oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Ipswich (A) 2-2 (Downing, Bamford)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Post, mate!

I expect you to do at least 4 more posts on this heater you are on! ;)

Nice idea with the IMDB set up :D

I wouldn't rest players that much .. Start with the strongest 11 and then after 65 mins sub Besic, Adama and swab Brit/bamford depending on who starts. WOuld love to see Harrison come on. He "could come in useful in the play offs!

Same team and we go again, try to keep the momentum going into the playoffs, plenty of time between games to be worried about resting players for me... pressures off on this game so hopefully we can see a bit of expression from the players!

Nice Post, mate!

I expect you to do at least 4 more posts on this heater you are on! ;)

Nice idea with the IMDB set up :D

I wouldn't rest players that much .. Start with the strongest 11 and then after 65 mins sub Besic, Adama and swab Brit/bamford depending on who starts. WOuld love to see Harrison come on. He "could come in useful in the play offs!

"...and swab Brit/bamford depending on who starts."

You mean, like drug testing??

I like the title The most underwhelming game of the season ha! but is it really?

Not for me this has to be a must not lose game and preferably a must win game.

I much prefer to face Villa in the play-off's over two legs far better chance of getting to Wembley I believe.

Besides a few of us from the forum are going to the match and if anyone else is going and not declared it we will be meeting at The Riverside pub (opposite Ipswich Railway Station) and parking available and only 5 mins from the ground

I appreciate a good few OB chaps and chapesses are going but I fail to see the point in risking crucial players (Besic / Adama / Britt / Paddy / Stewey) for what is now a fairly meaningless game.

Massive massive massive thank you to Ethers who bought me my ticket for this game. Gonna really enjoy my birthday regardless of result, knowing that we're in the playoffs.

*Disclaimer to MFC - if you lose on my birthday I will hunt you all down and I will cry angrily.

Momentum is really important going into the play offs so I would want the best team to start and us treat it as any other game. Maybe take Adama off at the 60 minute mark, but a crappy result could take the wind out of our sails at a crucial moment.

i reckon we should give stewy a rest, hes getting on a bit. rest him give harrsion a game. play adama for second half fabio first half at right wing. give leadboots a run out and switch one of others so only one of the best trio plays a full game. play cranie shotton tucking in give the big man a rest.

this way we rest up ayala and downing fully. paddy and britt dont play a full game, adama gets a bit of a rest. the best three cm's only clayton plays full game which isnt a problem. fabio gets more game time and we still have quite a strong team out all game.

randolph

cranie shotton gibbo friend

------------clayton

-------leadboots besic

fabio--------------------harrison

-------------paddy

subs:

60min howson for besic, adama for fabio

70min switch strikers

I'd be surprised if Pulis made more than 3 or 4 changes. Traore and Besic, I think, will probably be rested.

------------------------Randolph------------------------

Crainie-------Ayala---------Gibson-------Friend

--------Howson----Clayton----Leadbitter--------

Fabio----------------------------------------Harrison

--------------------Assombalonga------------------------

I'd rest Ayala, Besic and Traore because I think they're our most important players on current form.

I'd probably keep the same team apart from that.

It would be interesting to know Pulis' true feelings on which of Aston Villa, Cardiff of Fulham that he'd rather face in the semi-finals. He will never publicly say he doesn't want or would prefer a certain team though so we can only speculate. On first glance Fulham seem the team to be avoided as they're the most in form team and play the most attractive football, yet, for me at least, they have the most obvious weaknesses that could suit out counter-attacking style and huge set pieces advantage so I'm not too sure. Their CB Odoi is very small - he got bullied by Ashley Fletcher in the air just last game, they don't not much height for defending or attacking set pieces, their fullbacks bomb forward so will leave gaps and they've historically got a terrible record in the play offs. If Pulis would rather us face Fulham or Cardiff than Aston Villa then he probably wouldn't mind resting players against Ipswich and be pretty happy if we get Fulham. Karanka purposely didn't get us to push for the winner against Brighton at the end of the 2014/15 season as he seemed to prefer the 4th spot which would get us Brentford instead of Ipswich, who we would have had to face if we got a winner. In this division effective anti-football seems to work best against the most attractive footballing sides as they take the risks. There's sure to be some strategy going on with how we play the game if he would rather avoid Aston Villa.

For all Fulham's plaudits, they have only won once more than Villa and scored six more goals. Either would be very tough over two legs and I'm not sure there is a massive amount in it...

One thing to take into account is that 40,000 home fans in Villa Park will be a much more hostile second leg than Craven Cottage where we can bring 5,000 away fans and dominate the tepid home support. It can be a factor for players on big occasions.