oneBoro Forum

Boro v Hull City 3-1 (Gestede (2) Bamford)

I predict we will start with four defensive midfielders due to us playing mighty Hull and both sides will be warned by the referee at half time for 'non aggresion', just like in boxing. Seriously, apathy has set in, we will probably win this one nil, but in the greater scheme of things it will not matter, and we will end up around tenth in the table, which is exactly where this team deserves to be.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I might be in the minority but I wouldn't mind trying the 3 man midfield again, I think it could be a positive system if we actually want to show some attacking intent.

It could allow Howson to play the sort of role Lampard played at Chelsea where he had freedom to arrive late into the box. There's no role for Downing in that shape though because I think we need two attack minded wide players in Adama and Harrison.

Systems and formations are irrelevant though really, any shape can be attacking minded if you want it to be. Unfortunately with us at the moment you expect us to be cautious to the extreme.

I might be in the minority but I wouldn't mind trying the 3 man midfield again, I think it could be a positive system if we actually want to show some attacking intent.

It could allow Howson to play the sort of role Lampard played at Chelsea where he had freedom to arrive late into the box. There's no role for Downing in that shape though because I think we need two attack minded wide players in Adama and Harrison.

Systems and formations are irrelevant though really, any shape can be attacking minded if you want it to be. Unfortunately with us at the moment you expect us to be cautious to the extreme.

I don't want to see a three man midfield with the players we have but if I HAD to it would be with Downing in there instead of Leadbitter. He offers a lot more going forward alongside Howson. Harrison and Adama either side of Britt. But with the personel we have I want 4-4-2

Randolph

Shotton-Ayala-Gibbo-Friend

Traore-Howson-Besic-Downing

Britt-Bamford

anyone expecting a change in style or tactical set up are dreamers . Pulis is not suddenly going to change his philosophies ,maybe a small tweak in the centre of the park but thats about it . 

the best i can hope for is  dropping constant poor performers and  pedestrian players  but at present  all our forwards  are poor or off form  so its a bit depressing .

I don't want to see a three man midfield with the players we have but if I HAD to it would be with Downing in there instead of Leadbitter. He offers a lot more going forward alongside Howson. Harrison and Adama either side of Britt. But with the personel we have I want 4-4-2

Randolph

Shotton-Ayala-Gibbo-Friend

Traore-Howson-Besic-Downing

Britt-Bamford

Yeah I'd be happy playing Downing in a midfield 3 just not in the attacking positions. I actually think that might be his best position now, I don't think he's got the legs to play wide left anymore.

anyone expecting a change in style or tactical set up are dreamers . Pulis is not suddenly going to change his philosophies ,maybe a small tweak in the centre of the park but thats about it . 

the best i can hope for is  dropping constant poor performers and  pedestrian players  but at present  all our forwards  are poor or off form  so its a bit depressing .

Well he did change to three in the middle for the first time for the last game. So we can hope that he magically changes for something that has goals included. But regardless of formation it's most likely going to be depressing anyway :crying:

If you look at all the successful implementations of 4-3-3, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and closer to our level in Fulham. The midfield 3 is made up of at least two play makers, anchored by more of a disciplined midfielder who is still a capable passer. I think the key to a midfield 3 is having that threat, a midfield 3 of Besic, Leadbitter and Howson doesn't scream "danger!" to me...

I'd be happy to play 4-3-3 if the Midfield consisted more along the lines of Downing-Howson-Baker with Harrison, Assombalonga/Gestede and Adama infront. Especially with the Defensive back 4 we have we might actually start to threaten teams whilst staying relatively solid, alas I think this would be too proactive for a Pulis team...

Is the promotion push over for this season? (Obviously not mathematically but realistically)

I think so - our record against the top teams is dire so even making the playoffs won't help

What changes do we make for this?

I'd love us to play 4-4-2 with Britt and Bamford up top.

Traore and Harrison on the wings.

Besic and Harrison to start?

Yes for me, besic and howson in the middle.

Score prediction.

Easy 2-0, Hull are terrible, even more terrible than us!

#UTB

If you look at all the successful implementations of  4-3-3, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and closer to our level in Fulham. The midfield 3 is made up of at least two play makers, anchored by more of a disciplined midfielder who is still a capable passer. I think the key to a midfield 3 is having that threat, a midfield 3 of Besic, Leadbitter and Howson doesn't scream "danger!" to me...

I'd be happy to play 4-3-3 if the Midfield consisted more along the lines of Downing-Howson-Baker with Harrison, Assombalonga/Gestede and Adama infront. Especially with the Defensive back 4 we have we might actually start to threaten teams whilst staying relatively solid, alas I think this would be too proactive for a Pulis team...

I can see the midfield three working with

Howson - Clayton - Downing

With Clayton holding and the other two with licence to be more adventurous.  

Won't happen though, as he likes midfield destroyers.

If you look at all the successful implementations of  4-3-3, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and closer to our level in Fulham. The midfield 3 is made up of at least two play makers, anchored by more of a disciplined midfielder who is still a capable passer. I think the key to a midfield 3 is having that threat, a midfield 3 of Besic, Leadbitter and Howson doesn't scream "danger!" to me...

I can see the midfield three working with

Howson - Clayton - Downing

With Clayton holding and the other two with licence to be more adventurous.  

Won't happen though, as he likes midfield destroyers.

I don't think this is too far from what's happening at the moment, when Downing is playing through the centre he plays quite deep and it feels like more of a midfield 3 than a midfield 2. Going forward I think Besic and Howson will be the pairing, Besic seems to be able to spray long passes and make runs from deep.

I'm predicting another 1-0 defeat... But i'll be in Venice riding gondolas down the Grand Canal, drinking espressos on Piazza San Marco and eating Cicchetti at Cantina do Mori. So i'll probably not be too bothered. :cool: