oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Sheffield United (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

Let's be honest, Pulis has improved nothing. Say what you like about 'not his team' etc - but his hallowed 'experience' alone should've made a considerably bigger difference than it has. My fear at his appointment still lingers; he simply hasn't the adaptability to perform the job required of him.

We owe our position to two names. Traore and Bamford. Their return to average form as oppose to stupendous form has seen us left wanting; it was simply a papering over of the cracks.

If Pulis could get us promoted, I can't think of a better manager to keep us in the Premiership. An appointment to get us promoted, though? I simply don't see Pulis' abilities being an asset in that race. We don't have the ability or tactical nuance to be able to challenge the likes of Fulham, Cardiff, Villa or even on current form and performances the likes of Sheff Utd, Bristol City or Millwall.

We don't deserve to be promoted. We're not good enough. We've not been good enough. Existence is futile, in the Premiership or the Championship.

Yes yes yes. If we do manage to get promoted by some divine intervention Pulis is likely the best option although I’d rather just go for it and get someone completely new who has a history of wanting to score goals.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If we want to go up next season we need to bring in some younger players with energy.

Friend and Leadbitter are finished at this level and Downing doesn't have the legs to play on the left or as a number 10.

We don't have a right back and desperately need some creativity.

It's a good job we've got Gary Gill on the case.

The clear out is going to be massive. I don’t think there is one player I’m really going to miss. Anyone can be replaced.

For the first 11; I'd keep.

Randolph

Ayala

Gibson

Traore

Bamford

Most of the others I wouldn't mind as squad players but wouldn't really care if we sold them.

That second half was significantly better than what we threw up in the first. I think Pulis deserves some credit for that, to be honest. His mess to clean up of course when he picks Grant Leadbitter who simply hasn't got the legs and the tactics in the first half were crap even before he got sent off. But no doubt in my mind, that second half we were better than United despite being a man down. We actually managed to impose ourselves on them a bit more and certainly put much more pressure on the ball. And hell, we actually got a performance without Traore on the pitch, who'd have thought?

Could be a blessing in disguise, you know. Had Britt had another man to work with up front, I genuinely wonder if that tactic could work for us in the run-in. Worth saying I think Britt did a good job up front considering the situation.

Fabio on his proper side, too (couldn't care less what anyone says, he's not a left-back in any system we could play under Pulis). He did a lot of running though as ever, he threatened to get himself sent off for acting like a child. But that's what Humpty loves about him, so it doesn't really matter.

Clayton also has legs still. He might not be the most dynamic midfielder in the world but it absolutely baffles me that when we have him and Leadbitter available, he chooses Leadbitter. We know what we need one of them on the pitch for, neither of the rest of our midfielders can battle the way them two used to do. Difference is Clayton still can and somehow can't get in the team. Utterly baffling.

I agree with not of that although I don’t think it was in any way a blessing in disguise. It was just poor. And I’d like to see Fabio at left back instead of friend who doesn’t offer anything. It’s not like the left back has to cover a marauding winger.

Point I was making was with regards to the rest of our games, not that it was a blessing today. He has to change at least one thing with Captain Fantastic going out, why not make the change that saw us go from cowering in our own half with 11 men to much more control of a game with 10.

Worrying thing is we haven’t improved in the slightest from Monk, could even be argued that we have gone backwards.

Another awful decision from Gibson (so many) let’s just hope he realises his mistake before Pulis is allowed a full transfer window and fills the squad full of aging players on huge contracts.

Have had very little chance of the playoffs for weeks but tonight has confirmed it. Shocking

Sorry but any manager needs more than 3 and a half months to build a side capable of promotion from the notoriously tough Championship, especially a team in our situation and considering his negative transfer spend in January. I'm massively frustrated but I think we need to give Pulis the time and resources to build the team in the Summer. The fundamentals behind the scenes need to be far better. I'd blame the likes of Gary Gill and Steve Gibson for the situation we're in far more than Pulis who has came into this mess far later than the mess we've languished in for the past 15 months. This "sack the manager" mentality completely overlooks the real deep routed problems within our club. I have faith in the very experienced and successful Pulis in helping to address them problems and turning the club around for a new successful period for the club.

Sorry but any manager needs more than 3 and a half months to build a side capable of promotion from tough Championship, especially a team in our situation and considering his negative transfer spend in January. I'm massively frustrated but I think we need to give Pulis the time and resources to build the team in the Summer. The fundamentals behind the scenes need to be far better. I'd blame the likes of Gary Gill and Steve Gibson for the situation we're in far more than Pulis who has came into this mess far later than the mess we've languished in for the past 15 months. This "sack the manager" mentality completely overlooks the real deep routed problems within our club. I have faith in the very experienced and successful Pulis in helping to address them problems and turning the club around for a new successful period for the club.

