oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson: Put up or shut up

We've had some fantastic players under Robbo and McLaren, just the strikers alone Rav, The Yak, Jimmy Floyd, Viduka, but since those days, its unbelievable how far back this club has gone.

1 100% agree with everything in your post, because since those heady times, Gibson has got it wrong time and time again, its like a jobs for the boys club, the Agnew gardening leave fiasco as an example, the new manager doesn't want you your gone at any other club.

Superb chairman but has lost the plot of late.

isn’t it more that football has moved on, rather than we have gone backwards? We punched above our weight, at a time when it was easier to do so. Now we just can’t compete at the financial level of the top half of the premier league.

Gibson is still backing the club as highly as he can. Some of the summer signings show that. But now us spending £10-15m on a player is so far removed from what the top clubs are spending.

Some of the players you quoted we paid between £5-10m for. They would now cost 5 times that. And we just aren’t a big enough club to compete.

You're right to an extent football has moved on, we couldn't afford a Juninho or Ravanelli nowadays.

Saying that with our recent history and budget is it unrealistic to expect us to compete with clubs like West Brom and Stoke?

The finances also have nothing to do with some of the awful decisions that Steve Gibson has made. The Agnew appointment last season was the icing on the cake for me.

No, I agree we should be competing with West Brom and Stoke. Maybe that’s why we have appointed someone who has managed both! :D

We aren’t miles behind those clubs. We have just spend more of the last decade in the second tier than them. That could all soon change.

Over the last few yrs we are more successful than forest Leeds Birmingham wolves and a load of others. Most of whom we would think of as bigger clubs. All that’s down to Gibson

We've outspent them all as well so you could argue that we are underachieving.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

isn’t it more that football has moved on, rather than we have gone backwards? We punched above our weight, at a time when it was easier to do so. Now we just can’t compete at the financial level of the top half of the premier league.

Gibson is still backing the club as highly as he can. Some of the summer signings show that. But now us spending £10-15m on a player is so far removed from what the top clubs are spending.

Some of the players you quoted we paid between £5-10m for. They would now cost 5 times that. And we just aren’t a big enough club to compete.

You're right to an extent football has moved on, we couldn't afford a Juninho or Ravanelli nowadays.

Saying that with our recent history and budget is it unrealistic to expect us to compete with clubs like West Brom and Stoke?

The finances also have nothing to do with some of the awful decisions that Steve Gibson has made. The Agnew appointment last season was the icing on the cake for me.

No, I agree we should be competing with West Brom and Stoke. Maybe that’s why we have appointed someone who has managed both! :D

We aren’t miles behind those clubs. We have just spend more of the last decade in the second tier than them. That could all soon change.

Over the last few yrs we are more successful than forest Leeds Birmingham wolves and a load of others. Most of whom we would think of as bigger clubs. All that’s down to Gibson

Yes you could say we are underachieving. But you can’t blame Gibson for not trying

Yes you could say we are underachieving. But you can’t blame Gibson for not trying

No definitely not, I would never question his effort or ambition.

Hands up who backed Pulis? I use to laugh at the stupid things we have achieved over the years and my have we achieved some unwanted records. Show me a team that’s not won 1 in 20 and they storm past us. A player not scored in 30 games and he gets a hat trick, fastest goal conceded, yep we have most of them. But lately it’s just not funny anymore

Your making it sound like we are the only team to win 1 in 20 we aren’t. And are we the only team a forward on a bad run scores against. No   Give us a figure we hold the record for  least points ever? . Worst goal difference ever ? I’m guessing you can’t find one

It just seems to be your general demina that you really want to think we are the worst at something

Read what was written not what you thought it said. I said show me a team that's not won 1 in 20 and they will beat us. The post was light hearted and properly enjoyed by long term hardened supporters who has experienced our woes. YOU are stressed and need to get a life my friend

I have no problem in anyone questioning gibbo as he has made some odd choices with pulis the oldest but the put up or shut up stuff just ticked me off.

