• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me id of loved to see what Braithwaite and Besic could do behind Bamford with leadbitter or Clayton sitting in behind that for me would have worked perfectly.

What would you have done differently from the start yesterday now we've had the benefit of watching the game?

The problem with that question is that the manager we have essentially has one way of playing and one way only.  So regardless of what other people may have done, I'm not sure Pulis would have done a great deal different even with hindsight.

I thought Bamford being so isolated played into their hands as it made it pretty difficult for us to cause them any problems.  You think about the line up yesterday and we basically had one striker and two other attacking players on the park, one of which isn't that influential when it comes down to it.  If you don't carry much of a threat you simply make it easier for the opposition to threaten you.

That midfield three lacks much pace and mobility (I just call it legs) but it showed and let's be honest it's showed against inferior sides to Wolves.  No idea what was going on with Clayton and what that was meant to achieve but as it clearly wasn't working it's staggering that changes weren't made at half time - that's not even hindsight, that's just what was obviously required during the game.  We were two nil down and going nowhere and has it happens we didn't make any changes until after they'd gone down to 10 men - I'd say Pulis was scared but I would have thought he was too experienced for that tbh.

We have a manager who wants to play a limited type of game and we don't really have the squad for it - I don't ever want the squad for it for what it's worth.  I might have tried Downing through the middle along with Besic and Clayton maybe with Harrison out wide (although it's unclear to me at the moment why we even signed him).  Bamford thrives on intelligent players behind him, not on crosses into the box or whatever else, so maybe Downing further forward through the middle could have given us some of that whilst potentially adding a more aggressive attacking player out wide in Harrison.

As others have mentioned we could have pushed up a bit more but we lack pace at the back and Pulis is the type of manager to drop deeper not push further up.  We could have matched their formation and went man for man all over the pitch perhaps but again I don't see Pulis doing that as it's not in his nature.  

When it comes down to it I don't think we've improved at all under Pulis, I'd say we just got a favourable run of games against poor sides and we mostly took care of business and we got an injury to a player that has probably helped us out although it should never come down to something like that.  I doubt a Pulis lead team could have done much yesterday really even with the benefit of hindsight.

I wasn't trying to defend Pulis or his tactics and I'd agree with the majority of what you've posted.

I was just trying to provoke a bit of a tactical discussion that's all. I don't think we've seen many teams shape up like Wolves did yesterday and I was interested to see how people would counteract that that if they were picking our team.

We come back to the same problems week after week on this forum, mostly because the majority of people on here know what they are talking about. We need a No10 to add some guile to our attacking threat, a midfielder to link everything up going forward and a left sided attacker with pace and a cross on him. Tactically yesterday was frankly embarrassing, playing three defensive midfielders playing hop scotch in the centre circle was never going to work against a team as good as Wolves are going forward. You would think we were the away team trying to keep the score down. and once they had cottoned on to what we were doing, Neves just pulled us apart. We need three points against Burton so I hope that Pulis can admit he is wrong, drop Leadbitter,  and put some movement back into midfield, his system yesterday hardly gave Besic a kick. I live in hope, but in reality, I guess GL will be the first name pencilled in on the team sheet.

What would you have done differently from the start yesterday now we've had the benefit of watching the game?

I watched Villa play them the other week and they flooded their midfield above the centre circle to prevent Wolves using their excellent wing backs, with Neves man marked for 90 minutes and it worked as Villa just snuffed them out. I think Pulis tried something similar yesterday but sat back far too deep, giving them the initiative. I have watched a Pulis inspired team for two seasons at WBA and it is always the same, it is like a boxer with only a counter punch to rely on.

Yeah looking back we could have probably pushed our defence a good 10 yards up the pitch, they had no pace up there with Afobe. Saying that the runners from deep might have caught us out like Costa nearly did in the second half.

You're right about badly lacking a wide left player and a number 10, that's been an issue for how long now, about 2 years?

The defensive line was fine. The midfield needed to push up 5-10 yards and sit on Neves. He wouldn't have been able to supply the wing backs as easily. I think Clayton's still trying to work out what he was meant to be doing.

To be honest there's only so much a tactical set up can do if the opponent is better man for man in every position. These are Champions League players playing in the Championship...

Against a 3-4-2-1 the middle is very congested, but if you attack outwide beyond their wingbacks and force their 3 Centre backs to stretch and push out wide, then switch play quickly to the other wing or play a diagonal ball in behind their defence you can really hurt them.

