oneBoro Forum

Bamford has just made me look like a right mug

I couldn't give a crap what people look like in training, I'm interested in what they look like in games. If any manager is basing decisions on training alone they shouldn't be in the job.

Maybe you couldn't give a crap, but managers probably will, surely?

If a few players are on the fringe of a first team place (like in Premier League squads), then 'maybe' if PB isn't so good in training, other players will get the nod in front.

It's not like Bamford ever really did the business when he got on the pitch for any of his Premier League loan teams. As a result of which, all else the manager has got to go on is what he does in training.

If Messi strolled around in training on Friday doing nothing would you drop him on Saturday? Ct is dead right here, the overriding factor is always their contribution on matchdays.

I couldn't give a crap what people look like in training, I'm interested in what they look like in games. If any manager is basing decisions on training alone they shouldn't be in the job.

If a few players are on the fringe of a first team place (like in Premier League squads), then 'maybe' if PB isn't so good in training, other players will get the nod in front.

It's not like Bamford ever really did the business when he got on the pitch for any of his Premier League loan teams. As a result of which, all else the manager has got to go on is what he does in training.

If Messi strolled around in training on Friday doing nothing would you drop him on Saturday? Ct is dead right here, the overriding factor is always their contribution on matchdays.

You seem to be missing my point (By using Messi as an example). Clearly Messi can do what the heck he wants to in training. He'll still get picked.

We're talking about a fringe player here (Bamford). If he's not good in training, for whatever reason, he's not going to get picked. If he doesn't do it in short substitute appearances, he doesn't cement his place.

As such, for THOSE sort/level of players, training is much more important than it is for someone like Messi.

Thats a good point about the training, especially when you consider he started afresh every few months at a new team. He was a first team fixture at MK, and then at us. Maybe did his comfort level rise too much at that point that he didnt want to put the effort in during training at the various loan clubs, and then never get a real chance on matchday?

Then the managers are getting it wrong although I suspect that most of them don't place that much importance on training and it's just used as a reason/excuse for a decision from time to time.  Either the best players or the players who the manager prefers get picked and I doubt it has anything at all to do with performance in training.   Fans talk about it as it's a ready made reason why such and such doesn't get in the side.  Bamford's not the first player we've heard this about and I think it's bollo(ks.

You're talking about two different things here though because you're assuming that Bamford didn't get picked based on a lack of effort in training.  I think it's more likely that he didn't get picked because the managers felt they had better, or perhaps importantly, more suitable players.  Palace was a bad move for him because they had a number of strikers already, Burnley because he clearly doesn't suit how they play and Norwich because they were ***e but also had their own strikers ahead of him anyway. 

Even looking at his situation here, Bamford wouldn't have started up front for us yesterday had Gestede been fit and we all know it.  He didn't even start up front last week because Assombalonga did.  So do we think he suddenly tried in training this week or do we think there are other reasons he got picked, like the two goals he scored?  Do we think if his training is the same as it has no doubt been all season long that he won't be getting picked for the next game after his hattrick?  Do me a favour.  

We spent a lot of money on Assombalonga, he was Monk's player so therefore Monk played him pretty much all of the time.  Monk left and Pulis took over and he has gone with Assombalonga for the same reason Monk did, realised he didn't work in the way that he wanted us to play and then picked the big geezer.  The big geezer is injured so then he goes back to Assombalonga but Bamford scores twice, Assombalonga is struggling, so now it's Bamford's turn.

Then the managers are getting it wrong although I suspect that most of them don't place that much importance on training and it's just used as a reason/excuse for a decision from time to time.  Either the best players or the players who the manager prefers get picked and I doubt it has anything at all to do with performance in training.   Fans talk about it as it's a ready made reason why such and such doesn't get in the side.  Bamford's not the first player we've heard this about and I think it's bollo(ks.

You're talking about two different things here though because you're assuming that Bamford didn't get picked based on a lack of effort in training.  I think it's more likely that he didn't get picked because the managers felt they had better, or perhaps importantly, more suitable players.  Palace was a bad move for him because they had a number of strikers already, Burnley because he clearly doesn't suit how they play and Norwich because they were *** but also had their own strikers ahead of him anyway. 

Even looking at his situation here, Bamford wouldn't have started up front for us yesterday had Gestede been fit and we all know it.  He didn't even start up front last week because Assombalonga did.  So do we think he suddenly tried in training this week or do we think there are other reasons he got picked, like the two goals he scored?  Do we think if his training is the same as it has no doubt been all season long that he won't be getting picked for the next game after his hattrick?  Do me a favour.  

We spent a lot of money on Assombalonga, he was Monk's player so therefore Monk played him pretty much all of the time.  Monk left and Pulis took over and he has gone with Assombalonga for the same reason Monk did, realised he didn't work in the way that he wanted us to play and then picked the big geezer.  The big geezer is injured so then he goes back to Assombalonga but Bamford scores twice, Assombalonga is struggling, so now it's Bamford's turn.

I'm actually not a massive advocate of the 'Bamford being crap in training' theory. Someone else brought it up, because they'd seen a player interview where Bamford was mentioned as 'worst in training' (which in the interview I saw was to do with him trying things in training that didn't always work out).

OBVIOUSLY PB is starting up front now, because he's scored some goals having got a chance in the team. I never suggested for a moment that it had anything to do with him suddenly training better.

However, I still maintain that if there are fringe players who aren't getting in to the first team, or who a feeding off scraps for game time, then how they preform in training 'could' impact where they end up in the pecking order for being picked.

I have heard managers say they've been impressed by certain players in training. That would suggest to me that the above paragraph is possible.

another really positive thing from paddy showing he can play as a cf alone and do the business. Pulis will recognize it and is probably as buzzing as we are. he'll be the first name on the team sheet on Tuesday night (after adama of course)

the team is starting to pick itself. paddy adama shotton gibbo ayala friend downing howson besic randolph then likely clayton because leadbitter is out.

i'd be extremely surprised if that team never started tuesday. somehow pulis has made us more defensive/ stronger in the middle and more effective going forward at the same time. pulis is starting to remind me of mclaren with injuries actually helping us somehow.

another really positive thing from paddy showing he can play as a cf alone and do the business. Pulis will recognize it  and is probably as buzzing as we are. he'll be the first name on the team sheet on Tuesday night (after adama of course)

the team is starting to pick itself. paddy adama shotton gibbo ayala friend downing howson besic randolph then likely  clayton because leadbitter is out.

i'd be extremely surprised if that team never started tuesday.  somehow pulis has made us more defensive/ stronger in the middle and more effective going forward at the same time.  pulis is starting to remind me of mclaren with injuries actually helping us somehow.

Think Pulis start his lineup from the back and there are some players that that are cemented in the first eleven, Randolph, Gibson, Ayala and Friend ;)

But I know what you mean, just being silly :)