• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Note, as previously mentioned, hobo has disappeared. We'll be here again in 2 weeks time discussing how Gibson is banking all the money that the club supposedly earns.

I don't understand this at all, Steve Gibson owns Middlesbrough football club therefore if we are in profit the profit is his and if we are in debt the debt is his so if we are in profit he is banking the money because its his to bank. Thats probably why he made no attempt in the 2017 Jan window to get the prem players AK wanted because if and when we went down he would be once again stuck with a monstrous wage bill and be in trouble - which is the logical decision even if it meant we weren't "giving it a good go" like he said we would, I'm happy he made that decision with hindsight.

Is there some confusion on this forum between a club owner and a club employee?

If I own a business and I'm running it badly, unhappy employees, debt and a bad management structure - should I be given a halo for putting money into my business to save my sorry *** from losing it all or just recognized for making mistakes and paying for them??

How many clubs are ran better than us financially? Serious question.

All the ones who's owner doesn't have to put a mil a month of his own money to keep them afloat would be a starting point.

But how can you ask that question when earlier the argument was how much Gibson was putting in of his own money due to us obviously being in a financial mire - you can't all have it both ways.

How many clubs are ran better than us financially? Serious question.

All the ones who's owner doesn't have to put a mil a month of his own money to keep them afloat would be a starting point.

But how can you ask that question when earlier the argument was how much Gibson was putting in of his own money due to us obviously being in a financial mire - you can't all have it both ways.

We're intentionally run at a loss to enable us to spend the most we can and stay within FFP rules so yes you can have it both ways in this instance.

Note, as previously mentioned, hobo has disappeared. We'll be here again in 2 weeks time discussing how Gibson is banking all the money that the club supposedly earns.

It's because me and ABBA exposed him as a bed wetting drama queen and he couldn't take it  :crying:

By my reckoning Gibson’s company has got all their money back from Boro now - as all the Premiership money goes to group accounts like the debt did. As the net spend this season is now basically zero, we are probably at Day Zero finances wise.

My guess is Pulis has been asked to advise on club structure as well as being manager. He said on Tees last week he’d had his first session with Gibson to feed back his findings. This tells me they will be looking at what to put in place for next season.

Post this meeting Curtis was appointed and we have a new fitness coach. It feels like when Steve M came in. Building from the ground up.

I guess we will have another real go next season where Pulis will have no excuses. I’d think Pulis will play a part in selecting his successor. I’d expect Woody and Fleming to now be a constant part of the coaching team.

We may see a Director of Football. I think the main problem is running the club is so much more complicated now. Gibson cannot just go and buy a Juninho, Rav, Emerson, Merson, Barmby etc. We need to be smarter. The academy needs to feed more players in. The scouting team need to do much better. And the club needs a playing style identity. It cannot change from one manager to the next. That adds a season to each change in regime.

We’ve had a good few years. The trick now is to get back on track quicker than last time. Pulis is a decent enough bet to do that. Like Bruce at Villa. Wolves, Bristol, Cardiff, Fulham have all been building for years - Wolves took a bit of a shortcut this season.

So yes Gibson does have to do better. Make better decisons. But also be better advised. That includes Pulis, Bausor and Gill mainly I guess. They’re his team.

Not sure what other people will think of this but here's my take on Gibson.

When it comes to football matters I just get the impression he is a bit of a walk over, I think he falls for sweet talk to easy if he's dealing with 'proper' football people like players/ex players/experienced managers.

Maybe he puts to much trust in them because they 'know the game' more than him because they've played it or worked in football at a high level.

How has he not sacked Gary gill yet? You can bet Gill is churning out all sorts of excuses as to why our recruitment has been so bad, orta got it last summer and no doubt he's put it all on monk for this summer.

You can only imagine the stuff monk came out with in his interview and during his time here to get the job and keep it so long.

By my reckoning Gibson’s company has got all their money back from Boro now - as all the Premiership money goes to group accounts like the debt did. As the net spend this season is now basically zero, we are probably at Day Zero finances wise.

My guess is Pulis has been asked to advise on club structure as well as being manager. He said on Tees last week he’d had his first session with Gibson to feed back his findings. This tells me they will be looking at what to put in place for next season.

Post this meeting Curtis was appointed and we have a new fitness coach. It feels like when Steve M came in. Building from the ground up.

I guess we will have another real go next season where Pulis will have no excuses. I’d think Pulis will play a part in selecting his successor. I’d expect Woody and Fleming to now be a constant part of the coaching team.

We may see a Director of Football. I think the main problem is running the club is so much more complicated now. Gibson cannot just go and buy a Juninho, Rav, Emerson, Merson, Barmby etc. We need to be smarter. The academy needs to feed more players in. The scouting team need to do much better. And the club needs a playing style identity. It cannot change from one manager to the next. That adds a season to each change in regime.

We’ve had a good few years. The trick now is to get back on track quicker than last time. Pulis is a decent enough bet to do that. Like Bruce at Villa. Wolves, Bristol, Cardiff, Fulham have all been building for years - Wolves took a bit of a shortcut this season.

So yes Gibson does have to do better. Make better decisons. But also be better advised. That includes Pulis, Bausor and Gill mainly I guess. They’re his team.

Not sure how you reckon Gibson has got the 70 odd million back he spent last time we were in the championship

Steve Gibson has presided over the most successful era in the club's history, if you're over a certain age you would never have expected to see us sign the players we did, win a trophy or play in Europe. If we never get back to that level again I can at least say I've experienced those times.

However all the good things he's done does not make him immune from criticism. His decision making has been shambolic at times, for every good appointment he makes a couple of bad ones. Southgate, Strachan, Agnew and Monk were disastrous and it feels like 2009 is repeating itself at the moment.

I don't get the obsession with having local lads at the club. Woodgate was bought behind Mowbrays back and is still here despite contributing very little. It appears that the Downing signing was Gibson's. What the hell does Gary Gill do? Our recruitment is a joke. I want competent staff from top to bottom not lads who are employed because they are local or nice guys.

I've argued on here in the past that the club has no long term plan/philosophy or identity. We seem to go from one extreme to the other with managers and the style we are trying to implement.

I have no doubt that Steve Gibson has pumped millions of pounds into the club over the last 30 years and has spent far more than he's recouped. For that we should be extremely grateful, I wouldn't swap him for another chairman because he's a fan like the rest of us and for every good chairman there's half a dozen bad ones.

I do think now is the time for him to step back and look at how the club is run and get some experienced staff making the football decisions. I've got absolutely zero faith in him making the right decisions himself anymore.

All the debts the club built up since Gibson took over stacked up to around £100 million. They got converted to a debt to the group if I understand it correctly. Give or take I would expect the next few sets of accounts to show the club owes nothing to the group.

Hopefully if we get promoted soon we are self sufficient. Which is what we all want.

One season in the Premier, selling a lot of players for big profits is good business. Even better is to get promoted again with very little net spend.