• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a conflict between two unwritten laws of the universe. You don't win every bet and your team will always disappoint you. Pit one law against the other and boom...

it's a draw. :D

I might start betting on the draw + defeat in the future :)

It's gaining from your sides defeat.. Its just something I couldn't do.. I'd rather not bet on the Boro at all than to bet on them to lose.. Suppose it's just a matter of opinion

Maybe you're confusing what anyone wants out of a bet against Boro?? Like Humpty said, it's a(n emotional) hedge.

You bet against Boro (or back the draw), but you don't WANT Boro to lose or draw. You WANT Boro to win.... but IF they lose or draw you get some money back. Compensation if you like.

(Kind of the silver lining to an otherwise dark cloud).

I backed Boro to lose or draw quite a bit at the end of our promotion season. Did quite well in the final four games...

In the last game a draw was good enough for promotion, so I lumped the whole lot on us losing. I was bloody delighted when we drew and went up... I never WANTED us to lose for a moment.

(But HAD we lost, it would have been a big decent pay day).

It's gaining from your sides defeat.. Its just something I couldn't do.. I'd rather not bet on the Boro at all than to bet on them to lose.. Suppose it's just a matter of opinion

Maybe you're confusing what anyone wants out of a bet against Boro?? Like Humpty said, it's a(n emotional) hedge.

You bet against Boro (or back the draw), but you don't WANT Boro to lose or draw. You WANT Boro to win.... but IF they lose or draw you get some money back. Compensation if you like.

I backed Boro to lose or draw quite a bit at the end of our promotion season. Did quite well in the final four games...

In the last game a draw was good enough for promotion, so I lumped the whole lot on us losing. I was bloody delighted when we drew and went up... I never WANTED us to lose for a moment.

I do understand where you are coming from.. It just doesn't sit well with me

Nah , not having it chaps.

I've won quite a bit this season betting on us to lose.

Do I feel happy when we lose? No

Does it soften the blow? Not very much

Do i blame myself for jinxing us? No I'm not superstitious.

I don't see the problem unless you're actually sabotaging your own team.

Nah , not having it chaps.

My old fella always said never bet on the boro and I can’t bring myself to bet against them. Although in the 90s I was working in London and I had a permenant bet with a jock of a tenner he supported Celtic and if one lost and the other won the winner got the tenner. It was the season we won most and Celtic had a stinker. I agreed to cancel the deal towards the end of the season as I was a couple of hundred up. And that was a lot back then

I also feel that it's wrong to profit from your team losing.

Out of I interest, why do you think it's wrong? (When sticking a few quid on us to lose will clearly have no actual impact on the outcome of the game?

Must be a superstition that's all I can think of.

I don't know if I've ever won one of those bets. Which tells you a lot about any that I may have actually won, it does not at all soften the blow of losing, I've certainly never made one of those with the hope of it winning and I never will. Unless you're sticking daft money on too, you're very rarely going to win a lot out of a single match result bet, especially if you stick it on draw or win for the opposition.

I also feel that it's wrong to profit from your team losing.

Out of I interest, why do you think it's wrong? (When sticking a few quid on us to lose will clearly have no actual impact on the outcome of the game?

Must be a superstition that's all I can think of.

It's an emotional investment though isn't it?

I've bet against Boro a couple of times, so I'm not speaking for myself, but it's profiting from something that is going to make you feel unhappy. Not on the same scale, but it's like putting a bet on your relationship ending - you'll win the money, but emotionally you'll still be pretty down.