• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I see that a bunch of English fans are once again shaming the English badge in the streets. Apparently 25 arrested so far after fighting with the police and throwing bottles etc.

Let's not call them fans, no fan would embarrass their country the way they do. Let's call them what they really are, colossal spunktrumpets.

Haven't watched the game... but is Walker playing right centre-back when there were 4 centre-back options on the bench?

Walker was playing on the right side of a back 3, he had a good game there.

Fair enough. Just seems a bit strange that you shove a player into a position he hasn't made his way into the squad for when you've got more than enough options elsewhere to fit that position. Similar story to Gomez but at least he's actually played there before.

Think the idea behind playing walker there is that he plays with stones every week so should help England keep posssession with his movement - which worked to be fair (if a bit dicey at times). I don’t imagine it would be considered for every game.

England still need a bit more creativity in midfield - Henderson’s cross field lobbed passes were appalling. Steven Gerard he is not. Lindgard took his goal well but Oxlade-Chamberlain did nothing really. Wiltshire is probably the best bad option, but he’s a perma-crock. I’d still consider loftus-cheek as he’s been as good as anyone else we’ve tried.

Think the idea behind playing walker there is that he plays with stones every week so should help England keep posssession with his movement - which worked to be fair (if a bit dicey at times). I don’t imagine it would be considered for every game.

England still need a bit more creativity in midfield - Henderson’s cross field lobbed passes were appalling. Steven Gerard he is not. Lindgard took his goal well but Oxlade-Chamberlain did nothing really. Wiltshire is probably the best bad option, but he’s a perma-crock. I’d still consider loftus-cheek as he’s been as good as anyone else we’ve tried.

It was good for Southgate to have a chance to experiment against a half decent team. I think he’s got them on the right track. It is getting more and more difficult for an England manager to pick Premier League players that are playing week in week out, so he’s got to put together the best side that he can. It’s a problem that most other national teams don’t have, but the premier league is an attractive proposition for overseas players, I can only see it getting worse in the future.

It was good for Southgate to have a chance to experiment against a half decent team. I think he’s got them on the right track. It is getting more and more difficult for an England manager to pick Premier League players that are playing week in week out, so he’s got to put together the best side that he can. It’s a problem that most other national teams don’t have, but the premier league is an attractive proposition for overseas players, I can only see it getting worse in the future.

Which always begs the question for me... why don't some of these English players move to play abroad. For example would Bamford have been better off being the main man for a lower end Ligue 1 side than warming Burnley's bench? Would Baker have been better off staying in Holland and scoring goals than being a squad player at best with us?

You see it all the time where youth players sit on the bench wasted at PL clubs or are loaned out to the Championship which is a tough league to make your mark on.. there must be a load of European teams out there with small budgets who would play guys at our U21 standard. Would benefit the national team too having players experience different playing styles and cultures.

might watch it, but only for the Southgate/Middlesbrough connection.

Otherwise its just a bunch of blokes i know absolutely nothing about - apart from seeing them overhyped on the sports pages and wasting trees and printing ink -playing in a *** stadium in a *** city in front of a 'crowd' of moaning cockernees

I really like the stadium it’s one of my favourites and how you can call Amsterdam a *** city is beyond me.

I think he means Wembley and London.

They are both nice too, but I fail to see the relevance:)

its 'cos the england national team is of so little interest that i haven't a clue about its fixture list... apart from it ruining, for no reason, a weekend when 'Boro could have been bettering their chances of cementing a play off place.

first time i went to wembley the stadium had a hole in its roof letting the rain in, and london was full of braying  yuppies blocking the bars

might watch it, but only for the Southgate/Middlesbrough connection.

Otherwise its just a bunch of blokes i know absolutely nothing about - apart from seeing them overhyped on the sports pages and wasting trees and printing ink -playing in a *** stadium in a *** city in front of a 'crowd' of moaning cockernees

I really like the stadium it’s one of my favourites and how you can call Amsterdam a *** city is beyond me.

I think he means Wembley and London.

They are both nice too, but I fail to see the relevance:)

its 'cos the england national team is of so little interest that i haven't a clue about its fixture list... apart from it ruining, for no reason, a weekend when 'Boro could have been bettering their chances of cementing a play off place.

first time i went to wembley the stadium had a hole in its roof letting the rain in, and london was full of braying  yuppies blocking the bars

I remember one time when it rained on me, made me hate the national team too

Which always begs the question for me... why don't some of these English players move to play abroad. For example would Bamford have been better off being the main man for a lower end Ligue 1 side than warming Burnley's bench? Would Baker have been better off staying in Holland and scoring goals than being a squad player at best with us?

You see it all the time where youth players sit on the bench wasted at PL clubs or are loaned out to the Championship which is a tough league to make your mark on.. there must be a load of European teams out there with small budgets who would play guys at our U21 standard. Would benefit the national team too having players experience different playing styles and cultures.

Money for the most part I expect.  Wages here for relatively inexperienced players are probably substantially higher than their global counterparts.  Clubs may loan a player out to a European side - Chelsea do it a lot - but I would imagine they are subsidising part of their wages when they do.  At some point they'll want a club to pick up the whole tab.  Transfer fees and wages are probably prohibitive to a lot of clubs in Europe for permanent transfers, certainly when you're talking about young inexperienced players.

On top of that it's probably easier for foreign players to come here than it is for our players to go elsewhere as most countries teach English as a second language.  In this country you could learn one of a number of languages at school, which might be useless depending on where you go.  

We are also an island nation, something that gets lost sometimes, but we are and we have a culture that is based on this to a certain extent.

However, you are getting some youngsters moving to different clubs now.  There are a few in Germany for example and maybe this trend will continue of players moving when they are very young just as we have brought players here at young ages.