oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland (A) 3-3 (Bamford (2) Leadbitter)

No way we will change formation. It will be a straight swap for Britt... interesting to see how this will work though as Pulis clearly doesn't fancy him in that lone striker role.

If we can adapt the attack to suit Britt more then this could be okay as he is a better goalscorer... but tactical flexibility does not seem to be one of Pulis's strengths

Also feel very bad for Gestede... very cruel right when he got his goals and was probably on cloud nine

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be the making of Paddy or Britt, one of whom now has to play as a striker. If its Paddy, then probably one of Harrison or Baker has to come into the fold.

Of course what will probably happen is that Clayts will start in a 3 clogger midfield.

Traore up front, Downing on the right, Harrison on the left, Besic, Leadbitter and Howson in the middle of the park  :idea:

I believe Mr Slaven made the point that by not bringing in another forward should we have an injury we would be woefully short up front, and that has now come home to roost, lets hope we can keep Paddy and Britt fit for the rest of the season, poor again from us not replacing Braithwaite.

It's hardly come home to roost, we don't even know how the season is gonna pan out without Gestede yet. We were top of the table a few years ago at Xmas with only two strikers in Kike and Nugent.

I believe Mr Slaven made the point that by not bringing in another forward should we have an injury we would be woefully short up front, and that has now come home to roost, lets hope we can keep Paddy and Britt fit for the rest of the season, poor again from us not replacing Braithwaite.

TBF, we did try to sign a striker and were very close to. Fulham nicked him off us. Maybe in the grand scheme of things there wasn't a great deal of chance of it happening with us, the only chance we had is if Fulham had wrapped up a deal earlier than finding out the Anderlecht deal had fallen through. But I doubt there will have been many available who we could bring in for negligible fees/loans.

Rudy Gestede is out for the season broken ankle

So the rumours were true then it seems.  So now we have two strikers available, neither of which Pulis appears to really fancy  :frown: :nervous:

Some may see this as a blessing in disguise however I do not what it does show how sadly lacking the club has been in planning for eventualities such as this and how ridiculous our January transfer window was. :(

I just hope Britt and Paddy come to the party and that they get the chances someone mentioned about Clayton earlier and they may be correct and that we become even more defensive

Would anyone fancy seeing Ayala up front?

I'm certain it has crossed Pulis' mind :funny: Eventually we will probably line up 5-3-2-0 with Bamford as false winger and Leadbitter, Clayton and Besic in midfield :liar:

Semantics maybe but i don't think i 100% agree with that. Yes we didn't spend as much with Southgate in the Championship than we did in the Prem, but that goes without saying doesn't it. There was still money to spend under Southgate and there was still plenty to spend under Strachan. Mowbray was the first to be tasked with selling before he could buy to clear out the squad. Karanka just cleared out the players he didn't want.

The cost cutting started before we were even relegated. It started because we'd accrued a huge amount of debt and certain financial institutions were putting the squeeze on. This is what lead to the ins and outs we had while still in the Premier League. 

After relegation we signed Danny Coyne, Mark Yeates and Leroy Lita - do you honestly believe this was because these were the players we really wanted? Southgate got the push and Strachan took over. In October we got rid of Alves and then In the January we sold Johnson for £7m. This money was used to fund the players we signed under Strachan - McDonald, Robson, Miller, Flood and Killen, which was about £5m in fees. The only 'big' earner a*** them was McDonald. McManus was a loan signing and we didn't make it permanent until the summer. Bailey joined in the summer as did Thomson for a couple of million and Boyd on a free. Pogatez, Digard, Aliadiere and Riggott were all off the books in that summer. We also sold Brad Jones to Liverpool for a couple of million as well. Killen also left. In the January we sold Wheater to Bolton and finally got O'Neil off the books.

The problem that we had is that the players we'd brought in were garbage or at least not much good for the most part so we couldn't sell them on for anything and this created more problems after Mowbray took over - we'd have been able to spend more if we'd been able to sell more. Of course we couldn't because Boyd came and went on a free, Robson went for nothing, we couldn't give McDonald away, same goes for Bailey, Thomson and McManus. Other than the odd sale like Bennett, we couldn't generate funds by this point really. It was only when Gibson decided to have another spin on the roulette wheel that we started spending again and this was under Mowbray the summer before he left and then carried on by Karanka when he took over. He was only able to do this because of what we'd done behind the scenes.

As i said it's semantics. Every team cuts their cloth accordingly when they're relegated. We reduced spending after the largest outlay in our history....who'd have thought it? We continued spending under Southgate and Strachan. We stopped spending anything of note and started cutting our cloth accordingly under Mowbray. Mowbray balanced the books not Strachan or Southgate.

I think you will see change of formation because of this injury

4-3-2-1

Randolph

Shotton Ayala Gibson Friend

Besic Howson Leadbitter

Adama downing

Bamford

Let's hope not. That midfield three :disappointed: Let's be a bit more progressive against the bottom of the league club. We have to score some goals.

I think you will see change of formation because of this injury

4-3-2-1

Randolph

Shotton Ayala Gibson Friend

Besic Howson Leadbitter

Adama downing

Bamford

Let's hope not. That midfield three :disappointed: Let's be a bit more progressive against the bottom of the league club. We have to score some goals.

Totally agree but unfortunately we all realise how negative Pulis can be especially with his subs....

He really doesnt fancy Britt from what i have heard so can see Bamford playing as lone striker till end of season.

Britt will only come on if we are chasing a game, i hope im wrong!

This is the opportunity to play Bamford and Britt together that i believe we have been crying out for