oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson: Put up or shut up

It's another one of them, I'm half cut, pee'd off and done in. Believe what you will - it is what it is - we are crap, Gibson is a great bloke but his football decisions are crap - if they weren't we wouldn't be where we are - seeing as all he's done (according to pr) is plough his personal fortune into a failing club (were not successful are we?)- it's strange how both him and the club are financially sound then.

That's me - I'm off to bed after another soul destroying day - I used to love Saturdays

Well the club weren't financially sound for some time.  Businesses that lose £20m a year generally aren't in good shape especially when their wage bill alone exceeds their total turnover by some margin as was the case at Boro.  In fact, the only reason they were able to continue operating at all is because somebody was covering the losses.

I know what you mean about the Saturdays.  I just hope they get together again and release some new music soon :heart:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I have touched in this numerous times and this is not by any means a knee-jerk reaction resulting from losing against a very good and well organised Cardiff City side. The facts are that our chairman charges the supporters one of the most expensive tickets in the league. He claims to be one of the fans, one of the people, a local boy done good who is in touch with the people of Teesside.

Really Steve? You have banked millions from the fortunes of this football club. Granted, you have brought brief spells of exciting times but since you took control in 1994? the vast majority of seasons supporting this club have been dull and insipid.

You need to either put your money where your mouth is and fund the ambitions of the supporters or sell the club to someone who is prepared to invest. A £4.5M net investment to fund a promotion push after selling so many players, banking so much TV money and charging your loyal fans so much money to watch their team each week is acceptable is it?

Spend some money, stop talking bull**** and fleecing your fans or **** right off.

Dear God.

It's totally obvious that Gibson has the club at heart far more than any foreign billionaire would. He's never used the club as a money making operation and has had obvious spells where he has bankrolled a loss making organisation. People wanting him gone need to be careful what they wish for.

Having said that you'd think he would have learned over the last 25 years how to run the club better than he does. He makes decisions with the right intentions but unfortunately gets a lot of them wrong. I think we have a number of incompetent people in key positions at the club and the responsibility for that has to be Gibson's.

It's totally obvious that Gibson has the club at heart far more than any foreign billionaire would. He's never used the club as a money making operation and has had obvious spells where he has bankrolled a loss making organisation. People wanting him gone need to be careful what they wish for.

Having said that you'd think he would have learned over the last 25 years how to run the club better than he does. He makes decisions with the right intentions but unfortunately gets a lot of them wrong. I think we have a number of incompetent people in key positions at the club and the responsibility for that has to be Gibson's.

Hit the nail on the head fella.

For the life of me I just cannot understand how such a good business man can cock up time and again getting in the right bloke to manage the MFC.

But like you say you cannot fault his loyalty to the club.

Carry on Gibbo your doing a sterling job imo.

Bring back McClaren, no Southgate, er Karanka, I mean Monk. Seriously does it really matter who you ask for. Mclaren give us something to cheer about upto 2006. After that I cant think of any goods times. No I lie Karanka promotion.

It's another one of them, I'm half cut, pee'd off and done in. Believe what you will - it is what it is - we are crap, Gibson is a great bloke but his football decisions are crap - if they weren't we wouldn't be where we are - seeing as all he's done (according to pr) is plough his personal fortune into a failing club (were not successful are we?)- it's strange how both him and the club are financially sound then.

That's me - I'm off to bed after another soul destroying day - I used to love Saturdays

But when Gibson was putting a million a month into the club then he was bankrolling the club and if anyone in their right mind thinks he will ever get that money back

Since MccLaren...

Southgate

Strachan

Mogga

Karanka

Agnew

Monk

Pulis

A 1 in 7 success rate is very very poor. It's not Gibson's will to succeed or commitment to the cause that needs questioning, It's his decision making.

But who does have a better success rate ,Norwich ? Forest.? Leeds? Sunderland?villa? Only three teams go up and I’m guessing that’s how we measure success

As for my ex brother in law - as if I'd risk getting him into possible trouble because of a few clueless divs on here.

Edit - you seriously think our main source of income is Gibsons piggy bank?

