oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Keith Downie: That’ll be Ben Gibson’s last game for Boro. He’s got a clutch of Premier League clubs looking to sign him this summer. Reckon he’d have probably stayed if Boro had gone up.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this the official transfer window thread?

Who knows? this type of thread seems to have a mind of it's own and goes in any direction it seems to choose.

However as the window seems to have changed I guess this thread will have a life on it's own also

As the window hasn’t opened yet presumably this should be renamed “the transfer window rumour/discussion thread” and then when the window actually opens we start a new thread titled “the transfer window has opened and stuff might happen thread” and obviously couple that with a “transfers that might have definitely happened thread”

Right. We need to rebuild, and it needs to be concise.

GK - We're fine if Randolph stays. Dimi/Ripley as his cover would be alright too.

RB - We're devoid of creativity, and Shotton at RB really doesn't help that - batting long throws. Cyrus Christie would've been a good fit... I'd have a look at Yiadom from Barnsley. Potentially too attack minded for a Pulis FB though.

CB - If we have Ayala, Gibson, Fry and the possibility of Shotton there, we're fine. If Gibson leaves, I'd probably give Fry his place, potentially meaning we'd need another CB to challenge.

LB - Have we given Fabio an extension simply for cash? Probably. He wants to go back to Brazil. Is Friend still the answer? Perhaps not. I'd be looking at Joe Bryan (Bristol City) or Luke Garbutt (Everton)

CM - Besić will be gone. And that's a real shame. Howson is still a solid option for this level, and Clayton - despite not being as dynamic as before - can still do the job required. Leadbitter's legs have started to go.

If we're to carry on with a midfield three, we need a dynamic, pitch covering, creative CM to replace Besić and a ball winning hardman.

Gunnarsson (Cardiff) is out of contact and reportedly wants a new challenge. I'd love him. But reckon he'll get a bigger move. Matty Cash (Forest), Will Vaulkes (Rotherham - 5 goals & 5 assists from DM), Matty James (Leicester) would be names I'd consider... Lee Cattermole to return?

RW - Bye Adama. Desperately needs replacing as he and Besić have often been our only creative outlets. We'll get big money for him, so we should be able to 'have our pick' - but need to spend wisely. I'd keep Chapman at the club next season to deputise for the new lad too. Hakeeb Adelakun (S***horpe) has been phenomenal in League One this season, but would be a risk to replace Traore with a lower league player. Kamil Grosicki (Hull) could be a good option?

LW - Downing has been solid and dependable. I'd like to see Tavernier come back and play a part too, so I'd be loathed to sign a LW that would push him out of contention.

10/SS - May not happen if we carry on with the adapted 4-3-3 Pulis plays. Personally I'd like to see this role come back, but that looks like a pipe dream. Bobby Reid (Bristol City) would've been a perfect option, or the Peterborough lad - Marcus Maddison.

ST - Could we get anyone better than Assombalonga and Bamford? Probably not. The key is to have better creativity / support behind them.

SELL: Fabio, Gestede, Johnson, Braithwaite, Traore.

RETURN: Besic, Harrison

I think the followong players will leave:

Gibson, Traore, Fabio, Braithwaite, Besic, Fletcher (loan) and one of Britt or Bamford.

I think Pulis will be looking at a number nine who fits his style, someone like a 'Rondon type' player.

He'll be looking at a couple of pacy wide players probably James McClean, Matt Philips type wingers.

And maybe a powerful box to box midfielder.

I'd love a classy number 10 like Ramirez but I don't think Pulis will be looking at that type of player. I'd also change both full backs but I'm not sure Pulis will.

I'd like to see us try and sign Besic, after a full preseason and the benefits of a half season with us I think we will see the best of him.

I think Gestede will stay, as will Bamford. If we got into next season with those 2 plus Britt we will need one more to play in behind them to create.

Play downing more centrally alongside 2 of Clayton, Howson and Besic (or similar if a deal can't be done)

New right back, left back and center back required (assuming Gibson leaves)

Two new flankers/wide players

I'd like to see us try and sign Besic, after a full preseason and the benefits of a half season with us I think we will see the best of him.

I think Gestede will stay, as will Bamford. If we got into next season with those 2 plus Britt we will need one more to play in behind them to create.

Play downing more centrally alongside 2 of Clayton, Howson and Besic (or similar if a deal can't be done)

New right back, left back and center back required (assuming Gibson leaves)

Two new flankers/wide players

I'd be up for playing Downing inside. Get a dynamic LW with Tav as competition.

Sadly I can't see Besic staying in the Championship, but I'd be overjoyed if he did.

I don't think its out of the question getting Besic. He is not someone Prem clubs will be looking at and I doubt Everton wants to keep him. Will there be other top division clubs looking at him? I can't see a queue of clubs lining up so his best option might be us if we are still interested. Everton paid 4,5 million for him and he hasn't progressed so I'd say a fee lower than that.

Think we will see Fry replacing Gibson after Pulis' comments last night and rightly so. A gifted home grown player involved with England. Could be a good partner for Ayala, but we need new competition.

Two new full backs.

The biggest concern is adding pace and creativity. If Adama leaves then we are going to need two new wingers and a creative attacking midfielder. Enough with playing three central midfielders. Besic-Howson and a creative player would be decent.

I reckon our attack is sorted. Britt, Paddy and Gestede is good enough for this level.

I worry that Pulis' comments last night about not wasting the clubs cash will be a signal that there won't be any big signings. I think he dropped a massive one in January by letting Braithwaite go and not replacing him. Getting Harrison on loan as a replacement was a very poor decision but it was a cost cutting exercise.

Two new full backs who have a bit of pace, but Pulis won't do that, probably will just buy another CB and play him at LB ahead of Friend.

A creative midfielder to replace Besic, actually two creative midfielders or develop Lewis Baker.

Two new wide men, Traore will be off and Downing's too slow and prefers to be in the middle. Watching Adomah over these last two legs, I'd have killed to have him back.

Sounds like Fabio is off after all, with this on his Instagram:

I could came here talk about how sorry I’m but in stead I want to thank you fans.

I wish, I could do help more.

I will take the way we treat me forever in my heart. Thank you

#UTB

Priority number 1 - Downing has needed replacing for the last 2 years at least in my opinion. He had a purple spell this season but that only lasted a month. To think that in a system that only has 3 forward players that he is one of them, it's no wonder we create so little. Traore will need replacing on the other wing too. I'd like to see us spend big for both these positions.

Priority number 2 - centre midfield. Howson has been very disappointing, Clayton is okay but id prefer him as back up, besic will probably go back and leadbitter is in the downing club of needing to be replaced for 2 years. Need a big overhaul here.

Priority number 3 - both full back positions. As much as I've loved friend for his contributions over the years, his yellow card sums up his play these days, So slow both mentally and physically. Shotton is a decent defender but more comfortable with him in the centre.

We're okay at centre back (I think Gibson will stay), goalkeeper and up front so any signings here should be loans or free transfers imo, unless we sell someone.

Howson has had some poor games, but on the whole has performed pretty well. He just isn't a number 10, and we should not expect him to be one.