oneBoro Forum

Boro v Aston Villa - Playoff Semi Final (First Leg) 0-1

middlesbrough-villa.jpg

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa

Saturday, May 12th. 1715 Hours

Riverside Stadium

The Form

Boro salvaged an injury time 2-2 draw against Ipswich in the last game to finish 5th and avoid Fulham in the playoffs, and so now Aston Villa stand in our way of a Wembley spot. Stewart Downing pulled us level in the 71st minute after Ipswich led early on through Sears, but it looked to be a poor day for Boro when Waghorn scored from the spot in the 83rd minute. Thankfully Paddy B scored after 96 minutes to leave Boro unbeaten in 4 after 3 wins in a row.

Villa ended the season with a 1-0 loss away to Millwall, despite having the lion's share of the possession. Villa made changes for the trip to The Den and unsurprisingly lacked cohesion. It is worth noting, however, that they did beat a 10 man Ipswich team 4-0 in their a few games ago, for a bit of comparison.

The Line Up

24xjkso.png

The World According To Pulis

To be updated once the press conference has been done

The View From The Otherside

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm going to make this my first ever Boro game(born and raised in Manchester but a lifelong Boro fan, don't ask :)) and so was wondering which stand I'd be best getting a ticket for.

I'll be coming on my own(as you can imagine, not too many Boro fans in Manchester) and just want to enjoy the atmosphere as best as possible.

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm going to make this my first ever Boro game(born and raised in Manchester but a lifelong Boro fan, don't ask :)) and so was wondering which stand I'd be best getting a ticket for.

I'll be coming on my own(as you can imagine, not too many Boro fans in Manchester) and just want to enjoy the atmosphere as best as possible.

South stand is the place to be for atmosphere if you can find a seat. The whole ground should be bouncing on Saturday though.

South stand is the place to be for atmosphere if you can find a seat. The whole ground should be bouncing on Saturday though.

Nice one pal, going to see if they have anything left.

I don't think Britt did himself a disservice at the weekend. The only difficulty in my eyes comes because Paddy scored the goal but it wasn't a typical Paddy goal, it was a header from a set-piece.

I'd probably stick with Britt, myself. Wouldn't be disappointed either way.

the ref for the home leg is andrew madley, but the really amazing news is the away leg we've got riverside mike dean so we've pretty much won lads.

I'm pretty sure the home leg is Bobby Madley, Andrews brother.

Yes it's Bobby Madley, the Premier League ref. Andrew normally refs no higher than Championship level.

Any idea if this is sold out yet? Haven't seen anything from the club's social media, but my dad said about an hour ago that his colleague rang up and was told it was.

There's a few lads I used to meet up with down here to watch the games and chat Boro but that seemed to fizzle out a little bit (quite a few of them moved back to Middlesbrough after a few years working here). 

I've just bought an apartment in Ancoats, if we make Wembley I'll be heading down from Manchester (similarly getting the megabus up for the playoff leg in South Stand). 

Could be worth a post in here to see how many Boro fans there are dotted around Greater Manchester (seen quite a few footie tops in and about) so you aren't going it alone!

tbf i sit in the North stand 9 times out 10 pretty decent in terms of noise, east and west are usually silent or very quite.

First leg of the playoffs is always a bit of a weird one, especially when the second leg your playing away. Even a 1-0, or 2-1 win wouldn’t really put me at ease going to Villa Park. Just hoping we don’t get beat, and we’re still in with a chance on Tuesday!