oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Sheffield United (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

Is Leadbitter suspended for 1 game or 3?

I've heard we might be able to get it extended to 4 upon appeal

Maybe if the club goes behind Pulis' back. He was apparently hugely disappointed with the referee for the sending off. Baffling.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The real problem is that we're sorely lacking quality in key areas, bringing in Besic was a step in the right direction. Harrison seemed like the young hungry winger we needed at the time but we haven't seen anything from him for whatever reason. I'm fairly confident in Pulis' ability in the transfer window with a decent budget.

We don't want to turn into Leeds, sacking a manager every few months... We're scoring more and conceding less than we were under Monk, but the same underlying problems of being inept against our rivals has remained, will a 3rd manager in one year resolve this? I doubt it...

Is this just a hangover year like Villa last year? I mean we've seen a lot of these players perform better than they have this season.

Don’t buy people saying we aren’t good enough, this squad is much better than our last promotion team in a weaker league

Better on paper? maybe

Better in practice? absolutely not

We've had 2 managers with basically the same squad not able to beat any of the top sides in the league. Sorry to say it but that shows we simply aren't good enough - we've consistently proven we're a very average team in this division

Don’t buy people saying we aren’t good enough, this squad is much better than our last promotion team in a weaker league

Where are we better?

Maybe if the club goes behind Pulis' back. He was apparently hugely disappointed with the referee for the sending off. Baffling.

Not sure what is baffling about it - it was a pretty harsh decision to give the 2nd yellow.

Not sure what is baffling about it - it was a pretty harsh decision to give the 2nd yellow.

I've just watched it back a good 5-6 times. Harsh is not remotely the word I'd use. Made the most of it? Sure. United players were throwing themselves to the floor all night.

But it was late and he was nowhere near the ball. In what world are you living in where that 2nd yellow was a harsh decision?

We don't want to turn into Leeds, sacking a manager every few months... We're scoring more and conceding less than we were under Monk, but the same underlying problems of being inept against our rivals has remained, will a 3rd manager in one year resolve this? I doubt it...

We are conceding exactly the same amount of goals as we did under Monk.  There has been no improvement whatsoever in this area.  We might look more organised, we might be more defensive in our outlook but defensively we haven't improved at all.

Monk - 23 goals 23 games - 1 per game

Pulis  - 18 goals 18 games - 1 per game

Against same opposition i.e. the same teams we have faced under Monk and Pulis, the record actually favours Monk not Pulis:

Monk - 16 goals 18 games - 0.8889

Pulis  - 18 goals 18 games - 1

Goal scoring has improved under Pulis however:

Monk - 30 goals 23 games - 1.3043 per game

Pulis  - 27 goals 18 games - 1.5000 per game

Against same opposition:

Monk - 23 goals 18 games - 1.2778 per game

Pulis  - 27 goals 18 games - 1.5000 per game

Points per game is virtually identical:

Monk 35 points 23 games - 1.5217 per game

Pulis  28 points 18 games - 1.5556 per game

Monk against same teams - 27 points 18 games - 1.5000 per game

Any improvement is largely in people's heads I'm afraid.  We've scored a few more goals but not at a rate that makes any real difference to our results or the season as a whole as it stands.

Sorry but any manager needs more than 3 and a half months to build a side capable of promotion from tough Championship, especially a team in our situation and considering his negative transfer spend in January. I'm massively frustrated but I think we need to give Pulis the time and resources to build the team in the Summer. The fundamentals behind the scenes need to be far better. I'd blame the likes of Gary Gill and Steve Gibson for the situation we're in far more than Pulis who has came into this mess far later than the mess we've languished in for the past 15 months. This "sack the manager" mentality completely overlooks the real deep routed problems within our club. I have faith in the very experienced and successful Pulis in helping to address them problems and turning the club around for a new successful period for the club.

Then Monk shouldn't have been sacked as he only got 5 more games than Pulis.  By the season's end Pulis will have had 1 fewer game than Monk.  Unless we finish strongly, there's a chance we'll have been worse under Pulis than Monk.

We would be insane to give him any time to do anything here.  Unfortunately I think Gibson is either becoming increasingly desperate or increasingly daft.

After the Forest game Pulis admitted there would be losses, and yes I accept that there are twists and turns to come and still down to us though Derby will be breathing a bit easier with 2 games in hand.

I've just watched it back a good 5-6 times. Harsh is not remotely the word I'd use. Made the most of it? Sure. United players were throwing themselves to the floor all night.

But it was late and he was nowhere near the ball. In what world are you living in where that 2nd yellow was a harsh decision?

Ah, apologies - I didn't realise I was replying to Andy Hinchcliffe.

You said yourself in the above quote that he "made the most of it".  The Sheff Utd player dives over the outstretched leg of Grant and then writhes around in apparent agony, only to make a miraculous recovery once the second yellow comes out.

It isn't a clear yellow card offence, therefore in my opinion it was harsh.  In other words, I live in a world where you're talking ***.

He was still an idiot to dive in when already on a yellow.. he’s too slow to the ball these days, has been for last couple of years in all honesty.

Yeah it wasn't the brightest tackle, although he didn't have a lot of time to make a decision.  Just frustrating that the referee couldn't get the card out quickly enough.  Plus we were getting wet stood at the front of the away end lol!