oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland (A) 3-3 (Bamford (2) Leadbitter)

Problem is, Nics, even if we go up this season we're simply not ready for Premiership football. We'd be slaughtered. Or otherwise need yet another mass overhaul.

Sometimes you take one step backwards to take two steps forward. In the long term, I see the appointment of Pulis being the vice-versa of that.

I guess a lot of Burnley fans and pundits thought the same when they bounced straight back up with quite a few of the same players that were relegated. Pulis would probably be better in the Prem than another year in the Championship.

If we go up I'd keep him as it would probably be our best bet of staying up, but if we don't go up I'd find someone else.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, Nics, even if we go up this season we're simply not ready for Premiership football. We'd be slaughtered. Or otherwise need yet another mass overhaul.

Sometimes you take one step backwards to take two steps forward. In the long term, I see the appointment of Pulis being the vice-versa of that.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I don't particularly like the Pulis appointment. I've been saying for a long time that we don't have an identity as a club except for the "Gibson is the best chairmen in football." 

I think, generally, Gibson has been listening to the fans. We appointed an up and coming English manager in Monk. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out. And it's not working out with Pulis either. I'm fairly certain Pulis will be given another season. Why else would Gibson allow him to sell/buy very, very specific players that hardly fit any other formation/strategy than his. 

Let's just hope we don't take two steps backwards (3 seasons in the Championship).

my take on the three blunderland goals.

the first, once their guy flicked it on near post we were in trouble. watch the replay, its gibbo's man totally free from a long throw. after that they got the rub of the green/ a bit lucky with the ball dropping nice for him. gibbo's slack marking made that goal possible.

the second, pure jam. he hits it well enough. but how the heck did it sneak though 3 of our players without contact. they got in behind us but we had covering players and we unlucky imo. that would normally be blocked away.

the third was a shambles. all our guys moved towards the kicker leaving a massive gap at the back post. ball watching, pulis must have been fuming.

in summary, they were pretty lucky to score the goals they did and also pretty fortunate to only concede the 3. an off day for us where the home side got the rub of the green.

i think we look a bit low on confidence, britt looks off the pace, few players look leggy. pulis maybe needs more squad rotation.

the first, once their guy flicked it on near post we were in trouble.  watch the replay, its gibbo's man totally free from a long throw.  after that they got the rub of the green/ a bit lucky with the ball dropping nice for him.  gibbo's slack marking made that goal possible.

the second, pure jam. he hits it well enough. but how the heck did it sneak though 3 of our players without contact.  they got in behind us but we had covering players and we unlucky imo. that would normally be blocked away.

the third was a shambles. all our guys moved towards the kicker leaving a massive gap at the back post. ball watching, pulis must have been fuming.

in summary, they were pretty lucky to score the goals they did and also pretty fortunate to only concede the 3. an off day for us where the home side got the rub of the green.  

i think we look a bit low on confidence, britt looks off the pace, few players look leggy. pulis maybe needs more squad rotation.

No they were not lucky. We were poor so it was our own fault. You cannot give luck credit for those goals. The first was as you say poor marking and a small player like Asoro shouldn't be able to get a ball at his feet like that against Gibbo, Ayala and Shotton. The second goal Williams was completely unmarked and the third goal was an intelligent run and finish from a player we left completely unmarked. We were poor they were not lucky.

I never agree with this philosophy personally. You can be the best prepared team, go up and still struggle. At least if you go up you can build the club with the revenue you receive. I still don't think we'll make the playoffs let alone get through them anyway.

I never agree with this philosophy personally. You can be the best prepared team, go up and still struggle. At least if you go up you can build the club with the revenue you receive. I still don't think we'll make the playoffs let alone get through them anyway.

I agree with this.. Look at Huddersfield.. No way were they ready to go up, but they did and they are flourishing now

I can understand that thinking, but I'd personally rather take another season in the Championship and go up with a squad better suited to our manager and with a group of players who play with unity and understanding.

Using the prior mentioned Burnley reference, if we went up I'd rather keep most of a squad together with perhaps 2-3 signings to strengthen rather than another summer of a huge overhaul; that doesn't set you up well for survival generally.

Either way, this summer will be an overhaul under Pulis wether we're in the Prem or Champo. Taking aside my personal feeing regarding his suitability for he job - If Pulis were to take us up, I'd rather it be with the core of his system and personnel already embedded rather than with the shambles we're seeing right now.

I can understand that thinking, but I'd personally rather take another season in the Championship and go up with a squad better suited to our manager and with a group of players who play with unity and understanding.

Using the prior mentioned Burnley reference, if we went up I'd rather keep most of a squad together with perhaps 2-3 signings to strengthen rather than another summer of a huge overhaul; that doesn't set you up well for survival generally.

Either way, this summer will be an overhaul under Pulis wether we're in the Prem or Champo. Taking aside my personal feeing regarding his suitability for he job - If Pulis were to take us up, I'd rather it be with the core of his system and personnel already embedded rather than with the shambles we're seeing right now.

I think we did that last time around. Either way, we managed to somewhat disrupt that unity with an influx of Spanish players. I still think the internal culture of the team greatly contributed to our downfall - and not just tactics and the relative skill of our players.

Pulis is more experienced than Karanka and would Arguably do a better job at keeping us up (given that's literally his trademark.) Question is if he can get us up.

the first, once their guy flicked it on near post we were in trouble.  watch the replay, its gibbo's man totally free from a long throw.  after that they got the rub of the green/ a bit lucky with the ball dropping nice for him.  gibbo's slack marking made that goal possible.

the second, pure jam. he hits it well enough. but how the heck did it sneak though 3 of our players without contact.  they got in behind us but we had covering players and we unlucky imo. that would normally be blocked away.

No they were not lucky. We were poor so it was our own fault. You cannot give luck credit for those goals. The first was as you say poor marking and a small player like Asoro shouldn't be able to get a ball at his feet like that against Gibbo, Ayala and Shotton. The second goal Williams was completely unmarked and the third goal was an intelligent run and finish from a player we left completely unmarked. We were poor they were not lucky.

they were lucky we were poor.  :D its not normal for several mistakes from several players to all come together like that. williams free, yes he was but infront of him he had several players lined up. blocking the goal, yet he scored. he is cack and is lucky to have hit the net without hitting a leg or a body part imo.  so they made the most of the gash defending from us, how often do they do that? they are bottom and are lucky to have scored 3 against us. no matter how its broken down they were very lucky to come away from that game with a point. i could list all the others chances both teams failed to take to. but that would be just us blazing shots over. we were extremely unlucky not to win that game. i will have a bet with anyone that the mackems dont score 3 goals in a game for the rest of the season.

We [collectively] keep talking about the long term future of the football club, yet the majority of us are far more focused on the short term in terms of getting results, promotion, and exciting players (Gibson actually spending).

I think the appointment of Tony Pulis makes sense in the short term and it is a desperate attempt to nick that last promotion spot. Time will tell if it was the right decision, but it is hard to deny that Gibson did not listen to the demands cries of the fans: getting Premier League football next season.

It doesn't make sense in the short term if you're going to have to change everything again in the near future, which we almost certainly will unless someone somewhere (Gibson) has made a decision that the things Pulis believes in are going to underpin this club's philosophy for years to come.

I would keep him until the end of the season and then look for a new available manager that suits our players better. Another manager might not require such a big rebuild. I certainly wouldn’t keep Pulis.

thats the tail wagging the dog. If pulis is a defensive manager then get players in who can defend. The ones we have now may be thought of as  defensive players, but they aren't very good at it.

We lost the goal at Sunderland not because of substitutes  being told to defend but because they couldn't do the job properly.