I do agree with you on most of that, however I really don't think that Pulis is the man to take us forward. And even if he didn't want to/could spend any money in January he should have done much better. It was so clear what we were lacking and still do. Pulis is a man who can survive in the Premier League as the underdog who never has to create a game. He has done that for a decade now and I just think it's too much to expect him to change his ways. He is experienced in what he does with teams wanting to survive a***st the big teams, but not as a manager of a team that is expected to be at the top. I absolutely loathe the thought of him in charge next season if we are still in this league. And we will be losing thousands of fans in the stands.

I too agree with most of that, p_mards - but Pulis wasn't the right appointment from day one. He's a square peg in a round hole, and even if it's only been 3.5 months, there's enough there to give credence to that assessment.

I don't think anyone could argue that Gary Gill has done a good job. He's failed. Miserably. Time and time again. But there's been a lot of individual talent which has been wasted by Pulis - and talent which Pulis simply hasn't the adaptability to incorporate into his mindset. That could be used as an argument of giving TP the summer to buy his own players, but I personally wouldn't trust him with that money in terms of building a side capable of winning promotion. Premier League survival - yes - but, again, it's a square peg / round hole situation.

Gill needs to go. Pulis I believe too should go. If we're looking to build our way back into the Premiership, we need to build a project both on and off the pitch capable of delivering the stability needed. Look at Dyche at Burnley - got them promoted, they stuck by him during relegation, learned from those mistakes, got promoted again and have established themselves in the Premiership now. There was clamour from many Burnley fans to sack him when they were fighting relegation... but patience and common sense prevailed.

TP isn't that guy. He's a short term solution by Gibson in a bid to quickly appease fans desires and defend his 'smash the league' comments - which I do believe have clouded judgement on all sides this season. Get rid of TP, bring in a young manager with a good pedigree, give them the time to learn from the mistakes that they will undoubtedly make.

I fail to see how Tony Pulis is a square peg in a round hole. We needed a manager and he is a manager. One that has secured promotion from this division with 2 different teams. We also needed a manager with a Plan A & B. Again that fits Tony. It certainly didn’t fit AK or Monk. Just because you don’t like his plan A doesn’t mean he’s the wrong guy.

Personally I think we should stick with him next season. He’s knows more than our last 3 managers put together and I feel it will come to fruition

I fail to see how Tony Pulis is a square peg in a round hole. We needed a manager and he is a manager. One that has secured promotion from this division with 2 different teams. We also needed a manager with a Plan A & B. Again that fits Tony. It certainly didn’t fit AK or Monk. Just because you don’t like his plan A doesn’t mean he’s the wrong guy.

Personally I think we should stick with him next season. He’s knows more than our last 3 managers put together and I feel it will come to fruition

Who is the team other than Stoke he got promoted from this division?

He's not the same manager who won those promotions. Nor is the Championship the same league. I also fail to see his Plan B... Let alone his ability to implement Plan A with the goal required of him and the talent at his disposal.

We've fallen into the 'Old White Guy' syndrome the likes of Swansea, Palace, West Brom etc have fallen into in the past, but at a different level.

The entertainment value I can take or leave personally. To be honest, if we get the results that get you into the Premiership, I'd take the most boring football in the world with Pulis at the helm because, as I've said, I'd trust him implicitly to keep us in the Premiership. The results, the performances, the tactics, the desire... They're all lacking. Some severely.

I think Pulis' decision to trim the squad the way he did in January is now coming back to haunt us. Adama, Bamford, Besic all look tired and we only seemingly have Britt as an attacking option from the bench, as he never brings on Baker or Harrison.

That was a very poor decision that is now costing us because we don't have a Plan B. We had 3 defenders on the bench yesterday along with Clayton. When you have that many defensive subs, you can only try and shut games down.

I really hope Pulis isn't around next season, his only saving grace has been Adama. Our season would have been over a month ago if it wasn't for him.

People can't argue about Bamford because Bamford was playing LM before Gestede got injured and that is the only reason why we aren't playing that horrendous typical Pulis football.

Is Leadbitter suspended for 1 game or 3?

Sadly only one and am I right in that he was given another year extension to his current contract.

The thought of having the faithful four strutting their stuff next season indicates how well we will do :tear:

Hull went to Burton last night with the attitude”this lot have the worst defence in the division”, attacked them from the off and thumped five past them. We treated them like we were playing Man City and managed one goal and one point, says it all really. Pulis is one dimensional tactically and just cannot adapt, it was exactly the same at WBA until the fans just had enough of it. I just do not know where we go from here, bad decision upon bad decision taken at the highest level