oneBoro Forum

Boro v Leeds 3-0 (Bamford, Bamford, Bamford)

I think putting Clayton in there anchored Besic and Howson perfectly. Clayts new dynamic isn't glamorous or sexy football, but it's key to freeing up others around him to go forward without the fear of getting caught out.

It's part of what wasn't working under Monk; the likes of Christie, Fabio, Braithwaite etc bombing forward from deeper positions without adequate cover. Clayton against Leeds was the smallest weight that can balance Big Ben to chime perfectly on time.

What a beautiful analogy

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think putting Clayton in there anchored Besic and Howson perfectly. Clayts new dynamic isn't glamorous or sexy football, but it's key to freeing up others around him to go forward without the fear of getting caught out.

It's part of what wasn't working under Monk; the likes of Christie, Fabio, Braithwaite etc bombing forward from deeper positions without adequate cover. Clayton against Leeds was the smallest weight that can balance Big Ben to chime perfectly on time.

What a beautiful analogy

Weren't we already 2-0 up before Clayton even came on?  Not that I'm the biggest fan of Leadbitter but it seems odd to credit Clayton when the game was already done and dusted really before he set foot on the pitch?

What a beautiful analogy

Weren't we already 2-0 up before Clayton even came on?  Not that I'm the biggest fan of Leadbitter but it seems odd to credit Clayton when the game was already done and dusted really before he set foot on the pitch?

I am not entirely sure if your condescension is aimed at me or my fellow contributor. If it pacifies your troubled mind at all I was praising the quality of the linguist choice more so than the footballing point.

What a beautiful analogy

True; though my main point was about the added freedom it gave Howson and Besic when Clayton was on the pitch. They did have that during the first-half, aye, but balance wise it seemed to ebb and flow much more smoothly with Clayton anchoring. Leeds created so little in the second half - we proper bossed that midfield area and added creativity to the centre which we've been missing for yonks.

I do think Leadbitter can play that role too - Clayton, though, seems to add much more nuance to it and it comes more naturally to him than Grant.

I do think Leadboots still has something to offer; he's still not quite found his natural role now he's lost that yard of pace and the quickness of movement as he ages. Still has a lot to offer from the penalty spot and elsewhere on the pig though I think...

What a beautiful analogy

I am not entirely sure if your condescension is aimed at me or my fellow contributor. If it pacifies your troubled mind at all I was praising the quality of the linguist choice more so than the footballing point.

That wasn't condescension.

True; though my main point was about the added freedom it gave Howson and Besic when Clayton was on the pitch. They did have that during the first-half, aye, but balance wise it seemed to ebb and flow much more smoothly with Clayton anchoring. Leeds created so little in the second half - we proper bossed that midfield area and added creativity to the centre which we've been missing for yonks.

I do think Leadbitter can play that role too - Clayton, though, seems to add much more nuance to it and it comes more naturally to him than Grant.

I do think Leadboots still has something to offer; he's still not quite found his natural role now he's lost that yard of pace and the quickness of movement as he ages. Still has a lot to offer from the penalty spot and elsewhere on the pig though I think...

To be honest I thought we were better in the first half than the second half, hence being slightly puzzled as to the praise for Clayton (and that's coming from someone who would much rather he was in the side ahead of Leadbitter).

I can't speak to what Leadbitter does or doesn't do on pigs.  That's his personal business, well, and the pig's I suppose.

To be honest I thought we were better in the first half than the second half, hence being slightly puzzled as to the praise for Clayton (and that's coming from someone who would much rather he was in the side ahead of Leadbitter).

I can't speak to what Leadbitter does or doesn't do on pigs.  That's his personal business, well, and the pig's I suppose.

He's bloody great on a pig. Brings home the bacon every time.

I think we had more impetus in the first half; there's obvious reasons for that. I think we looked less likely to concede in the second half though - and that's been a big problem recently. We'll see against Birmingham I reckon; wether we can keep the stability of a Clayton anchored midfield whilst keeping the creativity and flair Web hand in the first half. 

Nice for this to be the topic of discussion... shows a considerable increase in positive aspects.

Isn't Cranie a suitable DM aswell?

Would he fit as the ultra defensive CM with Besic and Howson in more free roles?

Just a thought..

Argue with me! :D

Would he fit as the ultra defensive CM with Besic and Howson in more free roles?

Just a thought..

i'm sure pulis has considered playing every defender we have all at once before why not lol. i remember southgate playing 6 cb's in one game once.

Just a thought..

I'd say that'd be more like 5 at the back. Cranie isn't really a creative player; he's more a defensively solid full back.

Besic was great, he just didn't look wholely fit. Couple of mis-placed passes that he struggled to catch up with and nearly cost us. On another day, who knows it could have been a bad rating for him. But he always looked forward, he always tried to play the forward pass and if it wasn't available, 9 out of 10 times he had the composure to keep a hold of the ball and allow the players to move into positions he could actually find, rather than just push us back into our own half.

I thought he grew into it. Before we scored, he was one of our poorest performers, but as we took control he looked better and better

Just a thought..

I'd say that'd be more like 5 at the back. Cranie isn't really a creative player; he's more a defensively solid full back.

I am pretty sure, that when we signed him, he was described as a Full back, centre back and a holding midfielder. Very versatile...

Just a thought..

I am pretty sure, that when we signed him, he was described as a Full back, centre back and a holding midfielder. Very versatile...

I just checked Transfer Markt and he has played several games as a DM