oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Bristol City 2-1 (Friend, Ayala)

great result today, still in with a chance of the playoffs.

We’ve got more than a chance. I think that performance today should be a turning point. Completely different performance than this season. Need to keep that level up.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok first of all great result i Went today and got to say i was proud of that second half performance in particular, i did think the application that has been missing recently was there from the players today which is great to see. If i have one slight criticism is that we do like to mess around at the back with the ball thats dangerous and can cost you if only one pass goes wrong and gets punished.

Until we scored i honestly thought theirs no belief in this team, what a difference when we scored all of sudden we were the ones pressing and putting them under pressure thats what i want us to do from the start but for what ever reason this squad cant do it.

Hope Bamford is ok for Saturday, i criticise Britt alot this season but i do actually think he did ok today but just doesnt fit into this team like Bamford does so i reckon we need him against derby, The other thing is I watched the derby fans boo and geer at him couple of years ago it spurred him on and he scored the winner hoping that happens again.

Great result, thought we looked poor until Friend scored and I feared for how it was gonna turn out. The goal seemed to get everyone going and we played well after that.

I thought we played with a bit more tempo and energy yesterday which seems to be missing so often.

We are still lacking creativity from open play, I think it's the same old things our only really creative player is Traore and against a better team we'll find it harder to break them down.

Saying that we've scored 4 goals from set pieces in the last week so we are finding the back of the net.

I also thought Bristol City were poor and very negative, they came here for a draw and seemed to want to shut up shop far too early in the game.

That keeps us ticking along, hopefully we can avoid defeat against Derby to keep the momentum going for the Millwall game which will be massive.

Great result yesterday, and other results going our way too.

Thought we started awfully (again) and when City scored I thought it would be a similar outcome to Sheffield Utd. But fairplay to Boro and getting the early equaliser was vital. Good set piece and well taken by Friend, loved his stupid celebration too! After that thought we controlled the game well, and I felt like we were actually pressing for the winner and putting City under pressure which I was happy with.

All in all a good result, and now onto a big game at Derby. I actually think if we turn up confident we could beat Derby. I think they’ll be under tons of pressure at home after getting beaten by Burton and the fans will be worried about them bottling it again for the millionth time in a row. If we use that uneasiness against them we could come out victorious, and that would set us up nicely for the Millwall game, which again is winnable if we turn up with the right attitude.

Wolves officially up with Fulham failing to beat Brentford

the bees continue to be a handful for anyone they play. after we drew there you'd think they were garbage. 

burton to that point proved more than derby could get there. we are grinding out points atm. beat derby and millwall we are in the playoffs. 

can we do it? yes we can!

I really enjoyed the match yesterday, I thought we played with passion and fluidity. We dominated the second half and didn’t sit back like we have done in the past, a trait that Pulis identified recently, so fair play to him for changing the players attitude.

I’m slightly concerned that we aren’t seeing enough long balls and long throws, whatever happened to the much maligned “Pulisball”? ;)

I really enjoyed the match yesterday, I thought we played with passion and fluidity. We dominated the second half and didn’t sit back like we have done in the past, a trait that Pulis identified recently, so fair play to him for changing the players attitude.

I’m slightly concerned that we aren’t seeing enough long balls and long throws, whatever happened to the much maligned “Pulisball”? ;)

We were saying the same at the match yesterday, I don't think we've ever been a long ball team under Pulis. I think we try and get the ball down and play through the pitch. Of course there's times when you are forced to go long but I don't think that's our first thought.

I think the other parts of Pulis's strategy is to play the percentages. He wants us to be hard to break down and at the other end he's made us very dangerous from set plays. I'd rather we were scoring more goals from open play but when it works I'm not going to complain.

I still think against a top quality side in the playoffs we'll come up short, but it'll be nice to have a crack at the playoffs and once you're there you never know what might happen.

Bristol were poor. Was speaking to my stepdad before the game and we were both saying Bristol are going to come to the Riverside and give it their all as they really need to get something out of the game. They did not come to do that at all, they looked completely devoid of confidence in themselves. Their goal was scrappy and came from our poor defending more than anything.

Didn't help that since their downward spiral (certainly in the time since we last played them) that they have completely abandoned the team and set up that got them to where they were in the table. Joe Bryan, someone we know all too well is a fantastic threat and easily one of if not their best player, started at right back, moved to left midfield, then to left back at different stages of the game. He was absolutely all over the place and it seemed to come from the tactical set up more than anything. I really didn't understand it. Were they trying to counter something of ours (i.e. expecting Traore to play on the left)? No idea.

To change that, they took off their goalscorer and literally the only player barring perhaps Brownhill who seemed to be causing us any problems. After that it was pretty much one way traffic. It was our game to lose points in. We very nearly did too, that Reid effort at the end was atrocious, any form striker in the league would have buried that chance, he looked a shadow of his former self throughout, no longer the man who terrorised our defence. Indeed, starting him in midfield said an awful lot about how much his season has changed since we last played them.

