oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Derby County (A) 2-1 (Besic, Assombalonga)

Good performance Boro. Sounds like we bossed the game in a manner we all hoped but didn't expect. Let's hope we can maintain Millwall's misery next week :)

Now, when I get back to work I am hoping to bump into the Derby supporting duty manager who gave me so much grief late last year :):)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we don’t go up to the prem, with Newcastle in the Prem, us in the championship and Sunderland in Div 1, does anyone know when we had a season without a north east Derby, I can’t think of one must have been yonks ago, over to you stat geeks as I can’t be ***d to try and find out

1987/88 season

Still not convinced by Pulis but we look to be coming into some brilliant form at just the right time. Dont fancy us to beat Villa or Fulham but we are finally starting to see some improvement.

Also that makes 4 assists in two games for Traore now, and 5 goals 10 assists on the season.

5 goals and 8 assists in the 22 games he's played for Tony Pulis.

What an up turn in form that is.

I think what's been good has been two things.  The first is that he's making fewer daft decisions and the second is things like today where he's just making sure the ball gets into an area where we can challenge for it.  He's not just whipping a cross in, he's getting his head up and putting the ball where we can try and do some damage.  If that's down to him simply maturing a bit then fair play but if it's down to Pulis getting through to him then fair play to Pulis.  One thing's for certain, Traore has done his bit this season and whatever happens he can hold his head up high.

Still not convinced by Pulis but we look to be coming into some brilliant form at just the right time. Dont fancy us to beat Villa or Fulham but we are finally starting to see some improvement.

Well we'll see but, and I can't believe it's me saying it, I think people are being a little to pessimistic about our chances.  Assuming we finish 5th then the two teams above us will be disappointed at having missed out on automatic promotion.  Unless we're crap in the next two games then we'll go into it feeling pretty good.  Pressure does funny things to people, it might not be about who the best team is but who handles the situation better.

Well we'll see but, and I can't believe it's me saying it, I think people are being a little to pessimistic about our chances.  Assuming we finish 5th then the two teams above us will be disappointed at having missed out on automatic promotion.  Unless we're crap in the next two games then we'll go into it feeling pretty good.  Pressure does funny things to people, it might not be about who the best team is but who handles the situation better.

And I am one a committed pessimist. However, week by week we seem to be improving. Maybe we have left it too late but we are adopting a winning attitude.

Given the turnover in management this season, we should be fortunate to be in the playoffs at all. Automatic was never on the cards once Wolves kicked into overdrive. We were never gonna go on a Fulham-type run.

I think what is interesting about this season, is that we've only lost one game by more than a single goal this season. (Ironically which was against Derby.)

Should be interesting if we beat Millwall next week. I personally feel that Fulham and Aston Villa will have more to lose than we do.

Great result yesterday and a decent performance to go with it. Hopefully we can finish the season strongly and go into the playoffs with some momentum.

If we end up playing Villa over two legs in the playoffs I think we'll be the underdogs but I don't think we need to fear them either. I've watched Villa a few times this season and they can blow hot or cold.

I'd be less confident if we had to play Fulham at Wembley but in a one off game anything can happen. A bad 15 minute spell in a playoff game can end your season and sometimes a bit of luck can be the difference.

Went yesterday sat in the derby end, very pleased with the 3 points i was nervous going into the game but was far from happy with that last 15 mins....

Derby fans had turned against them after our first goal never mind the second, the derby players looked shot of confidence and beat. If wed of kept going in them last 15 mins, I guarantee wed of got a third but no we sodding mess around with it at the back and kept booting it into their half with nobody near it. Why does Pulis do this makes it nervy again by making it clear we have to defend on mass and then give away a plenty because of it. Look i really dont want to moan about this but it got to me, that we let them back in the game by our own stupidity.

On a lighter note we got the three points which was massive with Millwall losing as well means that our destiny is well in truly in our hands now. I thought in terms of the game the desire to win was great and refreshing to see but I did think there was a lack of real quality from both Derby and us even if we both get into the playoffs i cant see us beating Villa or Fulham they are just on another level.

Btw Gibson and Ayala were immense yesterday, I am glad Pulis has got them working together well again that for me has been the difference between Pulis and Monk.

Anyway top day out, Boro fans in the away were loud and stuck with the team unlike the derby fans when we got on top, which always helps (credit to the ones that went) and the curry was fantastic again from the Viceroy.

I'm buzzing, I'm so proud of the lads. We're building at the business end of the season for once. Can't wait for next Sat. :D

Yes, we seem to be building up steam again at the business end of the season. Bodes well for the play offs should we get there which is looking increasingly likely.

Fair play to TP - I've made no secret of the fact I don't have 100% faith in him at this level, but for the most part recent form cannot be questioned. Performance wise there's a few elements I'm frustrated at / concerned about, but so long as we get 3 points that's the most important aspect of the game.

I said before that if we go up I can take think of a better manager than Pulis to keep us up there, and I thoroughly believe that if we won the play offs we'd be playing Premiership football in the 19/20 season as well. Still concerns about our performance against the top teams, but the Play Offs are an absolute lottery - its whoever turns up on the day.

Praying that it's Fulham who grab that 2nd automatic promotion spot... They're looking unstoppable at the minute.

Fair play to TP - I've made no secret of the fact I don't have 100% faith in him at this level, but for the most part recent form cannot be questioned. Performance wise there's a few elements I'm frustrated at / concerned about, but so long as we get 3 points that's the most important aspect of the game.

I said before that if we go up I can take think of a better manager than Pulis to keep us up there, and I thoroughly believe that if we won the play offs we'd be playing Premiership football in the 19/20 season as well. Still concerns about our performance against the top teams, but the Play Offs are an absolute lottery - its whoever turns up on the day.

Praying that it's Fulham who grab that 2nd automatic promotion spot... They're looking unstoppable at the minute.

Can you realistically see Cardiff slipping up now? I think they're almost there after last night.

Don’t know if anyone else noticed for the 2nd goal but traore actually pointed where he was running to for the pass to be played through rather than standing and watching. Must be worth at least £50m now he’s added the ability to move off the ball to his repertoire! :)

I don’t really care about potentially facing Fulham in a final. Anything can happen there. I’d like to avoid them in the semi though as they will likely get an away goal. We need to make sure we come fifth.