oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Nottingham Forest 2-0 (Ayala, Downing)

Much needed 3 points today and a better performance as well.

Goals were well taken - it's nice to see us actuality capitalising from set pieces as we usually fail to utilise them fully. The long throw to Ayala seemed to work every time. Speaking of Ayala, he was our best striker today. Lovely goal and the overhead kick would have been a wonder goal (although I somehow doubt it would have got the plaudits that rons goal got...)

Thought bamford did well, even though he was usually being pulled back by one of their defenders - the ref gave him no protection.

Traore was very quiet, quickly snuffed out by forest whenever he tried to get going - I suppose if anyone knows how to stop him it would be Aitor.

Thought forest gave a typical karanka performance, lots of nice passing football and possession, but I never really felt like they were going to score, even when they were camped in our third of the pitch for spells.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well my 0-0 bet bomded so no food on the table next week but it’s only money and I am well pleased with the three points. Millwall at home is looking like a decider at the moment

i'd rather we start that game with them needing to beat us for the sixth spot rather than the other way round.

Expected result played well 1st half but 2nd half not a lot to talk about just sat back and gave the ball away far to often. Thought Forest shackled Traore really well, very quick into the tackle against him reminiscent of what Spurs did last season. Bamford's the way he brings a ball under control is superb.

Now its the big games to come against the teams around us, the ones that will define our season.

Good 3 points but the way we played in the second half was worrying. A better team would have battered us.

It's hard to see us beating anyone decent in the playoffs with the way we are playing. That's if we even get there.

Probably the perfect performance today. Won it in the first half and coasted.

As stated Bamford was brilliant. He’s getting better by the week.

Hopefully Adama just a bit tired as with Besic.

Ayala was brilliant as well.

Dreading and excited for Tuesday night.

Echo the sentiments on Bamford. I think it would it would be fair to say he holds the ball up better than Gestede even in a Pulis system? His first touch is so good, the ball just sticks to him... always thinking about the next phase. Even wins a fair few headers.

If we don't go up I would hope next season is built around him upfront.

'And the rain fell in a torrent, as the Gods themselves wept at the thought of watching Pulis v Karanka'

'A Game of Throwins' Chapter 41.

Actually it wasn't that bad to be fair.  In fact it was a meandering trip down memory lane as we watched a Karanka side trailing in a game trying to beat what was essentially a Karanka side winning in a game.  Unfortunately for Aitor, there's really only one outcome in that situation.

I think it's fair to say that the game lacked a great deal of quality.  It was odd in that we seemed to be two nil up before anything had actually happened.  Corner first then a long throw and we had two goals. Really, once we'd scored the first it was probably game over anyway.  We've seen it ourselves often enough in the past and this Forest side had failed to score in 9 of the 13 games that Karanka had been in charge, now 10 out of 14.

Ayala's finish was a nice touch of class though it has to be said.  More surprising than that however was Downing scoring a goal!  Ayala turning on a sixpence and putting it in the top corner is one thing but Downing hitting the back of the net, and with his weaker foot, is truly something to behold  :omg:  You'd have to think that they made for two very happy goalscorers and will be enjoying their evenings immensely.

The second half we basically just out-Karanked Karanka.  They changed to be fair and had more of a go at us but we've seen it all before.  We still sat deeper than I'd have preferred and Pulis appeared to be telling them to push up but for the most part Forest just played in front of us and when we had to do some real defending we got the job done.

It was a much needed win after last weekend and obviously going into the last few fixtures.  Heading to Sheff Utd having dropped points again would have been less than ideal to say the least but once we were ahead I don't think there was any danger of that happening.

Bamford had a good game I thought, Traore less so but let's credit Karanka with that.   I felt so sorry for Assombalonga.  Getting a goal today would have meant a lot to him for a few reasons but he just looks absolutely shot of confidence.  You have to feel for the fella.

We need to make sure that the gap between ourselves and Sheff Utd doesn't get any closer on Tuesday night.  A point wouldn't be too bad although I reckon they are there for the taking.

Traore wasn't himself today, I don't know whether he was ill or carrying a knock but something wasn't right. I don't think it was Forest doing anything special to stop him, he was just well off the pace.

I agree with the comments about Bamford, he's a class above any other striker we've got. I hope we build a team around him next season but I'm not sure Pulis will.

Traore wasn't himself today, I don't know whether he was ill or carrying a knock but something wasn't right. I don't think it was Forest doing anything special to stop him, he was just well off the pace.

I agree with the comments about Bamford, he's a class above any other striker we've got. I hope we build a team around him next season but I'm not sure Pulis will.

I think Pulis realises that Bamford is good. If he didn't, surely he wouldn't be playing Bamford ahead of a £15M club record signing. (Not being sarky, I just think Assombalonga would have been the 'easier' option for a new manager to stick with (If that makes sense)).

He played them both against Sunderland after Gestede was injured. Bamford scored twice and Assombalonga was subbed after an hour. I think Britt played up front on his own after Traore was sent off and then Bamford moved up front when Britt was subbed. Bamford was his third choice striker, it's pretty clear that he was behind both Gestede and Assombalonga.