oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland (A) 3-3 (Bamford (2) Leadbitter)

For the record who would sack Pulis now?

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't sack him.  I'd wait until we were on the team bus going somewhere, then I'd nick his cap off his head and throw it out the window.  Then when he steps out to go and collect it I'd tell the bus driver to go and just leave him there.  He'll get the message, don't worry.

More seriously, there's no logical reason not to sack him, certainly in the summer once we've missed out on the play offs.  He isn't the long term future of this football club.  I don't believe most people would want him to be even if that was an option.  So what would the point be in keeping him on past the end of the season?  He spends money and buys players suited to what he wants to do quite rightly.  Then we get rid of him and get another manager in who wants to try and play a bit of football and we've got a squad that aren't suited to that.  Cue another period of reorganisation and going precisely nowhere.  We can't compete financially with a lot of clubs, which means we have to try and be smarter than them and sadly this is something we are failing miserably at.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

So just watched the highlights.

It was Jack Harrisons man that was so free for the final seconds equaliser, not a great start for the lad, he doesn't even try and follow him :(

Two great finishes from Bamford, although he tried his best to make the second unnecessarily hard for himself!

Great pass by Besic too for Bamfords 2nd.

I'm still *** by the game, we should never be dropping points to Sunderland, but at least Paddy seems to have found his scoring boots again.

I still think, that Shotton should have followed McManaman.. Try to follow him around the last goal.. His outa position, I guess.

Bamford is class

Besic too

On a side note.. Sunderlands J. Clarke-Salter should be nicknamed J. Clarke-Salto after he sent Traore spinning through the air :D

And

Shooton looks bad on all 3 goals ... Have a look, if in doubt!

It was Jack Harrisons man that was so free for the final seconds equaliser, not a great start for the lad, he doesn't even try and follow him :(

Two great finishes from Bamford, although he tried his best to make the second unnecessarily hard for himself!

I'm still *** by the game, we should never be dropping points to Sunderland, but at least Paddy seems to have found his scoring boots again.

I still think, that Shotton should have followed McManaman.. Try to follow him around the last goal.. His outa position, I guess.

Bamford is class

Besic too

Wouldn't Shotton have had his own man? On the replay it's definitely Harrison shadowing McManaman, and then as the ball is played in McManaman just loops round and Harrison doesn't go with him. Couldn't quite see not sure if he got blocked off or was just confused.

I think to be fair SD, the main reason clubs sustain any kind of 'financial stability' in the Prem is by staying there through the TV money. It's not through how big or small they are. Look at Bournemouth, 10k every week is nothing compared to the rest of the division, in terms of who they are, they don't fit the bill that you describe, they're absolutely nowhere near what you'd consider an 'elite' club. But by making the right decisions, by playing effective football, they look like continuing to maintain that status. I don't think we need to follow their example to a tee but they are concrete proof that getting promoted as a smaller club doesn't mean you can't maintain your position up there.

And I don't think our time in the Championship backs up your theory of stronger crowds either. We were at our best in crowds when challenging for promotion and in our sole season in the Premier League last time out, if I'm not mistaken.

Absolutely spot on, clubs like Bournemouth and Burnley aren't bigger than us they've just invested wisely not only in the managers they've appointed, but also the calibre of players they've invested in, and by not blowing their transfer budgets which is ultimately where we failed.

I was waiting to board a plane yesterday, whilst following the game on here, we took off just after the 1st half finished, so I had 3 hours of being fairly certain that having lost Traore and being a goal down, we would probably lose, especially after reading the comments of those listening to the game, on here.

Imagine my joy when I landed and switched on my phone to find that we’d managed a 3-3 draw and edged closer to the playoff places.

UTB.

Good positive post Billy! Nice perspective.

(It probably helps not having to follow the 7 minutes of injury time... kind of knowing that BORO were going to blow it (again), like we seem to)!!

Bamford is class

Besic too

Wouldn't Shotton have had his own man? On the replay it's definitely Harrison shadowing McManaman, and then as the ball is played in McManaman just loops round and Harrison doesn't go with him. Couldn't quite see not sure if he got blocked off or was just confused.

I have watched the replay of that goal like 50 times, and shotton, who is a defender (Harrison is not), has no man to mark .. He pushes one of our own and doesn't follow McManaman, even when he could have cut him off...

Harrisons man is McGeady in my Opinion

Bamford is class

Besic too

I have watched the replay of that goal like 50 times, and shotton, who is a defender (Harrison is not), has no man to mark .. He pushes one of our own and doesn't follow McManaman, even when he could have cut him off...

https://9gag.com/gag/aPjBbQV

Bamford is class

Besic too

I've watched it again and I actually think that Shotton has number 23 and Harrison has 13 (McManaman). Number 23 stands in front of Harrison and then runs towards the ball, while 13 swings around the back post. This seems to entirely confuse Shotton and Harrison who don't take either man.

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't sack him.  I'd wait until we were on the team bus going somewhere, then I'd nick his cap off his head and throw it out the window.  Then when he steps out to go and collect it I'd tell the bus driver to go and just leave him there.  He'll get the message, don't worry.

More seriously, there's no logical reason not to sack him, certainly in the summer once we've missed out on the play offs.  He isn't the long term future of this football club.  I don't believe most people would want him to be even if that was an option.  So what would the point be in keeping him on past the end of the season?  He spends money and buys players suited to what he wants to do quite rightly.  Then we get rid of him and get another manager in who wants to try and play a bit of football and we've got a squad that aren't suited to that.  Cue another period of reorganisation and going precisely nowhere.  We can't compete financially with a lot of clubs, which means we have to try and be smarter than them and sadly this is something we are failing miserably at.

I said earlier that I can see the logic of changing manager in the summer, I don't see the logic of sacking him before then.

The question is would it really matter. I belive we have a club in the championship fit for the size of the town. Get use to the idea we are not a premier club anymore and we may in the future have forays but we are not big enough to maintain momentum. The championship will provide more wins than we can expect in the premier so with prospects of decent games we should see larger crowds. Pulis for me was a suprise choice but there again over the years nothing from SG surprises me anymore. Football has become far to expensive for many other than elite clubs with money to burn, we are not one.

There's probably 10 teams in the Premier league that are historically no bigger than us, they've just been ran a lot better.

I wouldn't.

We [collectively] keep talking about the long term future of the football club, yet the majority of us are far more focused on the short term in terms of getting results, promotion, and exciting players (Gibson actually spending).

I think the appointment of Tony Pulis makes sense in the short term and it is a desperate attempt to nick that last promotion spot. Time will tell if it was the right decision, but it is hard to deny that Gibson did not listen to the demands cries of the fans: getting Premier League football next season.

Problem is, Nics, even if we go up this season we're simply not ready for Premiership football. We'd be slaughtered. Or otherwise need yet another mass overhaul.

Sometimes you take one step backwards to take two steps forward. In the long term, I see the appointment of Pulis being the vice-versa of that.