oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Wolves 1-2 (Bamford)

Wolves for certain isn't a very affluent city. Not sure if you've ever been, but it's predominantly a university town.

The Megabus doesn't go from Wolverhampton. You'd have to get to Birmingham, which is just shy of an £8 return. The Megabus setsbyou back £44 return - so that's £52 even before you've booked a hotel - and on Good Friday. Travelodge is currently £40, plus the price of a ticket at, say, £20... That's £112 without even considering food.

Aye, a car share is the best option - but it's a Friday. Most people don't finish work until 5 and can't afford to take the day off.

Public Transport to the NE is bloody extortionate. I live in Birmingham - I've got an audition up in Northumberland end of April - Trains alone would've set me back £120. Instead I've got two epic long National Express journeys and a night in the EasyHotel which is only costing £28, but essentially wipes out three days where I can't do shifts. Middlesbrough is another level still...

It's reatbof you've got the freedom and affluence to be able to afford the luxury of going tonaway games. But don't label those who can't afford it or have more important things such as family to support "pathetic."

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doubt it Billy. You should be fine.

I don't think there'd be any doubt Boro would sell out their allocation were the roles reversed. I see Wolves as a similar sized club to Boro which is why i'm a little surprised.

Wolves for certain isn't a very affluent city. Not sure if you've ever been, but it's predominantly a university town.

The Megabus doesn't go from Wolverhampton. You'd have to get to Birmingham, which is just shy of an £8 return. The Megabus setsbyou back £44 return - so that's £52 even before you've booked a hotel - and on Good Friday. Travelodge is currently £40, plus the price of a ticket at, say, £20... That's £112 without even considering food.

Aye, a car share is the best option - but it's a Friday. Most people don't finish work until 5 and can't afford to take the day off.

Public Transport to the NE is bloody extortionate. I live in Birmingham - I've got an audition up in Northumberland end of April - Trains alone would've set me back £120. Instead I've got two epic long National Express journeys and a night in the EasyHotel which is only costing £28, but essentially wipes out three days where I can't do shifts. Middlesbrough is another level still...

It's reatbof you've got the freedom and affluence to be able to afford the luxury of going tonaway games. But don't label those who can't afford it or have more important things such as family to support "pathetic."

It seems that you and Wilson have took the pathetic word very personally. If you read my last post I said I'm not having a go at anyone who can't afford it.

I think their away following is pathetic but that is aimed at the club as a whole not one specific fan who is working 80 hour weeks to put food on the table.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that Wolves don't have enough 'affluent' fans to scrape together a couple of thousand in total, there's a thread on the Wolves forum where they talk about getting 50k+ gates in the 70s so they do have a decent fan base.

How many fans would us and Sunderland have down there if the roles were reversed? Are either of us affluent towns?

This is one of their best teams in living memory and you'd think some of the fans would want to be there to see the promotion push. I don't expect a core of 2000 fans to go to every single game home and away but as a collective you'd expect a club of that size to be filling away allocations at this stage of the season.

IMG_9479.jpg

Their away support is only marginally smaller than ours. We didn't sell out our recent away ticket allocation at Birmingham - there was several empty seats. Same situation; midweek game. So no, when the boot Ian on the other foot, our fans haven't performed any differently.

We also have pretty big southern fan-bases, we've got fans all over the country, wherever they can find work. How many Wolves fans set up their stall in the north? Can't say I've seen any non-glory supporters around these parts since I moved back up here, certainly not in my line of work. I mean football supporters in general are pretty scarce in games but those that have been captured up here are from the North East and follow North East teams.

I do think the word pathetic is stupid in this situation, I don't see how you can aim it at their club as a whole because how many fans travel is down to each individual fan, its not down to their club. Like I said, it's the exact same way Leeds fans speak about everyone else. Do we advocate for that now or is it only when another team can't muster the same away following as us?

IMG_9479.jpg

Their away support is only marginally smaller than ours. We didn't sell out our recent away ticket allocation at Birmingham - there was several empty seats. Same situation; midweek game. So no, when the boot Ian on the other foot, our fans haven't performed any differently.

Are we chasing the title? You can't be arguing that we are having a season as good as they are.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd expect a team to have bigger followings when chasing automatic promotion.

We also have pretty big southern fan-bases, we've got fans all over the country, wherever they can find work. How many Wolves fans set up their stall in the north? Can't say I've seen any non-glory supporters around these parts since I moved back up here, certainly not in my line of work. I mean football supporters in general are pretty scarce in games but those that have been captured up here are from the North East and follow North East teams.

I do think the word pathetic is stupid in this situation, I don't see how you can aim it at their club as a whole because how many fans travel is down to each individual fan, its not down to their club. Like I said, it's the exact same way Leeds fans speak about everyone else. Do we advocate for that now or is it only when another team can't muster the same away following as us?

You don't know how many fans that us and Wolves have outside our respective towns so it's a non argument really. If Wolves is not an affluent town like Snowbound is arguing I'd expect fans to live in different areas of the country for work just we have.

i dont think you've taken the relative position of each club in to account Snowblind. One's on the cusp of returning to the Premier League the other is greatlu failing to live up to expectation.

IMG_9479.jpg

Are we chasing the title? You can't be arguing that we are having a season as good as they are.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd expect a team to have bigger followings when chasing automatic promotion.

They do. On weekend games. The myriad of reasons I've outlined already are just as suited to why we didn't sell out at St Andrews as to why Wolves haven't sold out at the Riverside.

i dont think you've taken the relative position of each club in to account Snowblind. One's on the cusp of returning to the Premier League the other is greatlu failing to live up to expectation.

Not sure what relevance that has to it being on a work day? And it's not like they can claim the title at the Riverside.

IMG_9479.jpg

They do. On weekend games. The myriad of reasons I've outlined already are just as suited to why we didn't sell out at St Andrews as to why Wolves haven't sold out at the Riverside.

Friday is a public holiday so it's nothing like a midweek game the majority of people will be off work/school so its another reason why it's a poor following. It's a bad comparison comparing our game with Birmingham.

Perhaps; though I don't get Good Friday off in either of my jobs. And even if they do, the sheer extortionate cost of travel to the NE makes it overwhelmingly unaffordable.

And Good Friday being a holiday also means many are probably spending t with their family as oppose to taking a day or two up on Teesside.

Perhaps I'm one of the few who believes there's more important things than football! :D

IMG_9479.jpg

Friday is a public holiday so it's nothing like a midweek game the majority of people will be off work/school so its another reason why it's a poor following. It's a bad comparison comparing our game with Birmingham.

Many people still work on Good Friday, just on bank holiday wages. It's not a public holiday the way Christmas Day is a public holiday in this country.

More people are off work than normal on good Friday that's a fact, that's one of the reasons why I expected a better following on Friday.

If you have children it's easy to set off at midday and have a leisurely drive here, ok it'll be late when you get home but you've got Saturday off anyway.

That's why I wouldn't compare it with us going to Birmingham on a Tuesday night, you'd need a couple of half days at work and there's no way you could take kids.

I wouldn't argue with you that there's more to life than football especially when you've got a family. It's just that traditionally Easter weekend would be a time where teams would take big followings away from home. That's why I was surprised to them struggling to sell out.