oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Wolves 1-2 (Bamford)

Real shame we couldn't get the second at the end there. We really should have with the men advantage and the number of oh-so-nearlies we had... but hey, wolves with 11 men on the pitch were a better team than us. Far more clinical going forwards and really solid in defence. Just a shame they're such bad winners. Celebrating both goals in front of our fans and nuno fist pumping in front of pulis/our fans. Major lack of class! Hope they have as miserable a season in the prem as we did.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn’t see the match which sounds like the right decision. Reading through here it sounds like another classic negative Pulis display with full emphasis on trying to contain the other team. We still have a major problem against the top half sides and that doesn’t bode well for the run in. Thankfully the teams around us are failing too.

Didn’t see the match which sounds like the right decision. Reading through here it sounds like another classic negative Pulis display with full emphasis on trying to contain the other team. We still have a major problem against the top half sides and that doesn’t bode well for the run in. Thankfully the teams around us are failing too.

The second half was great fun to watch, Wolves totally imploded.

Unfortunately, we're just a bit *** and couldn't take advantage. Watch Paddy's goal though, the pass from Adama and finish from Bambam was magical.

Britt being targeted here is about as embarrassing as anything I've read. Boro fans always have a target and here's the latest. We were awful for 95 minutes so let's blame the one that was on for 15, nice logic. Not the shambolic midfield, awful fullbacks or the 33 going on 53 Stewart Downing.

Who's not blaming the rest of the team and ONLY Britt? What is this love affair you have with the fella anyway? He's done literally nothing since Pulis took charge that is worthy of any defence.

Some might have a love affair with him, but you definitely have a thing against him.

Sorry Jimmy but that's just outright not true, nothing I've said about him as a whole has been unjustified. Did I ever say a bad word against him before Pulis came in? Always supported him as I would any player who plays for the team. Whenever he's on the pitch, I want him scoring goals and taking the headlines.

However, I'm saying what I see about him. Since Pulis came in, he has been *** poor. He wasn't anywhere near as bad as this before Pulis and I absolutely cannot accept that's just because of the change of style, in that department he's one of only a few players who has gotten worse since the change in manager. The way his head has dropped has kind of reminded me of Yakubu's last couple of games. Great talent but absolutely not putting everything on the line. He had a really, really good chance to take the spotlight back when Gestede got injured and Bamford has knicked in ahead of him. Before the new year, there finally looked like a player who was gonna get 20+ goals a season in the red of Boro. I'm surely not the only one who has not seen that player since the turn of the year.

Every time he has come on, I've been willing him to be the same player again. Comes on today, I'm not expectant but hopeful. FFS Britt, we know you can do it, just put in a shift in these final few. And I think what we got was much less than satisfactory for a £15m man.

No, his performances in the final minutes of a game aren't what we should be judging his career on but let's not forget that the reason he's sat on the bench despite a long term injury to a striker in our squad is down to him. When Pulis came in, it was his spot to lose. When Gestede got injured, it was his spot to lose. And he did it both times, 100% justifiably.

The second half was great fun to watch, Wolves totally imploded.

Unfortunately, we're just a bit *** and couldn't take advantage. Watch Paddy's goal though, the pass from Adama and finish from Bambam was magical.

Having calmed down a bit I think this is a good review of the game.

Positives: Everything Paddy touches seems to hit the back of the net, Traore dangerous again, still in the top 6 after poor showings from teams around us (especially Derby), we've played every team above us (bar an imploding derby). The form table reads 4-1-1, which is automatic promotion form.

Negatives: We could only put enough pressure on a 9 man team to score one goal, albeit a team that will be in the top half of the premier league next year. It feels like we're carrying passengers in the team...

Frailty. Incapable of beating teams above us and although the football was not that bad it was negative. It’s a poor state of affairs when you can’t dominate nine men. I don’t belive we will go up and neither should we. We are a championship team where we at least can win a few games.

Frailty. Incapable of beating teams above us and although the football was not that bad it was negative. It’s a poor state of affairs when you can’t dominate nine men. I don’t belive we will go up and neither should we. We are a championship team where we at least can win a few games.