And here we are, sat in 5th place. People keep saying how terrible we have been and how we don't deserve to be in the play off spots, not realising that the teams that aren't in those spots are just as, if not more terrible than we are. Bristol showed that to us yesterday. A team worthy of promotion we are not, but we are where we are because throughout the whole season so far, we have been the best of a bad bunch.

I really enjoyed the match yesterday, I thought we played with passion and fluidity. We dominated the second half and didn’t sit back like we have done in the past, a trait that Pulis identified recently, so fair play to him  for changing the players attitude.

We were saying the same at the match yesterday, I don't think we've ever been a long ball team under Pulis. I think we try and get the ball down and play through the pitch. Of course there's times when you are forced to go long but I don't think that's our first thought.

I think our long passes went up by about 10% at one point after he took over, which I believe was well above the league average so we absolutely were a long ball team.  I haven't been checking lately but I'd imagine it hasn't changed that much.  However with no Gestede available for a while and our tactic of get it to Traore it's possible it's lowered again.  Yesterday was slightly different because they sat back for whatever reason and we dominated possession, which makes a bit of a change as we usually don't do that.  In those circumstances you're likely to play fewer long balls, it just stands to reason.

I really enjoyed the match yesterday, I thought we played with passion and fluidity. We dominated the second half and didn’t sit back like we have done in the past, a trait that Pulis identified recently, so fair play to him  for changing the players attitude.

I think our long passes went up by about 10% at one point after he took over, which I believe was well above the league average so we absolutely were a long ball team.  I haven't been checking lately but I'd imagine it hasn't changed that much.  However with no Gestede available for a while and our tactic of get it to Traore it's possible it's lowered again.  Yesterday was slightly different because they sat back for whatever reason and we dominated possession, which makes a bit of a change as we usually don't do that.  In those circumstances you're likely to play fewer long balls, it just stands to reason.

I don't really care about long ball stats too much, unless we're gonna sit down and disect every pass this season what's the point.

Pulis's football isn't the most attractive on the planet I think we're in agreement there. However it's not just route 1 stuff either, I've watched enough of us this season to know we do a bit of both.

I don't really care about long ball stats too much, unless we're gonna sit down and disect every pass this season what's the point.  

Pulis's football isn't the most attractive on the planet I think we're in agreement there. However it's not just route 1 stuff either, I've watched enough of us this season to know we do a bit of both.

We're definitely not this - stats show otherwise - I don't care about stats.  Brilliant  :funny:  

Its more route one stuff than most and if you've watched us enough this season as you say then you'll know that.  Losing Gestede has probably changed it a bit but we've still seen balls being punted up to Bamford stood on his own often enough as well.  Yesterday was different as I said because they sat back and we dominated possession.  In those circumstances you're not as likely to play as many long balls / passes and quite frankly with Bamford and then Asssombalonga up front we shouldn't really be doing it much anyway.  It doesn't automatically follow that because we do it then that's all we do and I've certainly never said that.  We've got some decent footballers who are capable of playing some decent football.  However, in percentage terms we are a more direct side now, it's just how it is.

But I reckon you should try this with the Football League and see if they'll move us up to first place, just claim that you've watched us enough to know that we're the best team in the league and see if it works  :idea: There's a pint in it for you if you can manage it. :D

We're definitely not this - stats show otherwise - I don't care about stats.  Brilliant  :funny:  

Its more route one stuff than most and if you've watched us enough this season as you say then you'll know that.  Losing Gestede has probably changed it a bit but we've still seen balls being punted up to Bamford stood on his own often enough as well.  Yesterday was different as I said because they sat back and we dominated possession.  In those circumstances you're not as likely to play as many long balls / passes and quite frankly with Bamford and then Asssombalonga up front we shouldn't really be doing it much anyway.  It doesn't automatically follow that because we do it then that's all we do and I've certainly never said that.  We've got some decent footballers who are capable of playing some decent football.  However, in percentage terms we are a more direct side now, it's just how it is.

But I reckon you should try this with the Football League and see if they'll move us up to first place, just claim that you've watched us enough to know that we're the best team in the league and see if it works  :idea: There's a pint in it for you if you can manage it. :D

I was expecting a clever response, see the thing with stats is they don't always paint the whole picture.

What constitutes a long pass? Is it a ball over 20 yards/ 30 yards/40 yards? Does it have to be a completed pass or a pass into space? You could go on all day.

I regularly see Downing hit 40 yard cross field passes to Traore, is that long ball football? How does that fit into your stats?

I don't think it's coached into our defenders that the first thing they should look to do is hit a long pass into the striker. For me that's a 'long ball team'. If you have a different criteria for What constitutes a long ball team then fine we'll have to agree to disagree.

My original post was in response to the stupid Pulisball tag. I remember Bournemouth playing a lot of long balls into channels for Callum Wilson in the championship. Was that Pulisball? I dont actually know what Pulisball is can someone tell me!

Is it long balls from the keeper to the centre forward? Is it just 'give it to Traore'? I'm confused by the tag.

Maybe I should ring the league up and ask them to give out points for the: 'completed, accurate, forward passes within 10 yards into a dangerous area' stats and keep you happy!

