oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Sheffield United (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

Don’t buy people saying we aren’t good enough, this squad is much better than our last promotion team in a weaker league

Where are we better?

Much better in goal

Ayala, Gibson and Friend all have a years perm experience

Besic much stronger than anyone we had in midfield

Traore one of the best players in this league

Bamford and Britt much better than Rhodes and Nugent

Problem is we have a much worse manager now

Much better in goal, not saying Dimi is a better keeper be he was excellent  in our promotion season.

Ayala 2 years ago was the best CB in the championship.

Clayton was arguably the best DM in the championship.

Traore good yes, Adomah was better and scored and created more goals and Ramirez was class above anything in the championship in my opinion.

Bamford and Britt better than Rhodes and Nugent, though Rhodes was prolific in the championship till we got hold of him. 

So I would have to disagree with you, the team from 2 years ago would have been challenging for the automatic spot this season in my opinion.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t buy people saying we aren’t good enough, this squad is much better than our last promotion team in a weaker league

Where are we better?

Much better in goal

Ayala, Gibson and Friend all have a years perm experience

Besic much stronger than anyone we had in midfield

Traore one of the best players in this league

Bamford and Britt much better than Rhodes and Nugent

Problem is we have a much worse manager now

Unless you base it on facts, and their respective track records, in which case we have a much better manager.

The fact is that one of them got us promoted, the other doesn't look close to doing so with a much more expensively assembled squad.

That's a pretty stupid post Will. You're better than that. (But I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse) :D

I was (fairly clearly) talking about their managerial careers to date. I don't think even you could argue that Karanka's is better.

BTW... AK didn't get us promoted in his first 'part' season, which is what Pulis has had.

And by your reckoning, is Karanka now a dog***e manager because Forest are lower in the league than when he took over? (I don't think so... but it's along the lines of your 'snapshot' post above).

dont throw the obvious stats at me ..i well know that the promotion team clearly did a lot right ,or it wouldnt have been a promotion campaign. but i genuinely think player wise, togetherness wise formation/set-up wise. entertainment wise and being at one generally with the vast majority of the fanbase,  the  season earlier squad/management/team were much better even though we unfortunately didnt get over the final hurdle against Norwich. 

MFC were imo better then than in the following season, now and at any time in between. 

players were playing to thier full potential more often than not. some above expectations, we seemed to buy into the style of football on offer even though it was essentially the same AK set up as was carried out in later years. the main reason was the players embraced it and for the most part the pieces linked together within it. 

Monk may well find a good fit with a club but it clearly didnt seem to be here , Pulis is a far better manager than Monk ever will be , BUT hes what we needed in August 2016 ,in hindsight.

I Have concerns over how HE will restructure the squad given his preferences for the type of player and style of football he favours. it doesnt sit easy with me should we ,as looks the more likely scenario, be kicking off in August as a championship club . if we somehow manage to scrape that third spot then id be reasonably confident in Pulis equiping us for a premier campaign but the consequences of allowing him to rebuild the squad for the more likely championship campaign could be a major mistake not to mention financially with another complete overhaul a year or so on.

dont throw the obvious stats at me ..i well know that the promotion team clearly did a lot right ,or it wouldnt have been a promotion campaign. but i genuinely think player wise, togetherness wise formation/set-up wise. entertainment wise and being at one generally with the vast majority of the fanbase,  the  season earlier squad/management/team were much better even though we unfortunately didnt get over the final hurdle against Norwich. 

MFC were imo better then than in the following season, now and at any time in between. 

players were playing to thier full potential more often than not. some above expectations, we seemed to buy into the style of football on offer even though it was essentially the same AK set up as was carried out in later years. the main reason was the players embraced it and for the most part the pieces linked together within it. 

Monk may well find a good fit with a club but it clearly didnt seem to be here , Pulis is a far better manager than Monk ever will be , BUT hes what we needed in August 2016 ,in hindsight.

I Have concerns over how HE will restructure the squad given his preferences for the type of player and style of football he favours. it doesnt sit easy with me should we ,as looks the more likely scenario, be kicking off in August as a championship club . if we somehow manage to scrape that third spot then id be reasonably confident in Pulis equiping us for a premier campaign but the consequences of allowing him to rebuild the squad for the more likely championship campaign could be a major mistake not to mention financially with another complete overhaul a year or so on.

Completely agree with the bit about the 14/15 season. I've said a few times on here that I'd love to have seen where that team could've gone had it been promoted. AK changed that summer after losing in the playoffs, not massively but I think his natural conservative style of football completely took over. The football we played in 14/15 was brilliant, entertaining to watch and got results. That season was just short of perfect as a fan, the team was all fightingfor each other and the badge, the connection between the team and the fans was the best I've ever witnessed and I'd guess probably the best since '86. If only.

Completely agree with the bit about the 14/15 season. I've said a few times on here that I'd love to have seen where that team could've gone had it been promoted. AK changed that summer after losing in the playoffs, not massively but I think his natural conservative style of football completely took over. The football we played in 14/15 was brilliant, entertaining to watch and got results. That season was just short of perfect as a fan, the team was all fightingfor each other and the badge, the connection between the team and the fans was the best  I've ever witnessed and I'd guess probably the best since '86. If only.

I have to agree, that really was a great season to watch the Boro - I'm a bit older so I will throw the season we had Merson and co and got us promoted but totally agree.

Completely agree with the bit about the 14/15 season. I've said a few times on here that I'd love to have seen where that team could've gone had it been promoted. AK changed that summer after losing in the playoffs, not massively but I think his natural conservative style of football completely took over. The football we played in 14/15 was brilliant, entertaining to watch and got results. That season was just short of perfect as a fan, the team was all fightingfor each other and the badge, the connection between the team and the fans was the best I've ever witnessed and I'd guess probably the best since '86. If only.

I pretty much agree with all of that too Will.

OMG!

(Although as Randy says, we've had some pretty good promotion seasons over the years. (But as non-promotion seasons go, there can't be many better than 14/15)).

Completely agree with the bit about the 14/15 season. I've said a few times on here that I'd love to have seen where that team could've gone had it been promoted. AK changed that summer after losing in the playoffs, not massively but I think his natural conservative style of football completely took over. The football we played in 14/15 was brilliant, entertaining to watch and got results. That season was just short of perfect as a fan, the team was all fightingfor each other and the badge, the connection between the team and the fans was the best  I've ever witnessed and I'd guess probably the best since '86. If only.

I pretty much agree with all of that too Will.

OMG!

(Although as Randy says, we've had some pretty good promotion seasons over the years. (But as non-promotion seasons go, there can't be many better than 14/15)).

Thats what I hoped we were going back to as our building blocks, new manager, new vibrant, young squad and build properly for the next promotion push. thats why I just can't get my head around what we have as its about as far away from what I thought was our remit as you can get.

The high and lows of BORO. we have had many opportunities to push on but the players or Pulis just don’t seem to know how to. Typical BORO always manage to implode. I made a statement at the start of the season which unfortunately was a correct assessment, although hardly accepted by many. The hype the expectations where to great for the players and manager. For all the spend BORO can’t compete in the top of the championship and would be cannon fodder in the Premier. The club is better suited in the championship because it’s where we have been for to long and we have become accustomed. The danger is if we don’t invest to remain and we drop even further.

That home display against Brentford in the play offs is something the current team and management can only dream of.