I would say we did dominate Wolves. Just couldn’t put the ball in the net enough

I would say we did dominate Wolves. Just couldn’t put the ball in the net enough

Dunno if this is sarcastic? We only ‘dominated’ when they were down to 9 men, and even then we couldn’t score. Wolves many classes above.

Dunno if this is sarcastic? We only ‘dominated’ when they were down to 9 men, and even then we couldn’t score. Wolves many classes above.

Not sarcastic at all. They went down to 9 men because they couldn’t live with us. Traore was terrorising them. It wasnt bad luck that got their men sent off it was desperation

Just back in from the game and i am completely knackered and frustrated. I want to make different scattered points about the game that sum up what i feel and saw-

I was fuming before the game begun today i wanted a midfield three of either Howson, leadbitter and Besic or Howson, Clayton and Besic, but Clayton and leadbitter together is too negative in the approach.

We were poor today and deserved nothing from the game but we still could have got a point out of that game because we missed 2 open goals.

Leadbitter should have gone in the first half that was completely reckless and last man too.

I hated their horrible tactics of every time we got a bit of momentum foul or pull back a man or taking forever for every throw in or goal kicks walking slowly for subs now i know why they are winning the league when get in the lead they are ruthless in closing out the game.

We were too negative today passing backwards and sideways also when it did go up to bamford several times he knocked it down and nobody was their close enough to pick it up (particularly first half). I think that was partly down to what i had feared before the start of the game.

We did dominate against nine men, we just didn't/don't have the creativity or nous when it comes to our play with the ball.  We barely have a creative player at the club let alone in the side.  Traore did his usual thing but there was nothing else.  Downing flatters to deceive and has been doing so for a few months - a nice touch here, a nice pass there, a shot that goes close but ultimately much of what he does ends up making little difference.  After those two what else do we have?  What else did we have today?  The answer is nothing and it showed.

Someone earlier in the thread said something about remembering we were playing against a Premier League team in the making.  Well we were a Premier League side last season ourselves.  The gap between us and Wolves is far bigger than it should be.  Another good side we can't beat,  it's not coincidence unfortunately.

As for the game, it was in some ways like watching teams playing against us the season we got promoted except that Wolves have more quality and are better going forwards than we were in that season.  We could barely land a punch on them and if they'd got the decision they should have following Friend's foul we'd have ended up losing by a greater margin in my opinion.  As it is we happened to have one of the worst referees of recent times today and he missed it as it would seem did his assistant.  They then lost their heads and that limited what they were able to do.

I reckon it must have been about 15 mins between Neves being sent off and Assombalonga coming on?  I think it was near enough 10 mins before Howson replaced Leadbitter?  I'm not sure what Pulis was waiting for, possibly just trying to make sure we didn't concede that crucial third goal  :rolleyes:

We lost to a better team of that there is no doubt and it was a result I expected.  I think 5 wins sees us in the play offs, 4 wins probably does especially if they come in the right games.  Burton and Forest should be nailed on wins, Derby appear to be bottling it and then 3 of the remaining games are against rivals for the two play off spots.  I reckon we can do it but we really aren't anywhere near the side we were in 2014/15 or 2015/16.

They're the second best defence in the league, trying to score 2 against 9 men behind the ball isn't exactly simple. Another 10-20 minutes and we would've leveled.

They're the second best defence in the league, trying to score 2 against 9 men behind the ball isn't exactly simple. Another 10-20 minutes and we would've leveled.

Ha if that chance had not just been blasted but placed when the keeper was on the floor wed of levelled as well and probably gone onto to win because they'd of bricked it then because momentum and confidence would have been with us...

One of my non-Boro mates watched us and text me saying "you just werent good enough. Traore looked good but thats about it. Britt did nothing when he came on. You need a #10, were you playing 3 dcm? Neves wasnt as impressive as ive been led to imagine." Cant fault much of what he said. The Crainie sub summed it up for me, should have been Harrison or Baker. We looked absoluty devoid of ideas. Britt and Bamford dropping deep I cab understand when they have 11 men but they had 9 men and nobody from midfield was overrlapping and filling the void. Britt did pull a nice ball back but Howson hit their defender. Their first goal might have been stopped at source if Clayton didnt tuen his back on the ball when trying to block the clearance.

Sir, that is an excellent post