oneBoro Forum

England and any other International Friendly weekend

I follow England but i have no real passion for them. It feels almost superficial and has done since about probably 2002.

I think selection is an interesting topic at present. I've heard the theory about picking on reputation/form a lot and particularly the clamour to pick on form but, by and large, i'm not a believer of that at international level. International football has many differences to club football the most prevalent being the lack of training/game time the players spend together. Chopping and changing every 3 months does not help garner any level of consistency.

For me firstly you decide who your influential players are and you build a team around them. Principally we have 1 player that can be considered close to world class. In this instance you work out how to get the best out of him and in my opinion that means replicating what they do at Spurs with players he's familiar with... Dele Alli, Kyle Walker, Eric Dier, Danny Rose. All of which are quality players in their own right. I think even more importantly you replicate the formation in which those players thrive. Kane with 2 or s supporting attacking midfielders and full backs attacking from deep.

Given this my preferred team/formation is as follows:

Pickford

Walker (2 of Cahill, Keane, Maguire, Stones, Jones) Rose

Dier Henderson

Sterling Wilshere Alli

Kane

I'm not 100% sold on the centre halves. None have grabbed me but Cahill's experience gives him an edge)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

might watch it, but only for the Southgate/Middlesbrough connection.

Otherwise its just a bunch of blokes i know absolutely nothing about - apart from seeing them overhyped on the sports pages and wasting trees and printing ink -playing in a ***e stadium in a ***e city in front of a 'crowd' of moaning cockernees

I think England has lost it's identity and it seems like we play try to replicate the formation/style that won the premier league the previous season or they try to play possession football which we don't have the players for that.

Let's go back to playing 4-4-2 where fullbacks can defend, no-nonsense centre backs, the wingers have pace, and a target man up top with someone playing off the shoulder of defenders.

My challenge tonight is to watch the full 90 minutes without falling asleep.

I see that a bunch of English fans are once again shaming the English badge in the streets. Apparently 25 arrested so far after fighting with the police and throwing bottles etc.

Otherwise its just a bunch of blokes i know absolutely nothing about - apart from seeing them overhyped on the sports pages and wasting trees and printing ink -playing in a *** stadium in a *** city in front of a 'crowd' of moaning cockernees

I really like the stadium it’s one of my favourites and how you can call Amsterdam a *** city is beyond me.

Otherwise its just a bunch of blokes i know absolutely nothing about - apart from seeing them overhyped on the sports pages and wasting trees and printing ink -playing in a *** stadium in a *** city in front of a 'crowd' of moaning cockernees

I really like the stadium it’s one of my favourites and how you can call Amsterdam a *** city is beyond me.

I think he means Wembley and London.

I think he means Wembley and London.

They are both nice too, but I fail to see the relevance:)