oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland (A) 3-3 (Bamford (2) Leadbitter)

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as bad as under Strachan. The quality of player is much higher with bad tactics.. Whereas Strachan was bad players with bad tactics.

So then, does that actually make it better or worse, if you see what I mean?

Under Strachan we had no real reason to be good whereas now it can be argued that we do.

It's not as bad as under Strachan. The quality of player is much higher with bad tactics.. Whereas Strachan was bad players with bad tactics.

So then, does that actually make it better or worse, if you see what I mean?

Under Strachan we had no real reason to be good whereas now it can be argued that we do.

The Strachan days did start off with high expectations too... perhaps hard to remember it now, but in the beginning there was a real buzz and genuine expectation that he was building a team with an identity that would challenge for promotion. Signing all these Celtic & Rangers players who had scored a combined 3,528 goals in the SPL and had played in the Champions League etc... then we realised half of them were crap while the rest couldn't be bothered, and it was all downhill from there.

They started off with high expectations because we'd just been relegated, you could say the same for us now. The difference is that didn't have a particularly good squad back then and signed some awful players on top of that unfortunately but we were in a cost cutting period. I'm not sure you can say that now.

They started off with high expectations because we'd just been relegated, you could say the same for us now.  The difference is that didn't have a particularly good squad back then and signed some awful players on top of that unfortunately but we were in a cost cutting period.  I'm not sure you can say that now.

Probably not but now we sign players who only last less then half a season or get nowhere near the match day squad.

What a strange recruitment policy we seem to have :(

They started off with high expectations because we'd just been relegated, you could say the same for us now.  The difference is that didn't have a particularly good squad back then and signed some awful players on top of that unfortunately but we were in a cost cutting period.  I'm not sure you can say that now.

The cost cutting period started after Strachan with Mowbray though.

And ofc the aim with this season was not to end 8th, but it still doesent mean we are garbage as most of you seem to think.

Maybe som of the players we have now also his not as good as we think, just with the players that we bought under Strachan?

Not really. When we went down, we signed Leroy Lita and Danny Coyne on a free, Mark Yeates for about £500k despite selling Downing for £12m early in the window, followed by another £17m from Huth, Tuncay and Alves later on.

And ofc the aim with this season was not to end 8th, but it still doesent mean we are garbage as most of you seem to think.

Maybe som of the players we have now also his not as good as we think, just with the players that we bought under Strachan?

Where was this positivity when Monk was here ;)

In all seriousness though we obviously aren’t garbage but it’s still thoroughly disappointing we are where we are considering our outlay on players and high expectations before the season. Hurts even more that the likes of Cardiff, Bristol are doing better than us despite (on paper) having inferior squads.

The cost cutting started before Strachan while we had Southgate as manager.  It continued on through Strachan and Mowbray until Karanka.

The cost cutting started after Eindhoven, I think Gibson knew that model was unsustainable.

We still spent big on transfers from time to time but the cloth cutting started back then especially with the wage bill.

Where was this positivity when Monk was here ;)

In all seriousness though we obviously aren’t garbage but it’s still thoroughly disappointing we are where we are considering our outlay on players and high expectations before the season. Hurts even more that the likes of Cardiff, Bristol are doing better than us despite (on paper) having inferior squads.

I was positive at start with Monk, and I realy thought that he got the away games right, think it was a bad time for the sacking, but if its true that he flirted with Swansea then I can understand it better

You'd think we'd see this:

-------------------- Randolph ------------------

-- Shotton --- Ayala -- Gibson --- Friend --

------------- Besic -------- Howson ------------ 

-- Traore ------- Downing ------ Bamford --

-------------------- Gestede ---------------------

But Tony might stroke his chin and go "hmmm it's a local deerrrrrby so I better make sure we really strangle the game" with leggy Leadboots in the team:

------------- Besic -------- Leadbitter --------- 

-- Traore ------- Downing ------ Bamford --

-------------------- Gestede ---------------------

Whereas if it were up to me, I'd say "right, the mackems are absolute pants, let's go there and torture them 4-0":

---------------------- Besic ------------------------ 

-- Traore ------- Downing ------ Harrison --

------------ Gestede --- Bamford -------------

Whatever team he puts out, I'm predicting goals from the entire backline from set pieces and we win 4-0.

UTB.

If Downing is starting to look a bit fatigued I'd like to see Baker given an opportunity, even if it's just off the bench. A midfield 3 of Besic, Howson and Baker would be a far cry from the trio of Forshaw, Clayton and De Roon of last year...

What has gone so horribly wrong for the Mackems? I don't care.

Do we care? No.

Any changes? Yes.

Or stick with the winning formula? Sort of. Not many changes.

Formation? See below.

------------------Randolph.

Shotton - Ayala - Fry/Gibson - Friend

---------------Howson - Besic

Traore ----- Bamford - Downing/Harrison

----------------Gestede

Really looking forward to this game. Doesn't matter that we're not playing great. Fact of the matter is that if we beat a woeful Sunderland we're right in the mix for the top 6. In fact, we're already right in the mix.

Personally would opt for Bamford up front in this one. He's not a winger. And as much as I understand Gestede really suits TPs setup, in a game we SHOULD dominate Bamford might better fit the mould. That said, lots of arguments against dropping the striker that just scored 2 in the previous game, so I wouldn't bemoan a carbon copy of the last lineup.

Would be interesting to see Harrison get a run out; lack of alternatives there and otherwise why did we bother bringing him in in the first place - would like to think he's a bit sharper now after several weeks training.

Maybe...

Randolph, Shotton, Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Howson, Besic, Traore, Downing, Harrison, Bamford.