oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland (A) 3-3 (Bamford (2) Leadbitter)

If the option was there, I'd sack him. We need to look at progressing for the future; building an identity and something the fans can get behind. Tony Pulis is not the man for that job. He was a knee-jerk, reactionary and desperate appointment who didn't suit the squad at his disposal or what the club needs to build in the long term.

I've always been one for giving managers more time than most, but I see zero sense or strategy in Tony Pulis being the Boro manager.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a period when I thought yes we are beginning to improve and was happy to see how things would progress with Tony Pulis however as many on here seem to think I do not believe he is the right man for us to progress but we have to wait and see.

I will admit that a part of me thinks we may have been better off letting Monk continue as there were signs that we were getting our act together, ok he was not getting the best from Traore but we will never know now, one thing for sure is that we could suffer badly with the four game ban if we do not win our case for getting the card overturned and in hindsight maybe it would have been better for us had Gestede not had his card rescinded!

At least he would have been able to come back into the squad

The thought of watching boring defensive football next season under Pulis fills me with dread, I honestly hope Gibson sees the light and tells Pulis its been a mistake. Given the type of player Pulis would bring in I believe there will be a huge downturn in season ticket sales and Gibson should be prepared for this, fans will only take so much. .

I think Gibson needs to see the light in a lot of things. It's been a backwards slide with countless mistakes since Southgate.

It's just a constant rebuild with every manager and not seeming to go anywhere or build on anything. Then we just end up with the same issues as the past regime.

It's like it's been groundhog day for the past decade.

Not saying Gibson needs to sell up, or to even hand over the reigns and take a back seat, but he does need to reassess a lot of things and own up to a fair few howlers.

I wouldn’t sack him. I’d even give him the summer too, only fair really. I do think though if we start next season the way we started/are going this season he’ll get the bullet.

Only problem with that is if we sack Pulis early next season we'll get yet another manager with a group of players that he might not want.

Unless Woodgate IS Pulis' successor.

Oh God.

I think Gibson needs to see the light in a lot of things. It's been a backwards slide with countless mistakes since Southgate.

It's just a constant rebuild with every manager and not seeming to go anywhere or build on anything. Then we just end up with the same issues as the past regime.

Not saying Gibson needs to sell up, or to even hand over the reigns and take a back seat, but he does need to reassess a lot of things and own up to a fair few howlers.

I thought we were promoted the season before last after nearly 10 years in the Championship? I could be wrong like and that didn't happen..

I thought we were promoted the season before last after nearly 10 years in the Championship? I could be wrong like and that didn't happen..

Next season will probably be our 9th in the championship in 10 years. I think talking of sacking Pulis now is completely ridiculous, there might be an argument for it in the summer but who can trust Gibson to get it right if we need a replacement anyway?

He does his best but some of Gibson's decision making has been awful, I don't see how he can be the best chairman in the game like some people suggest when he gets so much wrong.

Pulis is quickly losing the fans, but expectations are also too high, imo. The squad isn't the best in the league, it's top 6 for sure, but no-where near Wolves/Villa..

Garry Monk seemed a good appointment at the time - I'd rather be giving him to get it right, than Pulis.

Karanka great appointment

Mowbray good - did the job needed of him

Strachan bad

Southgate was an odd one, but even he did well for a long period before the money was stopped.

Southgate - bad appointment

Strachan - bad appointment

Mowbray - wasn't backed by Gibson so hard to see either way

Karanka - good appointment

Monk - bad appointment

Pulis - ?

Since McClaren left the decision making at the top has been a joke.

For the record who would sack Pulis now?

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't either. I think the only time we can get rid of Pulis sensibly is in the summer. But even then, I think that would be harsh on him. All the managers we've had in the past 15 years have had the chance to build something. Maybe arguments for Strachan and Monk but Strachan got to bring in some decent Scottish division players and find out they weren't any good in the Championship (barring Barry Robson) and Monk got to rebuild an entire squad in the summer.