Villa completely destroyed Wolves doing this, but their wingers were Adomah and Snodgrass who are two of the best goalscoring widemen in the division.

It's very difficult to mark the wing backs in a 3-4-2-1 as we discovered against Chelsea last year, the back 4 is so preoccupied with the movement and interchanging of the opposition front 3 that the wingbacks are wide open for quick switches.

I'm not too disheartened by the result yesterday, I just don't like playing 3 defensive midfielders and Downing all at the same time, there's just no threat...

To be honest there's only so much a tactical set up can do if the opponent is better man for man in every position. These are Champions League players playing in the Championship...

Against a 3-4-2-1 the middle is very congested, but if you attack outwide beyond their wingbacks and force their 3 Centre backs to stretch and push out wide, then switch play quickly to the other wing or play a diagonal ball in behind their defence you can really hurt them.

Villa completely destroyed Wolves doing this, but their wingers were Adomah and Snodgrass who are two of the best goalscoring widemen in the division.

It's very difficult to mark the wing backs in a 3-4-2-1 as we discovered against Chelsea last year, the back 4 is so preoccupied with the movement and interchanging of the opposition front 3 that the wingbacks are wide open for quick switches.

I'm not too disheartened by the result yesterday, I just don't like playing 3 defensive midfielders and Downing all at the same time, there's just no threat...

Good post mate I think the last line says it all for me (defensive midfielders and no threat) with no intel on how to pass a forward ball. I wanted to get on that pitch last night and ring Claytons neck yes he gives it all he has but those pass's continuously back to the defenders really was irritating me and Besic the guy you can see as skills and can go easily through players but has no idea where to pass the ball to or who he is going to pass it to and nine times out of ten his passing is so weak it never makes it to another Boro player before being cut out.

Leadbitter for me has lost it wandering about the pitch with no real impact.

Infact the only time the midfield woke up was when Howson got on the pitch but by then it was to late.

Oh and please don't anybody talk to me about that Britass geezer what a total waste of money that guy is. God knows how he scored that dozen or so goals in the early part of the season.He came on last night to boost up the attack and did not have a clue.

We have got to have another forward in the squad that wants to play for the Boro and score goals because looking at him last night I think he is just going through the motions and does not really want to be out there.

Pulis should give a youth player a chance and drop Brittass and get rid of him at the end of the season.

The team on the whole as a decent back four,one midfielder that can take on defenders and make accurate pass's and score goals and one forward that given the service will score many goals.

Are we good enough to stay in the playoffs and go up.

No way.

A defeat and poor performance against the best team in the league, on the back of a great run of form whilst still sitting in the top 6. No big deal. We move on to the next game. Having got that one out the way - albeit of course we'd have liked to have done better - I still like our chances of a top 6 finish.

I also don't fear any of the teams that could finish 3rd to 6th. Our record against the better teams is poor. But they're nothing special. I think we should be relishing the challenge / our prospects at this point. And looking forward to the prospect of some potential big play off fixtures to close the season.

A defeat and poor performance against the best team in the league, on the back of a great run of form whilst still sitting in the top 6. No big deal. We move on to the next game. Having got that one out the way - albeit of course we'd have liked to have done better - I still like our chances of a top 6 finish.

I also don't fear any of the teams that could finish 3rd to 6th. Our record against the better teams is poor. But they're nothing special. I think we should be relishing the challenge / our prospects at this point. And looking forward to the prospect of some potential big play off fixtures to close the season.

Fulham look pretty special atm. Haven’t lost a game since mid December.

It is a big deal. At least to me because it shows we haven’t really improved under Pulis. Tbh I think we would have been in the same situation under Monk this that’s a different discussion. I don’t think we are moving forward under Pulis. Sure we can beat the weak teams which has got us into the play off but we have some tough games coming up and it doesn’t look like Pulis know someone how to beat he better teams in this league just like Monk. He’s just way too cautious. We have such a good record when taking the lead so why not let that be the focal point of his tactics.

I think that’s an incredibly optimistic view bordering on arrogance. We haven’t beaten anyone in the top 6 all season yet you think we have nothing to fear against them all? Fulham are on fire for a start. Unbeaten since December. What evidence says we should have nothing to fear? I still don’t think we’ll finish top 6 anyway let alone do well in the play offs.

we where very unlucky against Fulham. That was a a claer robbery we should have won that one easy so think on a good day with Pulis we can beat anyone :) So dont agree with Borodane