Randy SandwichIt's another one of them, I'm half cut, pee'd off and done in. Believe what you will - it is what it is - we are crap, Gibson is a great bloke but his football decisions are crap - if they weren't we wouldn't be where we are - seeing as all he's done (according to pr) is plough his personal fortune into a failing club (were not successful are we?)- it's strange how both him and the club are financially sound then.

Pretty much going to bow out after this but just a couple of last points-

Yes I agree Gibson didn't save the club on his own, all with his own money - I never suggested he did. 

There were many parts to the consortium - Graham Fordy got Newcastle Breweries to bring a good chunk of cash with them, and Colin Henderson getting ICI to underwrite the £1.175m the consortium were short so we could meet the deadline was crucial to our survival, and there were various smaller companies from London that Gibson organised too, as well as Henry M.

But there is no doubt that for many years Gibson has been giving a huge amount of cash to the club. The club is not financially sound at all, we've been losing vast amounts of money for a long time, from a business perspective the club is a terrible investment.

However, all being said Gibson's footballing decisions are questionable at best and I don't agree with a lot he has done, but to claim he's "banking millions" from the club is just plain wrong

But when Gibson was putting a million a month into the club then he was bankrolling the club and if anyone in their right mind thinks he will ever get that money back

So basically what you are saying is when his club was ran badly by him and was running at a loss he had to put money in to correct that?

What do you want me to do - lay on my side and crap Mars bars?

So basically what you are saying is when his club was ran badly by him and was running at a loss he had to put money in to correct that?

I think you’ll find almost all football clubs run at a loss so any owner loses money feel free to crap anything you want but don’t claim Gibson hasn’t saved or bankrolled the club

I think you’ll find almost all football clubs run at a loss so any owner loses money feel free to crap anything you want but don’t claim Gibson hasn’t saved or bankrolled the club

We're going round in circles here - it was claimed Gibson saved the club financially and pointed out factually that he didn't - not because I don't like him or dont appreciate what he's done for the club (his club / business)because I do.

I just agreed with some points about his choices and financial contribution with facts.

I'm off to crap a snicker for my brunch.

UTB

Edit - you are aware this is his club and he owns it aren't you? So he basically got us running at a ten Mil loss one year and a 14 Mil loss the next, so while his business / club was going down financially by his doing he either had to put the money in himself or get an outside investor and he chose to do it himself - for that you worship him?

I love the bloke - I wouldn't swap him for the world but I wish he'd employ some people who know something about running a football club.

We're going round in circles here - it was claimed Gibson saved the club financially and pointed out factually that he didn't - not because I don't like him or dont appreciate what he's done for the club (his club / business)because I do.

I just agreed with some points about his choices and financial contribution with facts.

UTB

Edit - you are aware this is his club and he owns it aren't you? So he basically got us running at a ten Mil loss one year and a 14 Mil loss the next, so while his business / club was going down financially by his doing he either had to put the money in himself or get an outside investor and he chose to do it himself - for that you worship him?

I love the bloke - I wouldn't swap him for the world but I wish he'd employ some people who know something about running a football club.

He gets pelters for running at a loss. But if he refused to put money in and we ran to our level he’d get even more

But when Gibson was putting a million a month into the club  then he was bankrolling the club and if anyone in their right mind thinks he will ever get that money back

I think you’ll find almost all football clubs run at a loss so any owner loses money  feel free to crap anything you want but don’t claim Gibson hasn’t saved or bankrolled the club

UTB

He gets pelters for running at a loss. But if he refused to put money in and we ran to our level he’d get even more

Thats what happens when you run a club badly - other clubs are ran better but thats because the owners aren't stupid enough to splash out on stupid wages and fees for players so they don't need to raid the piggy bank to keep the club afloat, they just employ the right people and make good decisions.

By the way you missed the other option which was bring in outside investment but Gibbo chose to keep his club all to himself and therefore he put to put his own pennies in to keep it - theres no heroism there, hes at fault for making crap decisions, losing money and not learning from it - which is probably why he appointed Pullis - we will be a bang average club playing below average football but we won't be 14 mil down every year.