oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Actual transfer rumour..

Denis Kolinger from Lokomotiv Zagreb for £1million (The S*n)

1m is chump change but I wouldn't know enough about the Croatian league other than seeing Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split play in the Europa. Worth a go even if he'll be 4th choice...

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With Pulis in charge next season I think we'll be more than likely be looking for Leadbitter type players rather than creative midfielders, and a big target man for the hoof up the field. also anyone under 5ft 10 who had aspirations of coming to the club needs to look elsewhere.

Not even going to speculate who we'll buy in the summer because I already have that sinking feeling.

More flair, smash the league, me thinks chairman Gibson speak with forked tongue.

Actual transfer rumour..

1m is chump change but I wouldn't know enough about the Croatian league other than seeing Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split play in the Europa. Worth a go even if he'll be 4th choice...

Played every level for the national team too.. First senior cap last season.

Actual transfer rumour..

Played every level for the national team too.. First senior cap last season.

Reckon we could glimpse him at the world cup for Croatia? Seems like a bit of a random rumour for there to be nothing in it...

Just had a look at Pulis's 25 most expensive signings, all of which have come at Stoke and West Brom. It gives a pretty good, if predictable, indication of what he likes to spend his allotted resources on and pretty much echoes what Hull Baggie posted yesterday.

It's not looking too promising on the creator/playmaker front, only two of 25 I'd consider that type of player, Nacer Chadli and Tuncay. There are 3 wingers, Oli Burke, McManaman and Phillips. The rest fall pretty distinctly into either target men (9), defensive Midfielders (5), towering centre backs (3), full backs (2), and a goalkeeper. It's a pretty uninspiring list with some fairly hefty fees paid for some awful players (9m for Wilson Palacios, 9.7m for Kenwyne Jones, 7m for Dave Kitson). By the looks of it him and Garry Gill will be like two peas in a pod.

A point Hull Baggie made was that their signings were all ageing and in the prime to latter stages of their careers, which rings true, only 7 of the 25 were u25 at the time he signed them, Burke, McManaman, Cameron Jerome, Robert Huth, Steven N'Zonzi and Jack Butland. If we're in the process of reigning in the clubs finances and planning on becoming a sustainable club, we'd have to be looking at younger players that could be developed and sold on for a profit, and as far as I know none of the players on this list, barring Steven N'Zonzi who Stoke made a whopping 4m on, were sold for a profit. His transfer policy doesn't look like a model we could sustain without the big income stream from the premier league.

Another thing that concerns me about his management (the list is inexhaustible) is his record on developing youth players. It's not something that's been prevalent or fruitful under the last 3 permanent managers but we still have had 3 or 4 home grown players in and around the first team this season, and we could be set to make a possible 20m+ off the sale of one this summer. I can't remember a single player he brought through at Stoke or Palace, in fact in his entire time in the Premier League at Stoke, West Brom and Palace he only ever gave debuts to 5 youth team players. It's not an absolute necessity, or even a priority that managers look to that to be successful, but with where we're at as a club financially and the disparity that's opening up with the super rich owners of clubs of similar stature to ours and upwards, we've got to be looking into implementing sustainable models to give us any chance of competing. It looked as though we were going down that route a few years ago with the supposed super club network with Atletico and Juve(?) that was made by Kenyon and Jorge Mendes I think, but that seemed to dissappear into the ether. The academy here was relatively productive for a period fifteen or so years ago. The 2004 FA youth cup winning side produced 6 or 7 players that went on to have good careers mostly in the top two tiers, it seems strange that the side that got to the latter stages of the Youth Champions League a few years back hasn't produced any good enough for our first team. By all accounts the facilities are still excellent and the youth teams seem to always perform well, it's something that the club needs to look to to supplement us going forward sustainably.

Anyway, the point is, without even going into the drudgerous playing style, I'm frankly terrified by the prospect of giving Pulis the last portion of our precious parachute payments and letting him implement his regime throughout the club. The game is moving on quickly and some are getting left behind. We should be looking forward, not backwards.

well he cant do worse in the transfermarket than Monk did......

Of course he can. Monks signings weren't good by any stretch but at least the like of Braithwaite/Assombalonga we'll still get close to what we paid for them back. There's only really Fletcher you'd say we'd completely screwed up on and at least he has youth on his side. 

As opposed to a Strachen like scenario were we massively overpaid on both wages and fees for old/injury prone knackers who we were stuck with for years.

I think most are concerned that's the route Pulis will be going down and judging by his history that's exactly what he'll do.

well he cant do worse in the transfermarket than Monk did......

I'm not sure how this is really part of the argument, unless we're in some nightmare in which Monk and Pulis are the only managers we can possibly have.