I love the way people think someone better is just round the corner. Like there’s a waiting list of billionaires clambering to buy football clubs. Maybe Sunderland just haven’t got the list yet

Sunderlands owner is a billionaire...

Yes but he can’t find another one daft enough can he

Hands up who backed Pulis? I use to laugh at the stupid things we have achieved over the years and my have we achieved some unwanted records. Show me a team that’s not won 1 in 20 and they storm past us. A player not scored in 30 games and he gets a hat trick, fastest goal conceded, yep we have most of them. But lately it’s just not funny anymore

Your making it sound like we are the only team to win 1 in 20 we aren’t. And are we the only team a forward on a bad run scores against. No   Give us a figure we hold the record for  least points ever? . Worst goal difference ever ? I’m guessing you can’t find one

It just seems to be your general demina that you really want to think we are the worst at something

Read what was written not what you thought it said. I said show me a team that's not won 1 in 20 and they will beat us. The post was light hearted and properly enjoyed by long term hardened supporters who has experienced our woes. YOU are stressed and need to get a life my friend

Not sure any of your posts are light hearted or if they are you do a bad job of making them seem that way.

I did say your making it sound like not you are by the way .

We've had some fantastic players under Robbo and McLaren, just the strikers alone Rav, The Yak, Jimmy Floyd, Viduka, but since those days, its unbelievable how far back this club has gone.

1 100% agree with everything in your post, because since those heady times, Gibson has got it wrong time and time again, its like a jobs for the boys club, the Agnew gardening leave fiasco as an example, the new manager doesn't want you your gone at any other club.

I thought this exact thing after I had posted. You can add in Sheff Wed, Villa, Norwich, Blackburn...

They are the kinds of clubs we should be expecting to compete with. Not many of them have had better recent histories than us.

I thought this exact thing after I had posted. You can add in Sheff Wed, Villa, Norwich, Blackburn...

They are the kinds of clubs we should be expecting to compete with. Not many of them have had better recent histories than us.

How about competing with Bournemouth, Swansea, Burnley, Watford and Southampton? Is that unrealistic?

After relegation in 2009 it looks like we're on course to spend 9 season's out of 10 in the championship. Things were bad in the 80's but we spent more time than that in the top tier.

We've gone from one of the best periods in the club's history to one of the most mediocre periods all under Gibson's watch.

Steve Gibson has presided over the most successful era in the club's history, if you're over a certain age you would never have expected to see us sign the players we did, win a trophy or play in Europe. If we never get back to that level again I can at least say I've experienced those times.

However all the good things he's done does not make him immune from criticism. His decision making has been shambolic at times, for every good appointment he makes a couple of bad ones. Southgate, Strachan, Agnew and Monk were disastrous and it feels like 2009 is repeating itself at the moment.

I don't get the obsession with having local lads at the club. Woodgate was bought behind Mowbrays back and is still here despite contributing very little. It appears that the Downing signing was Gibson's. What the hell does Gary Gill do? Our recruitment is a joke. I want competent staff from top to bottom not lads who are employed because they are local or nice guys.

I've argued on here in the past that the club has no long term plan/philosophy or identity. We seem to go from one extreme to the other with managers and the style we are trying to implement.

I have no doubt that Steve Gibson has pumped millions of pounds into the club over the last 30 years and has spent far more than he's recouped. For that we should be extremely grateful, I wouldn't swap him for another chairman because he's a fan like the rest of us and for every good chairman there's half a dozen bad ones.

I do think now is the time for him to step back and look at how the club is run and get some experienced staff making the football decisions. I've got absolutely zero faith in him making the right decisions himself anymore.

Football has moved on granted, nobody can compete with the big boys, but we had the foundations of a club that should have been able to sustain Premier League status for many a year, other clubs have managed it, Swansea, Stoke, Burnley, Bournemouth,West Brom, we are as big if not bigger than most of these clubs. We have proven when we are in the PL that we can maintain bigger crowds than them, sell outs in a lot of cases. This punching above our weight riles me, and  I'm not buying it. Bad decisions by the Boro hierarchy are why we have gone backwards, not the price of what a player costs now compared to the Robbo/McLaren days.