• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows how far we have come when numpties are given oxygen in focussing on one of the stupidest posts on here.

Gibbo ain't perfect but dear god it ain't his fault we can't score!

He continues to employ the guy who selected or had a big part in selecting the players who can't score, so maybe indirectly he is partly at fault?

Shows how far we have come when numpties are given oxygen in focussing on one of the stupidest posts on here.

He continues to employ the guy who selected or had a big part in selecting the players who can't score, so maybe indirectly he is partly at fault?

The buck will always stop with him but like you said, it's indirect. Club picks the manager, manager picks the team. Manager was also the one who refused to dip into the market to make his situation better despite the club seemingly providing him the funds to do so.

I think on this occasion people have at least some reason to justify pointing the finger at Gibson because of how far away the manager is from the squad we have (as I've previously said, I have no idea who was a better choice who was available and neither does anybody else).

But what has been made clear already, the manager we have isn't just here to pick the team and win the games. His role is clearly something much bigger than that for the 18 months he's going to be here. In the short term it might mean we have nothing worth cheering for as there's seemingly a significantly greater focus on off-the-field issues. But who knows, in the long-term it may pay dividends. We won't know really until we reach the long-term.

How many chairmen have appointed successful managers?

It’s not an exact science and a manager who works well at one club, doesn’t always work well at another one. We had a “succesful” manager, AK got us promoted, so that was success of a sort. We are a medium sized club with no divine right to premier league football. If you can’t cope with championship football, then maybe this isn’t the right club for you.

How many chairmen have appointed successful managers?

It’s not an exact science and a manager who works well at one club, doesn’t always work well at another one. We had a “succesful” manager, AK got us promoted, so that was success of a sort. We are a medium sized club with no divine right to premier league football. If you can’t cope with championship football, then maybe this isn’t the right club for you.

I meant Gill not the manager

I don't know the ins and outs of the financial side of Steve Gibson or his business, but what I do know is without Gibbo's passion, drive and fight we wouldn't have a football club and this forum wouldn't exist. I actually couldn't give a toss where Steve Gibson borrowed the money from to keep this club in business, all I know is he did. Put up or sell up, Steve Gibson may get it wrong at times but he most certainly has always put up.

I don't know the ins and outs of the financial side of Steve Gibson or his business, but what I do know is without Gibbo's passion, drive and fight we wouldn't have a football club and this forum wouldn't exist. I actually couldn't give a toss where Steve Gibson borrowed the money from to keep this club in business, all I know is he did. Put up or sell up, Steve Gibson may get it wrong at times but he most certainly has always put up.

Spot on agree 100%

How many clubs are ran better than us financially? Serious question.

All the ones who's owner doesn't have to put a mil a month of his own money to keep them afloat would be a starting point.

But how can you ask that question when earlier the argument was how much Gibson was putting in of his own money due to us obviously being in a financial mire - you can't all have it both ways.

We're intentionally run at a loss to enable us to spend the most we can and stay within FFP rules so yes you can have it both ways in this instance.

i haven't a clue about finance... my marriage currently costs quite a lot more than i earn.... but wasn't it once rumoured that the club losses were shown as expenses to Gibsons lorry firm as a write off tax fiddle?

I think it's a bit harsh blaming him for this place as well as everything else.

How many clubs are ran better than us financially? Serious question.

All the ones who's owner doesn't have to put a mil a month of his own money to keep them afloat would be a starting point.

But how can you ask that question when earlier the argument was how much Gibson was putting in of his own money due to us obviously being in a financial mire - you can't all have it both ways.

We're intentionally run at a loss to enable us to spend the most we can and stay within FFP rules so yes you can have it both ways in this instance.

i haven't a clue about finance... my marriage currently costs quite a lot more than i earn.... but wasn't it once rumoured that the club losses were shown as expenses to Gibsons lorry firm as a write off tax fiddle?

Fiddling the greedy tax man, well done Gibbo take a bow :) .

Hands up who backed Pulis? I use to laugh at the stupid things we have achieved over the years and my have we achieved some unwanted records. Show me a team that’s not won 1 in 20 and they storm past us. A player not scored in 30 games and he gets a hat trick, fastest goal conceded, yep we have most of them. But lately it’s just not funny anymore

Hands up who backed Pulis? I use to laugh at the stupid things we have achieved over the years and my have we achieved some unwanted records. Show me a team that’s not won 1 in 20 and they storm past us. A player not scored in 30 games and he gets a hat trick, fastest goal conceded, yep we have most of them. But lately it’s just not funny anymore

Pulis wouldn't have been my choice, but I thought I'll have to back him now he's in charge, to me Pulis is a footballing dinosaur who plays football from the dark ages. We can't all play football like Man City, but Eddie Howe showed how it could be done at Bournemouth and so is Nuno Santos at Wolves, for some reason we don't seem to be capable of bringing a manager in like that, or just  haven't got people at he club capable of identifying someone with those qualities.

The reason the early bird season ticket emails have gone out now, is this club has concerns about the size of crowd next season in my opinion. and so they should we're been served up dog *** football.

Steve Gibson has presided over the most successful era in the club's history, if you're over a certain age you would never have expected to see us sign the players we did, win a trophy or play in Europe. If we never get back to that level again I can at least say I've experienced those times.

However all the good things he's done does not make him immune from criticism. His decision making has been shambolic at times, for every good appointment he makes a couple of bad ones. Southgate, Strachan, Agnew and Monk were disastrous and it feels like 2009 is repeating itself at the moment.

I don't get the obsession with having local lads at the club. Woodgate was bought behind Mowbrays back and is still here despite contributing very little. It appears that the Downing signing was Gibson's. What the hell does Gary Gill do? Our recruitment is a joke. I want competent staff from top to bottom not lads who are employed because they are local or nice guys.

I've argued on here in the past that the club has no long term plan/philosophy or identity. We seem to go from one extreme to the other with managers and the style we are trying to implement.

I have no doubt that Steve Gibson has pumped millions of pounds into the club over the last 30 years and has spent far more than he's recouped. For that we should be extremely grateful, I wouldn't swap him for another chairman because he's a fan like the rest of us and for every good chairman there's half a dozen bad ones.

I do think now is the time for him to step back and look at how the club is run and get some experienced staff making the football decisions. I've got absolutely zero faith in him making the right decisions himself anymore.

Southgate was a bit weird.

Strachan had just led Celtic to three consecutive league titles, and advanced from Champion League group stages and beat .. Milan? Inter? An Italian powerhouse anyway. 

Agnew "makes sense" as he's the natural caretaker. I don't think he was ever meant to be more than that (unless he did superbly ala Monk at Swansea). 

Monk was an up and coming British manager - what 'everyone' craves in England in the sense that "dont give it to a foreign manager". He did quite well with Leeds given the material.

Karanka was decent? 

"[Woodgate] is still here despite contributing very little" - You don't know that. 

"I've argued on here in the past that the club has no long term plan/philosophy or identity. We seem to go from one extreme to the other with managers and the style we are trying to implement. " - Looking from the outside, I agree with this.