oneBoro Forum

The Run In

The more I think about the playoffs, the more I’m convincing myself that even if we do scrape our way in it’s just going to end in instant heartache.

14/15 I was confident we could beat any of the teams in  the playoffs, we’d done the double on Norwich, the double on Brentford, and smashed Ipswich recently 4-1.

This year we haven’t beaten any of the current top 6, and realistically have shown absolutely nothing to suggest we’d beat them when the pressures on.

How’s that to brighten up your Saturday morning :)

Prove me wrong Boro, I dare ya!

There's a lot of truth in this. It's something I mentioned the other day. Although obviously I am hoping we do make the playoffs, and will be willing the team to do so, I have a worry that getting into them, but not getting promoted (or even making the final) will be seen as being a success of sorts by Gibson, and that he will think Pulis deserves another year. 

And maybe he's right - maybe a Pulis team with a full pre-season will be promotion material next season. But nothing I've seen so far has convinced me of that being the case.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Against the teams currently sitting in top 10:

- Our last and only win was back in August against Sheffield United(H). 

- Apart from our 1 win, we've drawn 4 and lost 10.

- A remarkable 7 points from 15 games.

There's absolutely no reason to be optimistic about our run-in, especially considering we've lost the first game against the 3 remaining teams(in top 10) we're about to face(Bristol, Derby and Millwall).

I don’t see any difference despite the change in management which concludes the players are at fault. On many occasions BORO were gifted the chance to cement there place in the playoffs and typically declined the opertunity. I don’t see any reason to be optimistic but there again I have not for many months.

We need a total mentality change a*** the squad if we're going to get into the play offs and then promoted. Traore is the one player who gives us that slight hope of promotion via the play offs. If he's taken out of the side we're absolutely average at best so we will have no chance without him.

The play offs are a funny situation. In the 2014/15 season we looked well set for promotion via them but then fell apart in the final vs Norwich, which emphasised how the play offs aren't too predictable. If we scrape into the play offs then it will have been a decent accomplishment considering the fairly lacklustre strength of this squad. Facing a disheartened Cardiff, that could blow their comfortable top two lead, is starting to look less daunting as they seem to be stumble that bit more.

Well that is the cat a***st the pigeons!

Who would have thought we would be now in fifth spot but Millwall are right there with us despite drawing (talk about an unbeaten run), Preston still hovering and Derby imploding, game in hand against Cardiff to come after we play them I believe on the 24th, if we beat Derby then there game in hand means beating Cardiff is the only result they can get to keep hopes alive

This is going to go to the last game of the season I think to decide both 5th and 6th spot and ours to lose

Millwalls remaining games, Us away, Fulham and Villa home ...

If we don't lose to them, we will finish better than them ...

Derbys run in .. Us home, Cardiff home, Villa away and Barnsley home

If we don't lose to Derby, and if we get something from Ipswich, we will qualify ...

BC and SU will face each other in the final game... and SU and Preston will meet the round before...

SU will have a tuff time in their away game in Brum and BC will have their trouble with Hull

I DO BELIEVE, it's up to us now!

3 draws will get us there! But I think we can get away with 5 points in the remaining 3 matches

Great result today!

This also puts more pressure on Cardiff, who now MUST win over Derby in the postponed game, being played the coming tuesday!

We can now lose to Derby tomorrow and still be in the play offs, regardless of other results tomorrow!

I've just been looking at the fixtures and I reckon, provided they come against the correct teams, we should make the playoffs with 4 more points.

3 against Derby Tomorrow and at least 1 against Millwall and I think it's almost certain we'll make the playoffs.

The next set of fixtures for the remaining two places in the play offs are as follows:

Boro V Millwall

Forest V Bristol City

Sheffield Utd V PNE

Aston Villa V Derby County

Barnsley V Brentford.

Final day are as follows:

PNE V Burton

Bristol City V Sheffield United

Derby County V Barnsley

Millwall V Villa

Brentford V Hull.

Ipswich V Boro

A lot will depend on the Derby V Cardiff game midweek but assuming that Derby either lose or draw then based on the games it would seem that both Boro and Brentford will be favourites to finish top 6.

Personally think BC and SU are out of the equation now and PNE with only a sliver of hope in their final game.

Millwall really tough ask and with Derby playing Villa feel they have too much to do and at the wrong time.

Yes there will probably be a surprise result or two but for me at this time it is Boro and Brentford

Cardiff v Derby is a hard one to want to predict. If Cardiff win that, it will likely be Fulham who are playing in the play-offs, a team who I'm seeing as unstoppable right now. But a Derby win would bring the pressure back on. With Villa away to come, perhaps a Derby win is still the better option as they can't (by themselves) push us out of the play-off spots. But alternatively, we're not even there yet and any result to ensure that is a good result. Ugh!

I think a lot depends on our next match. If Millwall beat us then they will get into the playoffs at our expense. I think they will probably win their match against Villa because the Den will be really hostile and Villa will be out of the running for autos by then and won't have anything to play for. Ipswich is not a happy hunting ground for us, so I'm not confident about our getting a win there. I know we won there last time, but that was unusual and it was the first time in around 15 years.

Cardiff v Derby is a hard one to want to predict. If Cardiff win that, it will likely be Fulham who are playing in the play-offs, a team who I'm seeing as unstoppable right now. But a Derby win would bring the pressure back on. With Villa away to come, perhaps a Derby win is still the better option as they can't (by themselves) push us out of the play-off spots. But alternatively, we're not even there yet and any result to ensure that is a good result. Ugh!

I’m hoping for a Cardiff win. As long as we finish 5th we’ll face Villa over 2 legs. If we get past them, anything can happen in the final, l certainly don’t fear Fulham anymore than I fear anyone else.

We beat Norwich twice in the league 3 seasons ago, but they still beat us in the play offs.

I just think on top of Fulham's incredible unbeaten record, tactically their set-up really kills ours as I've mentioned before. That Sheffield United away game in the first half wasn't just down to bad performances, the wing-backs and the extra midfielder completely overran us. It wasn't until we were already 2-0 down at half time that we matched them up and despite looking much the better for our changes, we were still 2-0 down, a mountain to climb was too much in 45 minutes.

I'd definitely rather play Fulham at Wembley than over 2 legs, though, you're right there.

I just think on top of Fulham's incredible unbeaten record, tactically their set-up really kills ours as I've mentioned before. That Sheffield United away game in the first half wasn't just down to bad performances, the wing-backs and the extra midfielder completely overran us. It wasn't until we were already 2-0 down at half time that we matched them up and despite looking much the better for our changes, we were still 2-0 down, a mountain to climb was too much in 45 minutes.

I'd definitely rather play Fulham at Wembley than over 2 legs, though, you're right there.

We were also down to 10 men after like 20 minutes which didn't help.

Derby played with wingbacks at the weekend and we more than matched them.