oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 1-0 (Bamford)

Well that was a nail biting night, a good result but I did say Brum would not make it easy for us. I do not like this funneling back by our midfield to defend in depth, it just leaves us with nowhere to play the ball to, the ball is then hoofed aimlessly forward and comes straight back at us. Thank goodness for Ayala and Gibson they were very solid tonight and limited Brum to only half chances and long range efforts. Anyway a well deserved pint now out of the city and away from those fans in blue, who must believe they deserved a point from that

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Bristol's heads have gone. Derby doing the usual bottle job, time for us to step up and secure our play-off spot.

Thought Bristol City won 4-0 last Saturday, so heads gone bit of an exaggeration in my opinion, Derby bottling it though.

Heads gone for that specific game isn't an exaggeration when their captain gets himself sent off in the last few minutes for something completely pointless. They've also been struggling before the Sheff Wed game.

Including the victory against Sheff wed they've only won twice in all competitions this year so struggling might be an understatement!

Just on my way back from the game.

3 points. That's the most important thing.

We played quite well first half; discipline was there, the dynamic in midfield - Brum caused us one or two problems but without the firepower to make it count. The goal came with a touch or two of good fortune, but some good anticipation and foresight from Traore, Shotton and Paddy meant we went into HT 1-0 up.

Second half - we sat back. Far too deep in midfeld for my liking, which made it far more nervy than it needed to be.

Gallagher wasted 2/3 good opportunities with his threepenny bit noggin. Jutkiewicz didn't cause many problems at all. But the concern was that, any team with a half-way decent striker would've got a point from that game against us... maybe more.

Positives - Cranie looked very assured when he came on; slowed down play at pivotal times and made some positive runs. Besic is key to there being any dynamic in that 3 man Midfield and provides a genuine link between banks of players.

Negatives - we won't be able to defend 1-0 leads as we did today against better sides. Tactically, we put pressure on ourselves in the second half.

Still, 3 points away at St. Andrews is something we should all have bitten off the hand that offered at any stage of the season. Only the 2nd win in 19 years travelling to Birmingham, so not to be scoffed at.

Does anyone know anything about Traore's injury?  It was mentioned briefly before he was subbed, but no indication of what it was.

Don't know if it was an injury, he did go on a bursty run literally just before being removed, it was just an observation that he didn't look entirely comfortable as he did come off.

Lads on BBC Tees seemed concerned to begin with that it was something to do with his ankle. Just before he got subbed off, they suggested it looked more like cramp.

Yeah, I don't think it was anything serious if it was an injury because as I said he went on a bursting run after supposedly looking hurt (the birmingham commentators mentioned it themselves as well) then went off grimacing.

Cramp seems likely. Fingers crossed.

Thoughts on Traore's delivery from corners?

I've been pretty impressed, seems as though he can consistently deliver a ball with a bit of shape on it, he can whip them in to that near post area and they've caused a lot of trouble. Makes a change from Downing and Leadbitter who seem to vary between not beating the first man and managing to float it over everyones heads.

I've been pretty impressed, seems as though he can consistently deliver a ball with a bit of shape on it, he can whip them in to that near post area and they've caused a lot of trouble. Makes a change from Downing and Leadbitter who seem to vary between not beating the first man and managing to float it over everyones heads.

Agreed. Looks like the best inswinging corners at the club. Power and not too high.

He had I think 4 (Edit: not 5) right in front of us in the first half. 2 were good, 2 were pretty poor - including the one which led to the goal.

The poor ones hadn't enough height or power to even reach the front post. The one which led to the goal was awful initially, but he made up for it by getting himself into a fantastic crossing position for the return.

Second half they seemed to be much better; far more consistent. Think it's a part of his game that definitely needs development, but also something which could be a good asset once developed further.

Also, unless Sheffield United go on a huge goal spurt in the run-in, the play-offs is entirely in our hands right now. It's our position to lose. I still think we will drop out right now given the teams we still have left to face but for us to remain this close to these positions is hopefully a sign of how the league will end.

This Barnsley game is huge because we then have to play Brentford & Wolves after that and they're going to be very difficult games.

Indeed if SU win their game in hand they have to score a minimum of 10 goals, latest results have helped us a lot

Some Badger predictions coming true...

Same team as Friday with Clayts in for Leadboots.

1-0 Boro. Smart finish by Bamford and we hold on to the win

Which could be good news for the season - as I called play-offs/promotion back in Feb - UTB!

Going to call it now, Bamford to finally get his chance up top and he'll fire us into the play-offs and on into the Premier League

Some Badger predictions coming true...

Same team as Friday with Clayts in for Leadboots.

1-0 Boro. Smart finish by Bamford and we hold on to the win

Which could be good news for the season - as I called play-offs/promotion back in Feb - UTB!

Going to call it now, Bamford to finally get his chance up top and he'll fire us into the play-offs and on into the Premier League

Very impressive!

Is that you, Nostrabadgermus?  :funny: :D

I was btw surprised to see Adama Traore getting subbed near the end of the 2nd half, cause I didn't know he was on the pitch after the break :D

I've noticed that a few times with Traore in second halves. I think he gets knackered from the explosive runs he does (understandably).