oneBoro Forum

Boro v Aston Villa - Playoff Semi Final (Second Leg) 0-0 (0-1 agg)

Pulis first game was against Villa .. I hope his last was too!

If the showing over the last 2 games is the best he can organise, then he needs to go. He can take Friend, Downing, Johnson, Gestede, Clayton, Leadbitter, Howson, Besic, and a few others with him. How many games have there been this season, when we havent had a bloody shot. How does he expect to win games like that.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Also, seeing people saying keeper should have been sent off? Even the co-commentator seemed to think that was the case. My understanding is it's dealt with like a 'last man' foul. Johnstone wasn't the last man, there were 2 defenders covering behind him. Have certainly seen that given as a yellow before.

How were the defenders covering behind him? The shot has already been taken, to say they were covering and therefore it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity (shot going into open goal can't really be anything else) you'd have to say that Terry would DEFINITELY stop the shot, which I'm confident he wouldn't have done.

It's a clear red, if you can find one example of the same situation ending with a yellow I'd be very surprised, every single time I've seen a keeper stop a ball going towards his goal outside the box it's been a red.

We need to give Pulis the backing he deserves this summer and let him put his own squad together.

Are you feeling ok?

Watching it back, maybe not. I don't think it's certain either way though.

Not that it would made much of a difference anyway. Don't understand getting that peeved about it tbh. Johnstone caught a couple of crosses and other than that had nothing to do.

Better defence won, simple logic, two managers who don’t go hung ho, one goal would have made the difference for both teams, fine margins, tight game but on their clear cut chances they probably deserved to win, was looking forward to Wembley but hay ho, more games in the Championship and not any poor games, see you next season UTB

My Villa supporting friends cannot believe how easy that was for them, they expected a rip roaring one off cup tie and got a team seemingly happy to settle nil nil. There has to be big clear out this summer, but where we go exactly depends on whether Pulis stays I guess

I was Pulis’ biggest critic when he came in, still am. But I don’t blame this playoff performance on him. We have a massive lack of quality at the club. Downing is rubbish but we’ve got nothing else. Howson is non existent most games but we have nothing else. We have nothing going forward bar Traore so it’s very easy for teams to triple mark Traore and completely nullify our team.

Pulis is too negative but that isn’t why we aren’t in the playoff final. A total lack of quality is.

We need so many players this summer.

A left winger

A right winger (if Traore goes)

2 centre midfielders

A right back

A centre back (if Gibson goes)

The only players I would want to keep are Randolph, Gibson, Bamford and Traore and 2 of those will be off. Clayton, Friend and Ayala will do the job at this level. But the rest aren’t good enough!

I agree, major overhaul is needed.

A left winger

A right winger (if Traore goes)

2 centre midfielders

A right back

A centre back (if Gibson goes)

A left Back.

A back up keeper.

A striker as well.

It will be a busy 11 weeks.

Also, seeing people saying keeper should have been sent off? Even the co-commentator seemed to think that was the case. My understanding is it's dealt with like a 'last man' foul. Johnstone wasn't the last man, there were 2 defenders covering behind him. Have certainly seen that given as a yellow before.

How were the defenders covering behind him? The shot has already been taken, to say they were covering and therefore it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity (shot going into open goal can't really be anything else) you'd have to say that Terry would DEFINITELY stop the shot, which I'm confident he wouldn't have done.

It's a clear red, if you can find one example of the same situation ending with a yellow I'd be very surprised, every single time I've seen a keeper stop a ball going towards his goal outside the box it's been a red.

While you are completely correct it wouldnt have mattered. Could you see us taking any shots on goal or doing any different? Villa would have sat back even further and we would have idly passed it from side to side until the final whistle.

I don't blame Pulis today, I think if we'd really opened up we'd have lost. As soon as the game opened up slightly in the second half Villa started to look like scoring.

I can understand people being frustrated but if we'd have made it an open game I think we'd have been well beat. No one would be praising Pulis if we'd played 442 today and lost 3-0.

At the end of the day we got into the final third on occasions and had no creativity once we got there. That's why we've come up short.

Genuinely in awe of the fact that we did not have a shot on target. Can't wait to see how Pulis defends his gutless tactics.

He will be happy with a point. Surely he can’t have realized that it was a playoff game.

I can't even fathom why we play the way we play...... 

We had a 2 man midfield in the 1st half .... Howson was off the field taking a leak or having a pie....cause he didn't touch the ball in the 1st 45 mins...let alone influence anything. TP's use of Howson as an Invisible Faux No. 10 is desperately sad considering he did the same thing with James Morrison in West Brom 2 sodden years ago. Lets stop this old war horse nonsense, If Football in the top flight has taught us anything this year its that dinosaurs dont belong in this era of football.... give a young hungry attacking coach his break atleast He wouldn't wait 80 plus mins to try and change the game in a must win play-off semi final where we didnt have ONE shot on target ......... damn this is getting awfully sad. 

I miss TM atleast those 1st half of the seasons were bloody sweet to watch, atleast TM played football......all be it with the budget of a non-league team. Imagine when all them lads at Swansea's forum said Monk was awful we hoped they were just bitter, 40 plus million later we realized they were right all along.... We deserve so much more....yet we seem content in shooting our foot off everytime we start a sprint.    

Oh well Next year Lads !!! Lets Smash the League!

could easily gone our way this night too

Their keeper sent off, Downing scores on the freekick. Then its extra time with us playing with an extra man. In extra time that is an bigger advantage I think,

Small margins. Their early goal at Riverside was crucial for the match serie.

While you are completely correct it wouldnt have mattered. Could you see us taking any shots on goal or doing any different? Villa would have sat back even further and we would have idly passed it from side to side until the final whistle.

We wouldn't have gone through, we were too negative and didn't deserve it. It's still very annoying that their keeper got away with blatant cheating.