oneBoro Forum

Boro v Hull City 3-1 (Gestede (2) Bamford)

Good win still not happy with the subs, so negative and that kind of thing will let teams back in games.

I don’t understand how having more defensive players on the pitch automatically means we will let teams back in?

Surely if we are tight we are less likely concede. And therefore more likely to hold on. And therefore more likely to win.

Which will build confidence going into the next match. Which might give us more chance of winning then too.

Makes sense to me.

Is that a joke, before we made them defensive subs they were on the back foot. Then once we made the negative subs we sat back and invited them on they from the commentary it sounded like they were the more likely to score after that. If Hull had got a goal i guarantee they'd of got a draw out of the game because of the confidence of a goal and the fact we had taken off most of our forward thinking players off. Hull were their for a lashing tonight, instead of making them negative subs take Gestede off to rest him for Mackems and put Britt on to get his goal and his confidence back against a hull team that are shot by this point. Give Harrison his debut to see what he can do while its safe to do so with the cushion (a very nice debut), fine put clayton on but take leadbitter off who is probably tired.

No. Not a joke.

Harrison has already made his debut.

Teams that are behind often try to step it up in the last ten minutes. Who is to say that attacking substations wouldn’t have left us vulnerable to attack? And a higher probability of conceding a goal?

We of course willl never know. Just as you can’t possibly guarantee we would have drawn if we had conceded one.

We brought on the subs we did. And we won the game.

I am happy with that. And I am willing to trust that a man with 2 decades of managing at the top level knows more about what to do than any of us. No matter how much you may dislike his ‘style of football ‘

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I know this post will come across as over dramatic, negative, anti Pulis, etc but having driven across from Manchester to watch that dross I’ll say it anyway. Tactically that was painful to watch.

Let’s first make sure that everyone is fully aware that Hull were well and truly awful. I’ve only played amateur league football back in Ireland but I’ve played against much better teams than that Hull team tonight.

Problem is that we could easily have drawn that 3-3 had luck been against us. Those 2 substitutions were embarrassing. To go to a 5-4-1 (5-3-2) with 4 centre backs and 2 defensive midfielders against a team as poor as that Hull team were did nothing but attract pressure and give Hull an invitation back into the game. I know I shouldn’t be surprised but i was in disbelief with those two subs.

Onto players...

Friend had a bit of a mare. Tried hard as usual but everything he done went wrong and I felt a bit for him.

Randolph, Ayala, Fry, Besic and Shotton all solid.

Leadbitter was awful. Why he is still starting games I’ll never know.

I thought downing did well without being spectacular.

Traore was great entertainment as usual. Worked hard. Created plenty of opportunities. MOTM again

Bamford - superb goal but he is not a winger. Why Pulis has him out there astounds me. Why not play him off Gestede up front?

Gestede - very good. Isolated at times but caused problems and took his goals well.

Pulis - the less said the better.

Told ya we’d score three ;) could’ve done without conceding from a corner :(

You gotta give them that it was a very well worked corner though!

Lots of good finishes in that game tonight.

I must have missed something there, from memory it was a simple pass to there edge of the box whilst our defenders were napping (AGAIN). Haven’t seen it back yet mind

Good win still not happy with the subs, so negative and that kind of thing will let teams back in games.

I don’t understand how having more defensive players on the pitch automatically means we will let teams back in?

Surely if we are tight we are less likely concede. And therefore more likely to hold on. And therefore more likely to win.

Which will build confidence going into the next match. Which might give us more chance of winning then too.

Makes sense to me.

Is that a joke, before we made them defensive subs they were on the back foot. Then once we made the negative subs we sat back and invited them on they from the commentary it sounded like they were the more likely to score after that. If Hull had got a goal i guarantee they'd of got a draw out of the game because of the confidence of a goal and the fact we had taken off most of our forward thinking players off. Hull were their for a lashing tonight, instead of making them negative subs take Gestede off to rest him for Mackems and put Britt on to get his goal and his confidence back against a hull team that are shot by this point. Give Harrison his debut to see what he can do while its safe to do so with the cushion (a very nice debut), fine put clayton on but take leadbitter off who is probably tired.

No. Not a joke.

Harrison has already made his debut.

Teams that are behind often try to step it up in the last ten minutes. Who is to say that attacking substations wouldn’t have left us vulnerable to attack? And a higher probability of conceding a goal?

We of course willl never know. Just as you can’t possibly guarantee we would have drawn if we had conceded one.

We brought on the subs we did. And we won the game.

I am happy with that. And I am willing to trust that a man with 2 decades of managing at the top level knows more about what to do than any of us. No matter how much you may dislike his ‘style of football ‘

Which one of the my suggestions were more attacking, id say they were like for like but freshening it up and I think if we keep attacking they are less likley to get a second and we are more likely to get the forth based upon their confidence been shot.

On a more positive note... I may have found a solution to our problems... I’ve dragged my girlfriend to 4 Boro matches so far...

Boro 3-1 Bournemouth

Boro 3-0 Sheff Wed (FA Cup)

Bolton 0-4 Boro

Boro 3-1 Hull

Just need to convince her to commit 46 games a season (and a lot of money) to the Boro cause.

On a more positive note... I may have found a solution to our problems... I’ve dragged my girlfriend to 4 Boro matches so far...

Boro 3-1 Bournemouth

Bolton 0-4 Boro

Boro 3-1 Hull

Just need to convince her to commit 46 games a season (and a lot of money) to the Boro cause.

With a record like that maybe she should be the manager JT?

Happy with the result. Performance was average really, would have liked to have seen us more attacking against a seriously seriously bad Hull team.

Thought Besic was nice and tidy. Thought Leadbitter was dross mind. Although we all know he’ll still start against Sunderland because his shouting and pointing was top draw again.

Boro 3-1 Bournemouth

Bolton 0-4 Boro

Boro 3-1 Hull

when did we beat Bournemouth 3 1, had you had one too many shandys that day sir...

Boro 3-1 Bournemouth

Bolton 0-4 Boro

Boro 3-1 Hull

when did we beat Bournemouth 3 1, had you had one too many shandys that day sir...

Haha 2-0 sorry. All I remember from that game was that Ramirez goal...

Boro 3-1 Bournemouth

Bolton 0-4 Boro

Boro 3-1 Hull

Haha 2-0 sorry. All I remember from that game was that Ramirez goal...

hah aye it was special man, he was on his day, shame really could have been a top player.

Told ya we’d score three ;) could’ve done without conceding from a corner :(

You gotta give them that it was a very well worked corner though!

Lots of good finishes in that game tonight.

I must have missed something there, from memory it was a simple pass to there edge of the box whilst our defenders were napping (AGAIN). Haven’t seen it back yet mind

but the finish was sweet, is more my point. It wasn't great defending, but it was still a top finish.