• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a very tricky run-in and unless our form picks up dramatically, starting today, I can’t see us finishing in the play offs spots.

I am still completely uncertain. It looks tricky, based on our form against the top sides. But being able to take points of our direct rivals should surely be some kind of motivational boost?

Last 6 games.

1 against our former manager (who is much loved by many, not so much by others)

4 genuine 6 pointers (in theory)

Final game against a team saying goodbye to a (relatively) long serving manager.

Just no nothing games (yet). Which is surely what we want for the season finale.

Then the 3 extra games as we head to the promised land...

If you look, Derby, Sheff Utd, Millwall and Bristol City all have tricky run ins. Sheff Utd play just about everyone else. Derby have Wolves, us, Cardiff and Villa, Millwall go to us and Sheff Utd and have Fulham and Villa at home. Bristol City probably have the easiest finish but they still have to come here and then the final day has them at home against Sheff Utd.

I reckon if we can avoid defeat on Tuesday night against Sheff Utd and then beat both Bristol City and Millwall then that alone might just see us home. Easier said than done of course!

If you look, Derby, Sheff Utd, Millwall and Bristol City all have tricky run ins. Sheff Utd play just about everyone else. Derby have Wolves, us, Cardiff and Villa, Millwall go to us and Sheff Utd and have Fulham and Villa at home. Bristol City probably have the easiest finish but they still have to come here and then the final day has them at home against Sheff Utd.

I reckon if we can avoid defeat on Tuesday night against Sheff Utd and then beat both Bristol City and Millwall then that alone might just see us home. Easier said than done of course!

Yeah I was saying the same at the match today, get those results you've mentioned and we'll have a playoff position in the bag before Ipswich.

Love it

It seems we could be king makers (us) and king killers! Blades and Bristol City are already 4 points out of the top 6 (us). Another defeat from them/win for us would effectively end their seasons.  My mind says get into 'em early, hopefully score and hope their spirits drop. Not sure how easy that will be.

I am concerned about the Millwall bandwagon.

I’m remaining pessimistic, the one thing i’ve learnt watching the boro is the more hope you have the more you’ve got to lose...

We need to win on tues in my mind, killing off Steff Utd is important as they have a decent run in. I’m slightly concerned about the team’s fitness. We looked leggy against burton and i’m hoping for no repeat.

With seemingly all the contenders unable to put a run together apart from Millwall the I think 75 points should clinch 6th spot. I believe we can get to that total by winning our home games and only being beaten by Derby away. It is going to be tough as let’s face it we are not exactly on fire but the Millwall game is going to be the crucial one for me

I'm not sure you'll need 75 points. A while back I think I said 71-74 points is where we'll get to and that could be enough depending on what side of it we finish. I reckon this could still be about right.

Sheffield U. v Boro 1-2

Boro v Bristol City 3-0

Derby v Boro 1-1

Boro v Millwall 1-0

Ipswich v Boro 0-1

79 points = 5th place

You saw it here first!

I really do think it’s one game at a time now. So many of the contenders play each other it will change from game to game.

It’s a case of who hold their nerve. My main worry is we don’t seem to have that killer instinct we had in the promotion season. Then, after Charlton we just didn’t ever look like letting anyone beat us.

Going to be a long week.

On the Boro Podcast this week they made the point that if we DO make the playoffs, we will do so absolutely brimming with confidence, because we will have beaten a load of teams directly around us to get there. On the other hand, if we don't, it's because we haven't been good enough to beat the better teams, which we'd have to do in the playoffs anyway.

As for whether we can, I don't really know. There is obviously a mental block over us when we are facing these teams, and yet we've shown almost all season that we tend to win games when we go in front, and we have a weapon in Traore that no defence in the division will fancy coming up against, even if he has dropped off recently

I'm inclined to agree with CT- win the home games, and get a point from the away ones, and the points we're taking off the other teams should get us over the line.

The fact that it's all in our own hands with 5 games to go should be a booster. We only have to rely on ourselves and that should be enough for the players to give 100%. Let's just hope that Pulis ditches the cautios approach in the top games and plays to get the first goal.

I am mindful that of the 4 games we have played so far against Sheffield United, Derby, Bristol City and Millwall we have gained a paltry 3 points and we should not forget that.

The Derby home games (which makes it worse) was a shambles and surely we can not implode that badly again and gift them goals.

Bristol City we never do well against them and they have a tendency to do doubles over us.

Sheffield Utd will think themselves unlucky first game of the season which may turn to our advantage on Tuesday.

Millwall, unless they suffer some losses between now and when we play them are so high in confidence and very difficult to beat and they do make it hard for us at The Riverside.

So yes we simply have to pick up points against every single one of them and as others have stated maybe we have to go out and get the first goal somehow