oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 1-0 (Bamford)

If the motivation of trying to gain promotion isn't enough for them then nothing else will be, certainly not a bloke they only knew for a few months anyway. He wasn't a tyrant, it was just a managerial appointment that didn't work out. Most of the players were given chances under him so I've got no idea what they'd be trying to show him about anyway?

We're trying to win promotion to the Premier League and we're playing a game that is eminently winnable. That's where their focus should be. If it isn't then I'd suggest that they've got their priorities wrong.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If the motivation of trying to gain promotion isn't enough for them then nothing else will be, certainly not a bloke they only knew for a few months anyway. He wasn't a tyrant, it was just a managerial appointment that didn't work out. Most of the players were given chances under him so I've got no idea what they'd be trying to show him about anyway?

We're trying to win promotion to the Premier League and we're playing a game that is eminently winnable. That's where their focus should be. If it isn't then I'd suggest that they've got their priorities wrong.

Absolutely this.

If the motivation of trying to gain promotion isn't enough for them then nothing else will be, certainly not a bloke they only knew for a few months anyway.  He wasn't a tyrant, it was just a managerial appointment that didn't work out.  Most of the players were given chances under him so I've got no idea what they'd be trying to show him about anyway?  

We're trying to win promotion to the Premier League and we're playing a game that is eminently winnable.  That's where their focus should be.  If it isn't then I'd suggest that they've got their priorities wrong.

Came to/for this

All this talk over 'revenge' and 'proving Monk wrong'...

You do that by being professional, doing your job and getting the 3 points. Nothing more, nothing less. Any good, professional player knows not to let their heart run away with their head.

You're right the best message to Monk is winning 3 points but we are talking about an individual players motivation. No one is suggesting the players should let their hearts runaway with their heads its about using a certain emotion in a positive way to play to your best.

The fact that people have different opinions on the subject shows how we all have different things that make us tick.

Have a read of some sports psychology and you'll find that playing with emotion and aggression doesn't have to be a negative thing, some players thrive playing like that while others don't. Thinking that professional players can't use emotion to motivate themselves is extremely naïve.

You're beautiful eighth about the Sport Psychology; which is why players like Rooney thrive when there's that aggression. The likes of Traore though? I'd much rather he keep his cool, otherwise his decision making goes out the window.

More often than not that mindset is a negative for players at this level; less of a problem for a defender or combative Mid who already utilise that element of the game, but I'd much rather Pulis try and channel that energy as oppose to simply unleash it as some on here have insinuated.

Yeah I've said the same earlier in the thread about Traore, from the outside looking in it appears that he has the potential to get himself into a state where being highly motivated is detrimental to his performance levels. You're right its up to Pulis to recognise this in certain players and manage it correctly.

I've done quite a lot of reading on this subject and certain players can perform better when they're playing with an edge, I don't think anyone is expecting Pulis to give a speech like Al Pacino in Every given Sunday, or expecting the players to come out at the start of the game like Gazza did in the FA Cup final when he was running round fouling anyone.

The point I'm trying to make is that we are bound to have a couple of players who didn't like Monk and felt hard done by him, its only natural. For those players its about using that emotion to focus the mind and use it in a positive way. A lot of professionals are able to play better when there's an edge to the game is why they've got to the level they're at.

Yes the game is eminently winnable and we are the favourites without a shadow of a doubt. Saying that how often do favourites lose when they're expected to win?

If a player wants to use Monk, Beattie or the colour of Birmingham's kit to motivate himself there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's channelled correctly.

Saying that how often do favourites lose when they're expected to win?

I would imagine, given the term favourites, not very often.

So it never happens then?

Saying that how often do favourites lose when they're expected to win?

I would imagine, given the term favourites, not very often.

So it never happens then?

Not very often is not the same as never. The favourite more often wins than loses if that makes any sense :angel:

Yes the game is eminently winnable and we are the favourites without a shadow of a doubt. Saying that how often do favourites lose when they're expected to win?

If a player wants to use Monk, Beattie or the colour of Birmingham's kit to motivate himself there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's channelled correctly.

