oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland (A) 3-3 (Bamford (2) Leadbitter)

As i said it's semantics. Every team cuts their cloth accordingly when they're relegated. We reduced spending after the largest outlay in our history....who'd have thought it? We continued spending under Southgate and Strachan. We stopped spending anything of note and started cutting our cloth accordingly under Mowbray. Mowbray balanced the books not Strachan or Southgate.

It's really not semantics.  You're talking about something that didn't happen and I'm talking about something that did.  Mowbray didn't balance the books any point.  Do you even know what that means?

If you'd like to spend your friday afternoon explaining what "balancing the books" means to a stranger, please feel free to go ahead.

As an aside though, do you often take a literal meaning of blaise posts in an 'off the cuff' environment?

Why would I want to do that when you're clearly an expert on the subject?

Literal meaning or any other meaning, Mowbray didn't balance the books as I've explained previously and we only spent money we'd brought in under the other two managers.  Once we stopped bringing money in we stopped spending it until Gibson was ready to go again at which point our wage bill increased by a sizeable amount as did our transfer spending.  At no point before that time were we not making substantial losses.

Was this before or after Mowbray? Your point has become a little fuzzy.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this before or after Mowbray? Your point has become a little fuzzy.

Was what before Mowbray?  Gibson ready to go again?  I'd say he signalled that when we brought in Adomah, Butterfield etc in the summer before Mowbray left.  That was a shift from what we'd seen previously.  At this point the financial issues had been resolved in the sense that the squeeze was off from the bank but we were still making big losses.  This never stopped.  

Our wage bill at the point we got promoted in 2015/16 was higher than it would have been under Strachan and higher than at any point since we were in the Premier League.   In fact the 18 month period up to June 2011, which encompasses Strachan's time here, the total staff costs were £40.9m.  The 12 month period leading up to promotion the staff costs were £32.3m.  

The issue was never about balancing the books or anything else.  It was about the football club accruing a huge amount of debt because our costs were unsustainable even in the Premier League.  The credit crunch happened, financial institutions got nervous, everyone got squeezed and we were no different. Gibson gradually dealt with it and then when he was ready to go again we started spending at a rate we hadn't since being in the Premier League.  To put it into context, our total staff costs in our final Premier League season under Southgate were lower than the promotion season under Karanka.

I'm not saying Mowbray had an easy job because he certainly didn't.   But the only person dealing with the financial stuff was Gibson and it was only when he decided that he was ready to go again that things began to change.  It was all about Gibson and obviously it still is.

Getting back to the game itself winning is massively important because if Hull can get a win or draw tonight we will get into the top 6 due to us having a better g/d than Bristol City who play Cardiff on Sunday at Cardiff's gaff.

I mentioned about Boro teasing the fans well that time has come so hopefully we will do what needs to be done, after all we still play both Sheffield United and Bristol City so from this point onwards our top 6 fate is in our own hands.

It's important because it's a game we should be winning, that other clubs have managed to get the points in and we have to do the same.  We're probably going to need somewhere between 18 and 25 points from our remaining 13 games to finish in the top 6.  So a basic way of looking at it would be to say that 8 wins from these 13 games will likely see us in the play offs, assuming we pick up a draw or two as well.  This is one that should be easier to win than others so we need to get the job done.

"it's a massive blow for us, out of all our strikers he's looked the most likely to score" - Tony Pulis on Gestede, a challenge to Britt and Paddy? I don't know whether public criticism is the best way to go about it, but he's an experienced manager...

"it's a massive blow for us, out of all our strikers he's looked the most likely to score" - Tony Pulis on Gestede, a challenge to Britt and Paddy? I don't know whether public criticism is the best way to go about it, but he's an experienced manager...

I can't imagine he tells them any less in person and I don't think some of the stuff he's said is as bad as what Karanka said towards the end of his tenure.

And after all, we previously had Monk who said the square root of bugger all during his interviews and everybody hated that lack of ingenuity and character.

I can't imagine he tells them any less in person and I don't think some of the stuff he's said is as bad as what Karanka said towards the end of his tenure.

And after all, we previously had Monk who said the square root of bugger all during his interviews and everybody hated that lack of ingenuity and character.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than it is to open your mouth and confirm it.

That quote from Pulis is just plain stupid. Gestede has hardly looked like scoring since August, Bamford is played on the wing and we don’t play to britts strengths like we do with Gestede.

Please tell me he didn't actually say that.

Although, as Gestede was the only one he was 

a, playing and

b, playing in his true position

He has a point, as obtuse as it is.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than it is to open your mouth and confirm it.

That quote from Pulis is just plain stupid. Gestede has hardly looked like scoring since August, Bamford is played on the wing and we don’t play to britts strengths like we do with Gestede.

What's stupid about it? It's the truth. Regardless of whether you agree with the way he plays or not, it's true. Out of all 3 strikers, Gestede has looked the most likely to score goals since Pulis took charge. It's just a fact.

And that's not even saying he has always looked likely to score. In fact, Gestede being a hugely limited player says even more about those that couldn't take the shirt from him.

Absolutely we don't play to Britt's strengths. But should we have to to get him to actually do something on the pitch? Is our team Britt Assombalonga FC? The lad hasn't put a shift in since Pulis came in from what I've seen. He looked alright at home to Bolton when Pulis was in the stands and that's the last decent game he had AFAIC.

That Preston game still sticks in the mind, he was bloody atrocious and it certainly wasn't just as a result of playing ahead of Guedioura. He started the game, did nothing for a whole half of football and got dragged off for Gestede and rightfully so.