oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Wolves 1-2 (Bamford)

Frailty. Incapable of beating teams above us and although the football was not that bad it was negative. It’s a poor state of affairs when you can’t dominate nine men. I don’t belive we will go up and neither should we. We are a championship team where we at least can win a few games.

We did dominate against nine men, we just didn't/don't have the creativity or nous when it comes to our play with the ball.  We barely have a creative player at the club let alone in the side.  Traore did his usual thing but there was nothing else.  Downing flatters to deceive and has been doing so for a few months - a nice touch here, a nice pass there, a shot that goes close but ultimately much of what he does ends up making little difference.  After those two what else do we have?  What else did we have today?  The answer is nothing and it showed.

Someone earlier in the thread said something about remembering we were playing against a Premier League team in the making.  Well we were a Premier League side last season ourselves.  The gap between us and Wolves is far bigger than it should be.  Another good side we can't beat,  it's not coincidence unfortunately.

As for the game, it was in some ways like watching teams playing against us the season we got promoted except that Wolves have more quality and are better going forwards than we were in that season.  We could barely land a punch on them and if they'd got the decision they should have following Friend's foul we'd have ended up losing by a greater margin in my opinion.  As it is we happened to have one of the worst referees of recent times today and he missed it as it would seem did his assistant.  They then lost their heads and that limited what they were able to do.

I reckon it must have been about 15 mins between Neves being sent off and Assombalonga coming on?  I think it was near enough 10 mins before Howson replaced Leadbitter?  I'm not sure what Pulis was waiting for, possibly just trying to make sure we didn't concede that crucial third goal  :rolleyes:

We lost to a better team of that there is no doubt and it was a result I expected.  I think 5 wins sees us in the play offs, 4 wins probably does especially if they come in the right games.  Burton and Forest should be nailed on wins, Derby appear to be bottling it and then 3 of the remaining games are against rivals for the two play off spots.  I reckon we can do it but we really aren't anywhere near the side we were in 2014/15 or 2015/16.

Yeah we're a long way from those teams that we had under Karanka, not only were we better defensively then we had more options going forward.

Saying that I think Wolves are a lot better than the Brighton and Burnley teams we were competing with for promotion. They are as good as I've seen at this level for quite a long time, individually they've got some excellent players but tactically they are superb.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Bournemouth and Watford looked as good if not better. They are certainly a decent side though, no question about it. Good team and good individual players, nice combination to have and rightfully they will be in the Premier League next season.

Other than the spell after us conceding a ***ing awful goal thanks to Grant just leaving his man completely, I don't remember them dominating us at all.

First 30 was even.

They scored, it spurred them on, they got a second.

Half time hit, we started looking better, they panicked, lost men, we dominated, we eventually scored but it was too late.

Wasn't as bad a performance as folk are making out. We are just impotent in the creative area. A few half chances but that's about it. Might be worth trying Baker for Leadbitter and having Howson and Besic behind. Gotta try something.

They're the second best defence in the league, trying to score 2 against 9 men behind the ball isn't exactly simple. Another 10-20 minutes and we would've leveled.

So you agree we are not good enough to beat a 9 man team. May as well give up the club.

They're the second best defence in the league, trying to score 2 against 9 men behind the ball isn't exactly simple. Another 10-20 minutes and we would've leveled.

So you agree we are not good enough to beat a 9 man team. May as well give up the club.

When did we play against a 9 men team? We played against 11 men for a hour then 10 for 10mins then 9 for the last 20. Of which they were defending for their lives.

Wolves are a very good championship team. I’d say we are are slightly above average championship team. I still think we’ll finish in the play offs and I feel better going into them with Tony then I did with either AK or GM

Frailty. Incapable of beating teams above us and although the football was not that bad it was negative. It’s a poor state of affairs when you can’t dominate nine men. I don’t belive we will go up and neither should we. We are a championship team where we at least can win a few games.

I would say we did dominate Wolves. Just couldn’t put the ball in the net enough

Dunno if this is sarcastic? We only ‘dominated’ when they were down to 9 men, and even then we couldn’t score. Wolves many classes above.

Not sarcastic at all. They went down to 9 men because they couldn’t live with us. Traore was terrorising them. It wasnt bad luck that got their men sent off it was desperation

Fair enough, guess we just saw it differently. Thought the game was never in doubt for Wolves really and until the two sendings off they could have easily got a third and we hadn’t even registered a shot on target yet.

