oneBoro Forum

Boro v Aston Villa - Playoff Semi Final (Second Leg) 0-0 (0-1 agg)

Shotton to CD, Fabio RB. Then Paddy in for Britt. If/when we need a goal later in the game then bring on Britt instead of Clayton and go 442/4411.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I think britt to start. He's the only player who got any real clear chances and that was because of his movement. He scuffed all three but on another day he could have been on for a hat trick. Would prefer him to start and bamford on at the 60mins mark for a midfielder if we need a goal.

I think britt to start. He's the only player who got any real clear chances and that was because of his movement. He scuffed all three but on another day he could have been on for a hat trick. Would prefer him to start and bamford on at the 60mins mark for a midfielder if we need a goal.

Agreed that Britt’s movement was impressive on Saturday. There were a couple of times he’d made space for himself and if our player had got their head up they could’ve played him in (looking at you, Besic). But think I’d prefer Bamford because I think his movement can be better than Britt’s and I’m more confident in his ability as a finisher, I can’t see us making many chances so would rather have our best finisher up top.

Bamford's movement is far better than Britt's and I think we look a better team with him in it.

I'm pretty sure Bamford will be back tomorrow.

I've been to most away games this year and Pat has struggled when asked to play upfront alone. The ball always comes-back and when the team is struggling he disappears. Though, at home it's a different story.

It's a tough one as I think bamford would have buried one of those 3 chances Britt had in the first half, at least. But Britt did well to get into those positions to begin with

I've been to most away games this year and Pat has struggled when asked to play upfront alone. The ball always comes-back and when the team is struggling he disappears. Though, at home it's a different story.

I've been to a fair few myself and all the home games, there isn't many games this season I haven't watched either live or on a laptop.

I think if we are comparing the two strikers, they're both pretty average at holding the ball up and both of them struggle without having a proper number 10 and/or support from midfield.

I think Bamford actually holds the ball up better because his touch is better than Britt's.

Both are decent finishers but I think Bamford just brings a lot more to the team with his movement off the ball and work rate.

All round I just think Bamford is better in virtually every department.

Based on what? He got subbed on and didn't improve us. Not his fault by any means but I don't really see what there is to say Bamford will be back in the team over Britt based on anything other than his goal at Ipswich. And that surely would have meant he'd have been in at the weekend too.

Based on what? He got subbed on and didn't improve us. Not his fault by any means but I don't really see what there is to say Bamford will be back in the team over Britt based on anything other than his goal at Ipswich. And that surely would have meant he'd have been in at the weekend too.

Im not suggesting Bamford played well on Saturday, I think his performance in the first leg is pretty irrelevant in deciding who starts tomorrow for the reasons you've already stated.

I think Britt started for one reason on Saturday, I think Pulis wanted to keep faith with the team that was on an unbeaten run. He was loyal to Britt and everyone else had had been playing pretty well.

That's out the window now and the strongest team will be picked for Tuesday. In my opinion Bamford is just a better player and contributes more to the team. It's a pretty simple reason really, maybe I'll be wrong we'll see.

Britt does work hard and makes good runs but often snatches at his shots, which is fine if we're playing a poor team and are going to create a ton of chances because eventually he'll stick one in.

Cannot see us peppering Villa's goal with shots though whatever happens. Like last time we might get one or two good chances to score in the whole game.. and I know I would much rather those chances fell to Bamford, he is a better finisher and way more composed.

Im not suggesting Bamford played well on Saturday, I think his performance in the first leg is pretty irrelevant in deciding who starts tomorrow for the reasons you've already stated.

I think Britt started for one reason on Saturday, I think Pulis wanted to keep faith with the team that was on an unbeaten run. He was loyal to Britt and everyone else had had been playing pretty well.

That's out the window now and the strongest team will be picked for Tuesday. In my opinion Bamford is just a better player and contributes more to the team. It's a pretty simple reason really, maybe I'll be wrong we'll see.

I'm not doubting whether Bamford is a better player, mate, I agree with you on that. But you didn't just say you'd pick him, you think Pulis will. He's has hardly made a reputation so far of making big changes unless it's 100% forced. And I think Britt started because he's been good and scoring recently not because of keeping the same 11 that's been unbeaten.

I've no doubt in my mind Pulis will pick the team he thinks is strongest. I also don't think he'd put anything less on the pitch because of faith in an unbeaten team, certainly not in a play-off game and certainly not after a performance like we put on at Ipswich which was rank average to say the least.

After that game, I'd have been thinking changes were needed if better players could come in and I think if he was genuinely concerned about the difference in quality between Bamford and Britt, he would have picked Bamford for the first game. He didn't, not even after his goal against Ipswich. And neither Britt nor Bamford have done anything in the first leg to significantly affect their chances of who starts tomorrow so if I was to predict who Pulis would pick, it would be Britt. I could of course be wrong too.

I'm not doubting whether Bamford is a better player, mate, I agree with you on that. But you didn't just say you'd pick him, you think Pulis will. He's has hardly made a reputation so far of making big changes unless it's 100% forced. And I think Britt started because he's been good and scoring recently not because of keeping the same 11 that's been unbeaten.

I've no doubt in my mind Pulis will pick the team he thinks is strongest. I also don't think he'd put anything less on the pitch because of faith in an unbeaten team, certainly not in a play-off game and certainly not after a performance like we put on at Ipswich which was rank average to say the least.

After that game, I'd have been thinking changes were needed if better players could come in and I think if he was genuinely concerned about the difference in quality between Bamford and Britt, he would have picked Bamford for the first game. He didn't, not even after his goal against Ipswich. And neither Britt nor Bamford have done anything in the first leg to significantly affect their chances of who starts tomorrow so if I was to predict who Pulis would pick, it would be Britt. I could of course be wrong too.

I dont think we're really disagreeing on anything. We're both just second guessing Pulis I suppose, my theory is that Britt had 75 minutes to impress on Saturday and he didn't really do that. He also missed a couple of half chances.

Bamford didn't really get the same chance to impress so I think Pulis will just try something different without really changing the dynamic of the team.

I'm totally second guessing Pulis here and I might be talking rubbish but I think he rates Bamford ahead of Britt as well. I just think he picked Britt because he hadn't really done anything wrong and wanted to show a bit of loyalty to the players that had got us to the playoffs.

I think you will see howson replaced by Bamford and go out wide on the left with Downing drop more centrally and just ahead of Besic and Clayton.

Thought Clayton was once again fantastic so I can't see why people suggest dropping him for the useless Leadboots.

Move Shotton into CB if Ayala is injured so we still have him for his throw ins etc and put Fabio at right back.

I think you will see howson replaced by Bamford and go out wide on the left with Downing drop more centrally and just ahead of Besic and Clayton.

Thought Clayton was once again fantastic so I can't see why people suggest dropping him for the useless Leadboots.

Move Shotton into CB if Ayala is injured so we still have him for his throw ins etc and put Fabio at right back.

Yeah I'd agree with most of that, I thought Clayton was probably our best player on Saturday but some people obviously see different things when they watch him.

Think we’ll be unchanged, except for Fabio for Ayala. We didn’t really do a massive amount wrong, and apart from Shotton I don’t think anyone really had a shocker.

I’d be happy with either Bamford or Britt starting tomoz, but think he’ll choose Britt again.