oneBoro Forum

Boro v Hull City 3-1 (Gestede (2) Bamford)

GK- Randolph

RB - Shotton (unfortunately Pulis have left us with no one else)

CB - Ayala

CB - Gibson

LB - Friend

RM - Traore

CM - Besic

CM - Howson

LM - Downing

FW - Britt

FW - Gestede

If Pulis is adamant in this long ball ***, we need to start getting people around Gestede. Have Britt trying to pick up the breaking balls/ flick ons. Get Howson further up the field. We are at home to a poor Hull side. We should only need one holding midfield player in Besic.

All I want to see from this game is some attacking intent. If we get beat 4-3 then so be it. I’ll be much happier with that than a dour 0-0 draw.

and if that results in us missing the play off by one point?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

If we get beat 4-3, I'm willing to bet people will be focusing on the fact we've lost and how we could have prevented the goals we conceded. I can't imagine anyone leaving after a game against a side like Hull have been this season, having lost that game, focusing on the goals we managed to score through our attacking intent and putting all their thought into those positives. Maybe that's just me? I just can't see any defeat being a positive regardless of how it happens. Can't even see a draw being positive to be honest. We need points.

And then you remember how his competition played.

And then you remember how that really doesn't affect how good or bad Britt has been. :omg:

Touchè. We really are dire aren’t we

The attacking performance is really important tomorrow (for me anyway) and its not just about the 3 points. We got the 3 points against Reading but were so toothless and turgid that the Cardiff result should hardly have been a surprise for anyone. Limping past Hull and Sunderland only to get easily beat by the first half decent side we play will not be progress - we could do that under Monk.

Football is supposed to be enjoyable, so I would honestly also rather lose 4-3 than draw 0-0 tomorrow and at least get to cheer a few goals. We have failed to score in 5 out of the last 7 games, which is just miserable whatever positive spin people want to try and put on it.

Playing negative safety first football with 3 defensive mids is a pill most fans will swallow if you keep winning - but not if you just lose every other game anyway and bore everyone while you're at it. Basically what Pulis was just sacked for at WBA.

Boroform just posted that its 388 minutes since Britt's last goal. So, if he had been playing full games, it would be just over 4.. not so bad when you look at it like that.

If he'd been playing full games and still not scored then it would have been more than four  :omg:

The attacking performance is really important tomorrow (for me anyway) and its not just about the 3 points. We got the 3 points against Reading but were so toothless and turgid that the Cardiff result should hardly have been a surprise for anyone. Limping past Hull and Sunderland only to get easily beat by the first half decent side we play will not be progress - we could do that under Monk.

Football is supposed to be enjoyable, so I would honestly also rather lose 4-3 than draw 0-0 tomorrow and at least get to cheer a few goals. We have failed to score in 5 out of the last 7 games, which is just miserable whatever positive spin people want to try and put on it.

Playing negative safety first football with 3 defensive mids is a pill most fans will swallow if you keep winning - but not if you just lose every other game anyway and bore everyone while you're at it. Basically what Pulis was just sacked for at WBA.

This is exactly the point.  Football is not just sport, it is entertainment, and most teams don't win all the time, so they need to entertain too.  Most fans can forgive less than sparkling football if the team is winning week in, week out.  Only the fans of a select few teams, like Barcelona, get to enjoy the winning and the beautiful football.

It is by and large a sport though. Teams don't win or lose based on entertainment, it's not the X Factor. They win or lose based on the number of goals scored. You don't score goals just by being more entertaining than the other team. The year we got promoted, Huddersfield must have been one of the most entertaining sides in the division under Wagner, do you think they were happy getting smashed 3/4-0 as if they were just neutrals there to watch a game of football?

I understand wanting a team to be entertaining, we all want to be able to have an entertaining team. But we literally just 2 months ago got rid of a manager who claimed he wanted to provide entertaining, attacking football. We gave him the best squad he could have asked for for the way he wanted to play and he cocked it up. Do we take his aspirations as a positive? I'd say no because what he aspired to do failed. Not just him who aspired to do that, but the club as a whole. As someone alluded to earlier on the forum, something at the club seemingly isn't capable of providing an effective and entertaining team, regardless of money.

The only manager we've had since relegation in 2009 who has got the fans back into the stadium and given them something worth cheering for has been Aitor Karanka, not a manager who you'd describe as someone with entertaining football at the core of his footballing principles, simply an effective style that with the right players took us up.

I particularly don't understand how people decide to use Wolves as an example of what we can and should be too, forgetting that that team has coaxed players that only Premier League teams could have hoped to sign before them. Do you think Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota or Helder Costa would have come to the Boro? Do you even think we'd have a chance of bringing their manager here before he went to Wolves? They're Jorge Mendes' team, they're not your average joes with a bit of extra money, they literally have the pulling force of one of the world's biggest football agents, nothing like our relationship ever was with him. And is that sustainable in the long term too? We shall see.

I don't get the entertainment argument, if you want entertainment then go to the cinema.

***nal are pleasing on the eye but ask their fans if they'd swap that for another league title.

Britt to start, Britt to score, Boro to win, the world seems a better place again.

And we’d thought km had more than one personality :)  Have you bought one of his

I think Britt will start tomorrow.  We are playing against a crap team so I think there's a fair chance Britt will score tomorrow.  Assuming we can score a goal or two I'd fancy us to beat said crap team.  When Boro win people are happier.  It's as simple as that.

Britt to start, Britt to score, Boro to win, the world seems a better place again.

And we’d thought km had more than one personality :)  Have you bought one of his

I think Britt will start tomorrow.  We are playing against a crap team so I think there's a fair chance Britt will score tomorrow.  Assuming we can score a goal or two I'd fancy us to beat said crap team.  When Boro win people are happier.  It's as simple as that.

That’s fair enough CT 1. I’ll ask CT2 the question later :)

I don't get the entertainment argument, if you want entertainment then go to the cinema.

***nal are pleasing on the eye but ask their fans if they'd swap that for another league title.

How about asking their fans if they'd swap with West Brom or Stoke.

Sport is entertainment, if you don't get it then that's your failing not someone else's.  The ideal situation is your team playing great football and winning.  Everything other than that is a less ideal scenario.  I don't believe there is anyone who would take playing crap football and winning over playing great football and winning.  People might accept playing crap football and winning over playing great football and losing but fortunately that isn't a trade off that has to be made.  At the moment we are playing crap football and not winning a lot of the time so I'm not sure why you can't understand people wanting to watch some decent football if we're going to lose games anyway?

We are almost certainly never going to be a successful team, generally speaking.  We are highly unlikely to challenge for the Premier League title or play in the Champions League.  Maybe if everything falls into place you can have one season like Leicester did but I would say the probability of something similar happening again any time soon is pretty small.  I'd also argue that the style of football Pulis has tended to employ is fairly limited in how far it can take you, hence he could only take Stoke and West Brom so far.  We are a similar sized club to those two so why would anyone expect us to be able to go further.  Now, I know the argument, it's not that Pulis will take us to these heights, he will simply take us so far and then someone else will come in and take us forward again.  Has that happened at Stoke and West Brom because it doesn't appear it has to me.

There's no reason why we can't be an entertaining side and achieve our goals - other teams have managed it.  We will not be that under Pulis and we certainly aren't that now, which means we are on the wrong track regardless of what your point of view is.