oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I’m a big fan of Howson as you’re probably aware cos I’ve banged on about him enough :)

Think he’s had a rough press all year and bit of a scapegoat but over the course of the seasons he’s put in some good performances, underrated.

However I thought he was very poor last night, game completely passed him by.

I’d keep him for next year though, and if we don’t sign Besic sign an attacking CM.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was chatting to some villa fans in the pub after last night and they seem really concerned about what happens if they don't get promoted. They stop getting parachute payments and apparently their wage bill is unsustainable so will need to make sales to stay afloat.

If this is the case and they stay down I'd be looking at Chester to replace Gibson, maybe consider a move to bring adomah back and Snodgrass will likely be available from West ham on a cut price deal or loan.

Are you sure they stop with the parachute money? I’m quite sure that teams that have been in the Prem for a number of years get more than two years of parachute money whereas teams that go straight back down like us only receive two years of parachute payments.

Seen on Twitter that Derby might have to sell Vydra as need to cut costs next year.

Not only would I buy him, but it’s interesting to see that they might not be able to build on this season, and similarly Villa too if they don’t get promoted. Can’t see many teams spending big this summer, us included.

I’m a big fan of Howson as you’re probably aware cos I’ve banged on about him enough :)

Think he’s had a rough press all year and bit of a scapegoat but over the course of the seasons he’s put in some good performances, underrated.

I’d keep him for next year though, and if we don’t sign Besic sign an attacking CM.

Some decent performances but not consistent enough (probably a criticism that could be levelled at most of our players to be fair to him). I did say id keep him around the squad, just that I was disappointed in him as he came in with a reputation of a goal scoring midfielder who would drive us forward and we didn't see very much of that. Id like an improvement.

As for villas parachute payments, it was a villa fan that told me and he tends to be reasonably well informed so while I can't be certain I'm reasonably confident

Seen on Twitter that Derby might have to sell Vydra as need to cut costs next year.

Not only would I buy him, but it’s interesting to see that they might not be able to build on this season, and similarly Villa too if they don’t get promoted. Can’t see many teams spending big this summer, us included.

Very good player, has played left forward for a lot of his career hasn't he? Be worried that he's quite similar to Braithwaite and not be fancied by pulis in the same way.

The idea of an attacking midfielder and the full backs that we on here would look at are merely a pipedream. Pulis will not sign a forward thinking fullback for either side. His first move when coming here was to get rid of our most forward thinking right back. He plays with a big guy up top, lumps the ball to him and expects the two other forward thinking players to pick up the bits.

As for howson, I wasn't a big fan of us signing him but can't blame him for not being the player he was previously, especially under pulis, given that the ball goes from back to front in one lump. The only midfielders that can prosper in that type of football are ball winners and that isn't really howsons game

My point about howson substantiated -

How a supposedly forward thinking midfielder makes only 10 forward passes in 180mins of football is beyond me. Only the 3 strikers and Fabio had less out of all players used across the two games.

Funny that. Only made 10 forward passes yet 2 of those created 2 of Britt's chances in the home leg. He didn't pass the ball forward quite simply because nobody got the ball to him.

The possession stats show that Howson had control of the ball less than everyone but Britt (including Randolph) in the 2nd leg. In the first leg it wasn't much better, but it shows that he created 2 of our best chances in the game when he did get it. You can't complain about him not playing positively when he's being completely starved of possession.

how can you pass forward if nobody is in front of you?

very likely that Traore will be on someones wish list so we could do with a complete re-fit of the three players behind the striker (if we play that system) 

one forgotten man that should be considered is Jordan Graham of Wolves.

Was chatting to some villa fans in the pub after last night and they seem really concerned about what happens if they don't get promoted. They stop getting parachute payments and apparently their wage bill is unsustainable so will need to make sales to stay afloat.

If this is the case and they stay down I'd be looking at Chester to replace Gibson, maybe consider a move to bring adomah back and Snodgrass will likely be available from West ham on a cut price deal or loan.

Are you sure they stop with the parachute money? I’m quite sure that teams that have been in the Prem for a number of years get more than two years of parachute money whereas teams that go straight back down like us only receive two years of parachute payments.

"Parachute payments are unique to the English game and, currently, see relegated clubs receive a percentage of their final earnings in the Premier League in which they were relegated. These drop progressively over a three year period – 55% in the first year, 45% in year two and 20% in the final year. Roughly speaking this equates to £90m over a three year period. "

"Parachute payments are unique to the English game and, currently, see relegated clubs receive a percentage of their final earnings in the Premier League in which they were relegated. These drop progressively over a three year period – 55% in the first year, 45% in year two and 20% in the final year. Roughly speaking this equates to £90m over a three year period. "

I’m pretty sure clubs that are relegated after just one season only get 2 years of parachute. I think it was a compromise as before clubs would get 4 years. Now teams with a longer stint in the Prem get an extra year. here is an article from when they changed the rules:

https://www.google.dk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/parachute-payments-clubs-relegated-premier-league

“From the 2016-17 season relegated clubs will receive 55% of the equal share of broadcast revenue paid to Premier League clubs in the first year after relegation, 45% the following year and 20% in year three. Clubs relegated after a single season will receive 55% and 45% over two seasons with the third payment eliminated entirely”

So we have two years and Villa still have one year although it’s reduced to 20%.

If Adama & Gibbo go for figure banded about that will bring in 40-50? million to assist in rebuilding. Exciting if they stay. Exciting if they go.

Can't wait

Not overly excited if it's pulis given the money. Preparing for a transfer window of targets im not going to love. Big centre half to play at full back, more leadboots-like midfielders and a beanpole or two as strikers

I think Howson's problem in that situation when he is playing the more advanced role is his off the ball movement, he doesn't pop up in the gaps between defence and midfield, just sort of stands around in the opponents half, very rarely looking to find dangerous areas to move into, when he gets the ball i agree he can be quite effective but he needs to find those dangerous areas to receive the ball more often, either that or he needs to be played deeper. It also doesn't help with downing playing so narrow crowding that area.

I think Howson's problem in that situation when he is playing the more advanced role is his off the ball movement, he doesn't pop up in the gaps between defence and midfield, just sort of stands around in the opponents half, very rarely looking to find dangerous areas to move into, when he gets the ball i agree he can be quite effective but he needs to find those dangerous areas to receive the ball more often, either that or he needs to be played deeper. It also doesn't help with downing playing so narrow crowding that area.

Good points mate.