oneBoro Forum

Boro v Aston Villa - Playoff Semi Final (Second Leg) 0-0 (0-1 agg)

Morning after the event and I have to say even more annoyed about the attitude shown by our players in terms of effort.

Was getting quite pleased with Besic lately but non-existent like others very poor over the last two games but no surprise really if he has to have his name tattooed on his own neck. He obviously needs a reminder about who he is so forgetting about being a footballer should not be a surprise!

I said on the other thread I don't think we lacked effort I just don't think we were good enough.

Besic has been in great form recently but I said a few weeks ago that I don't think he's a Premier league player when we talking about him potentially playing there next season.

There's a difference between looking good against Millwall when he's got acres of space to run into and yesterday where he's playing a team who are much better and give him less room to play.

I wonder whether the likes of him and Traore were maybe trying a bit too hard in both ties.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I feel that Besic ran out of steam. He's not had a run of games like the one he's just had for 3/4 years. It takes its toll.

He's an all action never stop running type player. The last 2/3 games he looks like he's dropped a level, I suspect mostly energy levels.

Certainly I have accepted that at this time we are a decent Championship side and nothing more.

What ever happens over the next few weeks will be interesting and will determine whether not we can actually step up, let's be honest we really showed we were not a PL team last season and this season confirmed that we are not yet ready.

Another season of the likes of Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, Downing being in the team will not boost hopes up

Read an apt description this morning about our tie; watching Boro vs. Villa over two legs was like watching two orks bashing their heads together for 180 minutes.

That was a pretty accurate description of how the two managers sets their team up and if Ork Pulis stays it'll be something we have to get used to.

Certainly I have accepted that at this time we are a decent Championship side and nothing more.

What ever happens over the next few weeks will be interesting and will determine whether not we can actually step up, let's be honest we really showed we were not a PL team last season and this season confirmed that we are not yet ready.

Another season of the likes of Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, Downing being in the team will not boost hopes up

I still think Clayton can do a job with the right players around him. I agree with the other names you've mentioned above though, we need younger players with a bit more energy and pace.

Smogster makes an interesting point about the quality of the league next year.

I expect us to be challenging around the Top 4/6. Whoever loses he final between Fulham & Villa will likely be my favourites to win the league. Stoke may spend big, but we've seen that fail before - a lot depends who's in charge there I reckon. West Brom with Dean Smith could be a contender. Expect clubs like Brentford and Derby to keep building if they keep their current bosses too.

Pulis has to go for last night.

We simply didn't play anywhere near enough intent and we played exactly the same way as he did on Saturday. He didn't try and tweak anything. He plays the same way week after week and plays the numbers game.

Our last roll of the dice was bringing off a CB playing RB for an actual RB, not to mention the Gestede stuff.

We were one game away from Wembley and the most we had to shout about in the first half was a long throw that bounced over the bar. We can't settle for that.

I shudder at the thought of Pulis having time to 'establish his squad'. He was a stop gap and should be treated as such.

Let's go out into the market and try and find a new exciting manager. I know the talent pool isn't exactly huge right now, but we can do better than this surely?

If I thought you genuinely wanted a football debate then I'd spend a bit of time reading your posts and replying.

I've got no problems with a difference of opinion but I get the impression your sole purpose on here involves trying to get people involved in arguments with you.

You're calling people stupid on another thread, saying we're incapable of learning on this thread now your telling me what MY problem is.

If that isn't intended to provoke an argument then I don't know what is and like I said I can't be bothered.

Your initial offerings to the manager thread I started were to suggest Garry Monk, then Woodgate and Downing, then could we get Agnew back from Villa and finally the bad taste suggestion of Leo.  Was that your attempt at a genuine football debate then?

You have plenty of problems with a difference of opinion.  Everytime Pulis gets criticised on here you're straight on to defend the bloke.  Either you really think he's great or you were so desperate to get rid of Monk that you now feel you have to back Pulis to the hilt.  Personally I think it's the latter rather than the former.

I didn't call anybody stupid on the other thread.  You said that lots of people would accept pragmatic football as long as it gets results and I said in that case then lots of people are stupid.  It still hasn't been explained to me why good football can't be played with good results but you seem to insist that it's one or the other.  Why?  It's not the first time you've suggested it so don't make out that I'm being unreasonable.  Also, earlier on this thread you said, "I think sometimes some fans think more strikers = more chance of winning a game.  It's not that simple".  That's not calling people stupid of course, it's just insinuating it.

I stand by the comment I made about people being incapable of learning.  I'm reading the same things here that I read before Karanka left as well.  "There was nothing else he could do", "if we'd done this or that then we'd have been hammered", "who else is better?" (as every possible candidate is made out to be utterly useless), "it's not his fault".  Stuff get's repeated on here all the time.

I don't mind people being critical of me if that's the way they want to go but I do have a problem with hypocrisy.  There are a fair few on here that seem to think that when they do something it's fine but if someone else does it then there's a problem.  So if you want a proper debate then let's have one but if all you want to say is that nothing is down to Pulis and we can't find anyone better then with respect you aren't interested in any kind of debate or discussion so don't pretend that you are in an attempt to take the higher ground.

We simply didn't play anywhere near enough intent and we played exactly the same way as he did on Saturday. He didn't try and tweak anything.  He plays the same way week after week and plays the numbers game.

Our last roll of the dice was bringing off a CB playing RB for an actual RB, not to mention the Gestede stuff.

We were one game away from Wembley and the most we had to shout about in the first half was a long throw that bounced over the bar. We can't settle for that.

I shudder at the thought of Pulis having time to 'establish his squad'. He was a stop gap and should be treated as such.

Let's go out into the market and try and find a new exciting manager.  I know the talent pool isn't exactly huge right now, but we can do better than this surely?

The state of football these days when a manager is already getting called on to be sacked after half a season in which he made it into the playoffs with a team that isn't his.

We simply didn't play anywhere near enough intent and we played exactly the same way as he did on Saturday. He didn't try and tweak anything.  He plays the same way week after week and plays the numbers game.

Let's go out into the market and try and find a new exciting manager.  I know the talent pool isn't exactly huge right now, but we can do better than this surely?

The state of football these days when a manager is already getting called on to be sacked after half a season in which he made it into the playoffs with a team that isn't his.

The state of his football is the problem.

It's not like smashed down the doors of the playoffs. We relied on other team's throwing it away week after week.

I don't buy this 'it's not his team'. It isn't the Don Revie's Leeds United team. These are modern footballers who, like managers move round far more frequently.

Football is entertainment and I'm not particularly entertained with Pulis in charge hence I'd like someone else to try and build something entertaining.

Ridiculous isn't it? Its like sacking a manager after six months who just got us promoted or after six months with a new re built squad which has just suffered a relegation - oh hang on we did that too didn't we?

I don't think its the position or results just the tedium of watching a Pulis team thats turning people off - so I take it if Pulis is still here you will be buying a season ticket then?

There is no point changing the manager, we've been boring under 4 managers in a row and changing the manager again would just bring more upheavel and likely result in us losing alot more games anyway. People complain about it being "pulisball" like we were some amazing attacking team under monk that won 4-3's all day when we were boring under him and just conceded alot more. If we actually make good signings for once we'd probably be alot more entertaining than simply being traore and the other 10 waiting for him to do something.

and yeah I'll be renewing my season ticket regardless.

Go watch man city then.

I do. I watch a lot of football. But I only support Boro and AGF and why can't I ask for some entertainment when watching the clubs that I love. We have the backbone and ressources to build something entertaining in this division so why not start that rebuild now?