I'm just not sure what motivation they would have?  Monk wasn't a terrible person at least as far as I know.  I don't remember hearing anything about the players disliking him?  Almost all of them were given opportunities to play while he was here, it's not like he picked the same XI every game.  So what beef are they going to have with him?

I'd be amazed if the prospect of another win isn't foremost in all of their thoughts to be honest.

I'm just not sure what motivation they would have?  Monk wasn't a terrible person at least as far as I know.  I don't remember hearing anything about the players disliking him?  Almost all of them were given opportunities to play while he was here, it's not like he picked the same XI every game.  So what beef are they going to have with him?

I'd be amazed if the prospect of another win isn't foremost in all of their thoughts to be honest.

And that was exactly Monks' FLAW. He had 3-4 changes for each game and never found any consistency and never had the players' minds at ease. 

Pulis took charge, found the players he liked, got rid of the not suitable players (Braitwaithe etc) and gave the team an identity!

Under Monk it was chaos and no one knew if they were in or out and the confidence players like Traore and Bamford can't perform under those circumstances, I guess...

Monk tried to be nice to them all like he was affraid of conflicts, while Pulis is honest and professional, knowing what he wants, telling it to each individual from the beginning. No nonsence politics.

If U miss my points, it's that damn language barriere :D

Steve McClaren said it in his interview a few days ago that you'll always have players that are unhappy with you because they're not being picked. It might not be personal with Monk infact I'm sure it won't be personal, its just about professional pride and a bit of ego thrown in to show him he was wrong.

This isn't about Garry Monk he might be a really nice guy for all I know, I don't really care. Its about using something to give yourself that little bit extra in the game. If I was a player tonight I'd have a little extra spring in my step especially if it was against a manager that I felt didn't give me a fair crack of the whip.

There's bound to be one or two players in our squad who felt like they didn't get a chance under Monk, these are professionals who have so much belief in their own ability that they'll expect to be picked every week. You'll find very few substitutes who agree with the managers team selection.

Steve McClaren said it in his interview a few days ago that you'll always have players that are unhappy with you because they're not being picked. It might not be personal with Monk infact I'm sure it won't be personal, its just about professional pride and a bit of ego thrown in to show him he was wrong.

This isn't about Garry Monk he might be a really nice guy for all I know, I don't really care. Its about using something to give yourself that little bit extra in the game. If I was a player tonight I'd have a little extra spring in my step especially if it was against a manager that I felt didn't give me a fair crack of the whip.

There's bound to be one or two players in our squad who felt like they didn't get a chance under Monk, these are professionals who have so much belief in their own ability that they'll expect to be picked every week. You'll find very few substitutes who agree with the managers team selection.

Like that Sunderland player who ran straight up to Pulis, when he scored the last minute equaliser.

win every game we can still go up in top two. pretty much zero chance but i'm holding onto that chance :D

If cardiff and fulham have a mini wobble boom. we in there like swim wear.

beat brum barnsley get something at griffin park. wolves at home on a friday night match at home live on sky. that could have a real big game feel and be a real confidence booster. a marker to the others, it would pile on the pressure to villa daffs and fulham, leaving us winning 6 from 7 on 68 points with 18 to play for.

all a little bit far fetched like but, paddy and admama give me the strength to believe. it could be the greatest end to a season in our history if we somehow managed to get up. legends could me made and pulis could attain cult hero status.

win every game we can still go up in top two. pretty much zero chance but i'm holding onto that chance :D

If cardiff and fulham have a mini wobble boom. we in there like swim wear.

beat brum barnsley get something at griffin park. wolves at home on a friday night match at home live on sky. that could have a real big game feel and be a real confidence booster. a marker to the others, it would pile on the pressure to villa daffs and fulham, leaving us winning 6 from 7 on 68 points with 18 to play for.

all a little bit far fetched like but, paddy and admama give me the strength to believe. it could be the greatest end to a season in our history if we somehow managed to get up. legends could me made and pulis could attain cult hero status.

Allways optimistic about The Boro, just like me ::D

Bed wetters are plenty here though :P

*Grabs popcorn*