But then what will Pulis build here? Will it be a quick success? There's still the point that he will only have 12 months left on his contract come the summer and combining the request to have that length of a contract with his clear desire to move back with his family... I don't see that being extended.

I'm open-minded about whatever he's doing behind the scenes. I highly doubt he's turning the club into Pulis-ball from the ground up which I bet some on here fear. I don't think Gibson wants that.

I just think that apart from Strachan recently, Steve Gibson has worked with inexperienced managers for a very long time now. People say Gibson might not have enough football men around him, well Pulis is that connection for me. I'm absolutely 100% convinced his role here is above and beyond that of what happens on the pitch in the here and now. It's not easy to accept that as a fan given what we all look forward to is the match but who knows, what Mowbray did to keep the club going during a spell of re-working things financially has been well-lauded, I hope whatever Pulis is doing will have the same effect.

For the record who would sack Pulis now?

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't either. I think the only time we can get rid of Pulis sensibly is in the summer. But even then, I think that would be harsh on him. All the managers we've had in the past 15 years have had the chance to build something. Maybe arguments for Strachan and Monk but Strachan got to bring in some decent Scottish division players and find out they weren't any good in the Championship (barring Barry Robson) and Monk got to rebuild an entire squad in the summer.

But then what will Pulis build here? Will it be a quick success? There's still the point that he will only have 12 months left on his contract come the summer and combining the request to have that length of a contract with his clear desire to move back with his family... I don't see that being extended.

I'm open-minded about whatever he's doing behind the scenes. I highly doubt he's turning the club into Pulis-ball from the ground up which I bet some on here fear. I don't think Gibson wants that.

I just think that apart from Strachan recently, Steve Gibson has worked with inexperienced managers for a very long time now. People say Gibson might not have enough football men around him, well Pulis is that connection for me. I'm absolutely 100% convinced his role here is above and beyond that of what happens on the pitch in the here and now. It's not easy to accept that as a fan given what we all look forward to is the match but who knows, what Mowbray did to keep the club going during a spell of re-working things financially has been well-lauded, I hope whatever Pulis is doing will have the same effect.

Good post Wilson

The question is would it really matter. I belive we have a club in the championship fit for the size of the town. Get use to the idea we are not a premier club anymore and we may in the future have forays but we are not big enough to maintain momentum. The championship will provide more wins than we can expect in the premier so with prospects of decent games we should see larger crowds. Pulis for me was a suprise choice but there again over the years nothing from SG surprises me anymore. Football has become far to expensive for many other than elite clubs with money to burn, we are not one.

I think to be fair SD, the main reason clubs sustain any kind of 'financial stability' in the Prem is by staying there through the TV money. It's not through how big or small they are. Look at Bournemouth, 10k every week is nothing compared to the rest of the division, in terms of who they are, they don't fit the bill that you describe, they're absolutely nowhere near what you'd consider an 'elite' club. But by making the right decisions, by playing effective football, they look like continuing to maintain that status. I don't think we need to follow their example to a tee but they are concrete proof that getting promoted as a smaller club doesn't mean you can't maintain your position up there.

And I don't think our time in the Championship backs up your theory of stronger crowds either. We were at our best in crowds when challenging for promotion and in our sole season in the Premier League last time out, if I'm not mistaken.

So just watched the highlights.

It was Jack Harrisons man that was so free for the final seconds equaliser, not a great start for the lad, he doesn't even try and follow him :(

Two great finishes from Bamford, although he tried his best to make the second unnecessarily hard for himself!

Great pass by Besic too for Bamfords 2nd.

I'm still ***ed by the game, we should never be dropping points to Sunderland, but at least Paddy seems to have found his scoring boots again.

I was waiting to board a plane yesterday, whilst following the game on here, we took off just after the 1st half finished, so I had 3 hours of being fairly certain that having lost Traore and being a goal down, we would probably lose, especially after reading the comments of those listening to the game, on here.

Imagine my joy when I landed and switched on my phone to find that we’d managed a 3-3 draw and edged closer to the playoff places.

UTB.