I know what your saying that it was our pressure that induced the red cards, but let’s be honest also some poor refereeing.

My main worry is Traore is our only option going forward. ALL play went through him, what’s going to happen when he inevitably goes in the summer. We’ve had problems with creativity for years now, but this is the worst it’s been in my opinion.

Watching Wolves spraying the ball around, and the pace and vision from pretty much all their players just highlighted how far we are away from the top of this league, and I’m struggling to see how it’ll be much different next season unless there’s a serious overhaul, which given our expenditure in the summer, seems unlikely.

I would say we did dominate Wolves. Just couldn’t put the ball in the net enough

Dunno if this is sarcastic? We only ‘dominated’ when they were down to 9 men, and even then we couldn’t score. Wolves many classes above.

Not sarcastic at all. They went down to 9 men because they couldn’t live with us. Traore was terrorising them. It wasnt bad luck that got their men sent off it was desperation

Fair enough, guess we just saw it differently. Thought the game was never in doubt for Wolves really and until the two sendings off they could have easily got a third and we hadn’t even registered a shot on target yet.

I know what your saying that it was our pressure that induced the red cards, but let’s be honest also some poor refereeing.

My main worry is Traore is our only option going forward. ALL play went through him, what’s going to happen when he inevitably goes in the summer. We’ve had problems with creativity for years now, but this is the worst it’s been in my opinion.

Watching Wolves spraying the ball around, and the pace and vision from pretty much all their players just highlighted how far we are away from the top of this league, and I’m struggling to see how it’ll be much different next season unless there’s a serious overhaul, which given our expenditure in the summer, seems unlikely.

Not disputing that wolves are a good side. Sometimes this season it’s like they’re playing a different game to everyone else.

On Traore he’s a powerful weapon but I don’t think we should build a team around him because when he’s off the ball he’s terrible.

The big issue yesterday was the gulf between Paddy and our midfield. I’m not sure what Claytons role was but he was often our furthest forward midfielder and Besic was sat just in front of Gibbo. That was never going to work.

I don’t think we need a massive overhaul just slightly better quality in 3/4 positions

Nah Pulis will be given it I think Gibson will have respected the fact he cut the wage bill over the January transfer window and did not ask for any significant amount of money. I think Pulis mistake will come if Gestede gets fit and he drops Bamford for him ..... that be the end of me going to games I cant justify 80 pound in total every couple of weeks watching hoof ball to Gestede with no end product or them horrible long throw ins with no end product. However if he buys players that can actually make good use of the long balls up field and them long throw-ins fine ill go at least hes making the system work (even if i dont 100% like it) however right now we dont have the players to make the best of them scenarios.

Not disputing that wolves are a good side. Sometimes this season it’s like they’re playing a different game to everyone else.

On Traore he’s a powerful weapon but I don’t think we should build a team around him because when he’s off the ball he’s terrible.

The big issue yesterday was the gulf between Paddy and our midfield. I’m not sure what Claytons role was but he was often our furthest forward midfielder and Besic was sat just in front of Gibbo. That was never going to work.

I don’t think we need a massive overhaul just slightly better quality in 3/4 positions

Yeah definitely. I think a Besic, Howson, Leads/Clayts midfield works well, but a Besic, Leadbitter, Clayton doesn’t.

Personal attacks are banned on this forum but really, posts like this just make you look like an utter doyle.

Well we did beat a 9 man team, 1-0...

Well we did beat a 9 man team, 1-0...

Haha. I like that positivity!

From where I was in the South stand, yesterday, I couldn’t see a lot of contact from George, it looked like the right decision. Does anyone have a link to the match highlights, so I can view it from another angle?

The match highlights on Sky we're pretty inconclusive for me but apparently there was an angle on the TV broadcast that showed Friend just clip him.

What we lack:

Creativity, vision and determination...

Why do we run directly, shoot directly and place ourselves directly into the wolves defenders?

No one got the ball, while running... It was so frustrating to watch, that the ones who got the ball, couldn't pass it on or dribble away, if they had the skills, because they received the leather too damn close to the defenders... And NOT while running .. I know it looks easy, when you have the full view from the sideline (TV) .. But still ..

And oh my GOD, stewart .. How could you miss a sitter like that .. Just tap it in .. just tap it in .. why blast it wide like that?????

That's it ..I'm done.... with complaining .. On to the next game! #UTB (I just had to let my frustrations out) :P