I was expecting a clever response, see the thing with stats is they don't always paint the whole picture.

What constitutes a long pass? Is it a ball over 20 yards/ 30 yards/40 yards? Does it have to be a completed pass or a pass into space? You could go on all day.

I don't think it's coached into our defenders that the first thing they should look to do is hit a long pass into the striker. For me that's a 'long ball team'. If you have a different criteria for What constitutes a long ball team then fine we'll have to agree to disagree.

My original post was in response to the stupid Pulisball tag. I remember Bournemouth playing a lot of long balls into channels for Callum Wilson in the championship. Was that Pulisball? I dont actually know what Pulisball is can someone tell me!

Is it long balls from the keeper to the centre forward? Is it just 'give it to Traore'? I'm confused by the tag.

Maybe I should ring the league up and ask them to give out points for the: 'completed, accurate, forward passes within 10 yards into a dangerous area' stats and keep you happy!

Of course you were expecting a clever response, all of my posts are clever  ;)

Stats don't always paint the whole picture.  This is the kind of thing that people tend to come out with when they've got absolutely nothing to back up an opinion but refuse point blank to accept that something else might be the case.

You're trying to argue semantics whereas I'm trying to argue facts.  The stats are collated in the same way as they were when Monk was the manager, using the same criteria. The facts are that following Pulis becoming our manager, the amount of long balls / passes we played per game rose significantly.  Even if I couldn't see those stats, I could watch us playing and see it in action.  If I'm not mistaken the number of passes we make has decreased as well.  So, fewer passes overall and a greater number of long passes, what do you think that means?

Your last point really doesn't make any sense.  You're the one trying to claim something isn't true when it is.  I wasn't arguing about the aesthetics of it all.  I'm just pointing out that we are a more direct team under Pulis, even if we weren't so much yesterday.  Whether that's a good or bad thing is a different discussion entirely.

Of course you were expecting a clever response, all of my posts are clever  ;)

Stats don't always paint the whole picture.  This is the kind of thing that people tend to come out with when they've got absolutely nothing to back up an opinion but refuse point blank to accept that something else might be the case.

You're trying to argue semantics whereas I'm trying to argue facts.  The stats are collated in the same way as they were when Monk was the manager, using the same criteria. The facts are that following Pulis becoming our manager, the amount of long balls / passes we played per game rose significantly.  Even if I couldn't see those stats, I could watch us playing and see it in action.  If I'm not mistaken the number of passes we make has decreased as well.  So, fewer passes overall and a greater number of long passes, what do you think that means?

Your last point really doesn't make any sense.  You're the one trying to claim something isn't true when it is.  I wasn't arguing about the aesthetics of it all.  I'm just pointing out that we are a more direct team under Pulis, even if we weren't so much yesterday.  Whether that's a good or bad thing is a different discussion entirely.

The stats that you are quoting tells us that we play more long passes than we did under Monk and you've taken that as we are now a long ball team.

You seem to be suggesting that I'm refusing to listen to stats and have nothing to back my opinion up, I have made a few points so I don't know why you think that.

You still haven't told me what constitutes a long pass, where does the long cross field pass to Traore fit into the stats? How come we are getting so much out of Traore if we are a long ball team surely a pacy winger wouldn't fit into a long ball team would he?

If you are telling me we make more long passes than other teams then I'll take your word for it. All I'm saying is that we do both, we're not just a team that throws it long all the time.

The stats that you are quoting tells us that we play more long passes than we did under Monk and you've taken that as we are now a long ball team.

You seem to be suggesting that I'm refusing to listen to stats and have nothing to back my opinion up, I have made a few points so I don't know why you think that.

You still haven't told me what constitutes a long pass, where does the long cross field pass to Traore fit into the stats? How come we are getting so much out of Traore if we are a long ball team surely a pact winger wouldn't fit into a long ball team would he?

If you are telling me we make more long passes than other teams then I'll take your word for it. All I'm saying is that we do both, we're not just a team that throws it long all the time.

In my first reply I said that our long passes/balls had gone up by a certain percentage and that I believed this was well above the league average.  I thought that was fairly clear but you replied by saying you didn't care about stats.  I mentioned Monk by way of a comparison between the last two managers and the collection of the data i.e. that we became a more direct side following Pulis becoming our manager.

I don't know what constitutes a long pass because I don't collect the data.  I'm not sure why it's relevant in the sense that the same criteria was used at the start of the season and is used for other teams.  If it shows more long passes then we're making more long passes! 

Why do you keep mentioning Traore as though him being in the side couldn't possibly make us direct?  If it helps then how about we say that we've had two basic ways of playing, one direct and one getting the ball to Traore and hoping he makes something happen?.  I think that's a bit too simplistic myself but there's an explanation for you if you really need it.

Finally and again, I never said we go long all the time.  I didn't say it earlier and I haven't said it before either.  You said 'I don't think we've ever been a long ball team under Pulis' and this is what I was replying to earlier.  The stats show otherwise and my eyes tell me otherwise and that's the point I made to you when you decided that you don't care about stats.