winnings happily, I probably won't withdraw them at all, I'll stick them on something else or another Boro game. It's entirely a superstitious thing for me, perhaps that's just me and betting though, I always feel like something I bet on will lose, no matter how high or low the odds. So by applying that 'logic' onto something I actually really want to happen, I will bet against it happening in order to try and make it more likely to happen.

No, I mean supporting the club is an emotional investment for many people, so betting against Boro is betting on their own unhappiness, if that makes sense?

Ok, yeah i see what you mean.

Out of I interest, why do you think it's wrong? (When sticking a few quid on us to lose will clearly have no actual impact on the outcome of the game)?

Because betting against the team you're supposed to support means you're actively willing them to lose. You must be, otherwise why even put the bet on in the first place?

Unless you just like chucking money away, I guess.

Out of I interest, why do you think it's wrong? (When sticking a few quid on us to lose will clearly have no actual impact on the outcome of the game)?

Because betting against the team you're supposed to support means you're actively willing them to lose. You must be, otherwise why even put the bet on in the first place?

There's a difference between willing your team to lose and expecting them to lose, I've never willed us to lose in my life but I've expected it to happen lots of times.

If I've put money on us to lose I've felt disapointed when it's happened but winning some money to pay off my ticket and beer money softens the blow a bit.

Its just a game of football at the end of the day and I dont ever cry myself to sleep after a loss, I get over it pretty quickly.

Yeah I’m with Duvel on this one. I sometimes bet against the Boro even in crunch games. Would much much rather Boro win still, but if we lose pays for ticket and day out. Don’t see what the problem is myself, and eases the pain slighlty of losing.

There's a difference between willing your team to lose and expecting them to lose, I've never willed us to lose in my life but I've expected it to happen lots of times.

If I've put money on us to lose I've felt disapointed when it's happened but winning some money to pay off my ticket and beer money softens the blow a bit.

Its just a game of football at the end of the day and I dont ever cry myself to sleep after a loss, I get over it pretty quickly.

So when you bet on us to lose and we win, you're happy with basically throwing money away?

I just don't get the gambler's mindset I guess.

To clarify, when I put a footy bet on (generally only at games and only ever in Boro's favour), I select what I think is likely to happen. The way I see it is if it's a game we're expected to win (for example Oxford United in the FA Cup) then betting us to lose isn't exactly an educated bet, it's more of a risk in hoping that an upset will occur.

So when you bet on us to lose and we win, you're happy with basically throwing money away?

I just don't get the gambler's mindset I guess.

To clarify, when I put a footy bet on (generally only at games and only ever in Boro's favour), I select what I think is likely to happen. The way I see it is if it's a game we're expected to win (for example Oxford United in the FA Cup) then betting us to lose isn't exactly an educated bet, it's more of a risk in hoping that an upset will occur.

OK, well there's the difference. Like Duvel said, if I've ever bet on Boro to lose, I've NEVER wanted them to. I guess I see it as compensation!

I'd made a bit of money betting on our promotion season. In that final game against Brighton we only needed a draw, so I lumped the whole lot on us losing. I was DELIGHTED when we drew (and got promoted). HAD we lost though, I would have won enough to cover the play-off adventure.

(It's not very different from an insurance policy. You pay for insurance, but you don't HOPE that your house gets broken in to, or that your car gets punched. Quite the opposite.... but if it does, it's good to have the insurance).