oneBoro Forum

Boro v Aston Villa - Playoff Semi Final (Second Leg) 0-0 (0-1 agg)

I don't blame Pulis today, I think if we'd really opened up we'd have lost. As soon as the game opened up slightly in the second half Villa started to look like scoring.

I can understand people being frustrated but if we'd have made it an open game I think we'd have been well beat. No one would be praising Pulis if we'd played 442 today and lost 3-0.

At the end of the day we got into the final third on occasions and had no creativity once we got there. That's why we've come up short.

No if wed have gone for it with a positive line up and went for villa from the start id of accepted a defeat even if was heavy, going out without trying to attack i cannot accept.

You would have been in the minority then

If Fulham had done what we did tonight the Fulham fans would boo. Fulham team go with the intention of killing teams by outscoring them, we use to do that years ago but ever since karanka our fans will accept losing 1-0 as long as its tight and we get maybe one shot on target.

No one is accepting losing 1-0, but we've built a squad over the last 3 years with no creativity whatsoever. We say the same every transfer window about the type of players we need and it doesn't get addressed.

Blame Pulis for that if you want but here tonight at Villa Park I don't think there was much different we could have to get a result. Of course we could have had a more positive line up and by doing that you weaken another area of the pitch.

I think sometimes some fans think more strikers = more chance of winning a game. It's not that simple.

I would rather we attacked and created loads of chances tonight but which players in our squad were capable of creating a bit of magic in the final third? The answer is we don't have them.

We lost narrowly against a better team it's that simple.

I'll say the same thing again, I've never seen a Boro manager get praised for his tactics when we've been hammered. Positive line up or not.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

The thing is...and you don't have to be a Pep or a Jose.....when you're 1-0 down in a second leg which you need to win....you have to roll the dice and be bold..with 10 minutes left I'd have expected everything to have been thrown forward in an attempt to get something. As a few have already said, did Pulis get that this wasn't a league game???

The fact he thinks that we played okay is the most worrying part. If he came out and said he got it wrong and were poor then I'd feel a lot more reassured.

This guy thinks 1 shot on target chasing a one off do or die game is acceptable and is about to be in charge of our last transfer window with parachute money. Terrifying.

I don't blame Pulis today, I think if we'd really opened up we'd have lost. As soon as the game opened up slightly in the second half Villa started to look like scoring.

I can understand people being frustrated but if we'd have made it an open game I think we'd have been well beat. No one would be praising Pulis if we'd played 442 today and lost 3-0.

At the end of the day we got into the final third on occasions and had no creativity once we got there. That's why we've come up short.

Problem is mate, he didn't do that. Some of the comments on here and on social media when the team was announced had thrown him under a bus before we'd even kicked off. The end result is their justification for that and he's not going to get away from that. He's in for one hell of a long summer, especially after that post-match interview where he's seen a different game to the rest of us.

I agreed with his line-up but the changes weren't right, the tactics didn't adapt to the situation, it was same thing over and over again. He hasn't held his hands up and accepted that which is my main concern.

I'm not going to call for his head. But if we stick with him, we have to give him a squad he feels he can use and get the best out of. I don't think this is it.

Fair enough I wouldn't disagree with that. We can all suggest different tactics sat at home I just don't think it would have made a difference.

Lets just be honest... we were second best, across both legs. Against the second best team in the play-offs.

It's ones of those situations where we had the best suited manager to keep us in the Prem of all the Play-Off sides, but we won't be in the Prem.

Will next season be an improvement? Time will tell. Personally can't see anything other than challenging for Top 6, but we shall see.

Monk certainly wasn't praised for his tactics that left our fullbacks way out of position.

The mental frailties came back in the last 2 games, our players wilted from the occasion of a big game. You look at the attacking quality of Villa's midfield 5 vs our midfield 5, they have 4 midfielders capable of changing a game we have 1... Seriously needs to be addressed in this window!

Watching it back, maybe not. I don't think it's certain either way though.

Not that it would made much of a difference anyway. Don't understand getting that peeved about it tbh. Johnstone caught a couple of crosses and other than that had nothing to do.

Not that it would make much difference anyway? It would have been 1-0 to us and it would have levelled the tie?

Lets just be honest... we were second best, across both legs. Against the second best team in the play-offs.

It's ones of those situations where we had the best suited manager to keep us in the Prem of all the Play-Off sides, but we won't be in the Prem.

Will next season be an improvement? Time will tell. Personally can't see anything other than challenging for Top 6, but we shall see.

The best we can hope for under Pulis is to do what Cardiff did this season. They had a similar type manager who ground results out.

It won't be pretty that's for sure. It all depends on the teams coming down if they appoint good managers and buy well then the playoffs will be our best bet I would imagine.

Monk certainly wasn't praised for his tactics that left our fullbacks way out of position.

The mental frailties came back in the last 2 games, our players wilted from the occasion of a big game. You look at the attacking quality of Villa's midfield 5 vs our midfield 5, they have 4 midfielders capable of changing a game we have 1... Seriously needs to be addressed in this window!

Going by the past many windows I doubt we have identified pace and creativity as something we need to improve. If it Pulis in charge it will be more player like downing, Shotton and Gestede.

More players like Downing Shotton and Gestede, now I am seriously depressed Borodane and am leaving the pub to go home to bed, or as Hoyte put it The Pit of Misery

In some ways i am kind of glad i couldn't get a ticket for tonight because i would have been fuming at that performance and probably got myself arrested. It was almost as if they learned nothing from the first game and went with the same predictable tactics. So much possession but not a clue what to do with it. Should the keeper have been sent off. Absolutely. The ball was goal bound and i am sure under those circumstances it only matters whether the referee thinks it was deliberate or not, which of course it was. Would it have made a difference, yes of course it would. They would have been down to ten men and panic stations would almost certainly have set in. Would we have taken advantage of it. MMmm maybe but there wasn't a lot of time left and the previous 85 mins or so would hardly make an equalizer look likely. Apart from Downings free kick, to not have a shot on target in such a big game is unforgivable.

Going by the past many windows I doubt we have identified pace and creativity as something we need to improve. If it Pulis in charge it will be more player like downing, Shotton and Gestede.

He tried to sign Mitrovic and bought in Besic, Cranie and Harrison... 3 young, exciting and dynamic players out of 4.

Not sure why people are whining on. Do they really think 23 teams next year are gonna park the bus. Let alone park the bus as well as villa did?

They got through by the skin of their teeth. This was proven by the fact it took until the 93rd minute before Villa started singing.

Adama was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity by clear cheating. It might be an accident. But a red is a red. Terry was never going to get to it and I don't even think that matters.

The bus was parked for well over 150 minutes in this tie. Pathetic. and Fulham will trounce them in the final based on what I've seen of these two games.

Thought of at least another season with Pulis and his players is such a gutting thought. We are that team that opposition fans are glad they don’t have to watch every week.

Looking any interest in watching Boro at the moment, football is meant to be exciting and enjoyable. Everything that a Pulis team isn’t