He's already shown signs of his poor judgement in his one and only permanent transfer. He got rid of Cyrus Christie, who admittedly had his faults defensively, but was one of the better players in the first half of the season, and replaced him with Martin Cranie, who put in possibly the worst performance I'd ever seen in a boro shirt away at Burton.

I mean it's obvious our midfielders are all too short for Pulis I mean they got bullied by Jedinak clearing out central midfielders seems like a no brainer it'll mean fan favourites leaving but for Pulls to be effective we need height and power in there and I'm not talking about the likes of Dean Whitehead. Crucial thing for me is we buy players in the 24-28 age range no one higher on a big fee we don't want to be left with players with no resale value if it all goes wrong again in 12 months.

Let's say he brings in 3 new midfielders and clears out 2, winger position is next in his formation this is where the signings will need to be right Downing isn't dynamic enough and his legs move but not very fast these days and we'll need backup/competition for Adama. Up front you figure we'll keep Britt/Bamford I mean what's the point in losing money on them now when they're proven goalscorers but I don't know, either way he'll want a big striker with a good pedigree and profile to lead the line. I imagine he'll want to replace Friend, Fabio's out of contract I think and we'll need either a better RB than Shotton or cover for him I hope it's the former.

So I think we're looking at a minimum of 7 signings by Pulls and probably 5+ exits it's another merry go round summer and my one worry with Pulis in the transfer market is he loves leaving it late in the window to make his moves I think he can do that on the fringes but not with the striker/CMs we need them in ASAP. Another interesting summer ahead for sure.

Just had a look at Pulis's 25 most expensive signings, all of which have come at Stoke and West Brom. It gives a pretty good, if predictable, indication of what he likes to spend his allotted resources on and pretty much echoes what Hull Baggie posted yesterday.

It's not looking too promising on the creator/playmaker front, only two of 25 I'd consider that type of player, Nacer Chadli and Tuncay. There are 3 wingers, Oli Burke, McManaman and Phillips. The rest fall pretty distinctly into either target men (9), defensive Midfielders (5), towering centre backs (3), full backs (2), and a goalkeeper. It's a pretty uninspiring list with some fairly hefty fees paid for some awful players (9m for Wilson Palacios, 9.7m for Kenwyne Jones, 7m for Dave Kitson). By the looks of it him and Garry Gill will be like two peas in a pod.  

A point Hull Baggie made was that their signings were all ageing and in the prime to latter stages of their careers, which rings true, only 7 of the 25 were u25 at the time he signed them, Burke, McManaman, Cameron Jerome, Robert Huth, Steven N'Zonzi and Jack Butland. If we're in the process of reigning in the clubs finances and planning on becoming a sustainable club, we'd have to be looking at younger players that could be developed and sold on for a profit, and as far as I know none of the players on this list, barring Steven N'Zonzi who Stoke made a whopping 4m on, were sold for a profit. His transfer policy doesn't look like a model we could sustain without the big income stream from the premier league.

Another thing that concerns me about his management (the list is inexhaustible) is his record on developing youth players. It's not something that's been prevalent or fruitful under the last 3 permanent managers but we still have had 3 or 4 home grown players in and around the first team this season, and we could be set to make a possible 20m+ off the sale of one this summer. I can't remember a single player he brought through at Stoke or Palace, in fact in his entire time in the Premier League at Stoke, West Brom and Palace he only ever gave debuts to 5 youth team players. It's not an absolute necessity, or even a priority that managers look to that to be successful, but with where we're at as a club financially and the disparity that's opening up with the super rich owners of clubs of similar stature to ours and upwards, we've got to be looking into implementing sustainable models to give us any chance of competing. It looked as though we were going down that route a few years ago with the supposed super club network with Atletico and Juve(?) that was made by Kenyon and Jorge Mendes I think, but that seemed to dissappear into the ether. The academy here was relatively productive for a period fifteen or so years ago. The 2004 FA youth cup winning side produced 6 or 7 players that went on to have good careers mostly in the top two tiers, it seems strange that the side that got to the latter stages of the Youth Champions League a few years back hasn't produced any good enough for our first team. By all accounts the facilities are still excellent and the youth teams seem to always perform well, it's something that the club needs to look to to supplement us going forward sustainably.

Anyway, the point is, without even going into the drudgerous playing style, I'm frankly terrified by the prospect of giving Pulis the last portion of our precious parachute payments and letting him implement his regime throughout the club. The game is moving on quickly and some are getting left behind. We should be looking forward, not backwards.

Crikey, I was on a downer with the thought of having Pulis in charge next season, reading your post has sent me further into despair. :crying:

Pulis really isn't anywhere near as bad as some portray him to be. He plays negative football, absolutely, but the way he gets spoken about you'd wonder how on earth he has earned himself as one of the most respected Premier League managers of the past decade. Considering the resources available to Pulis coming into our poor position after Monk left, I think he done well to turn us around to getting into 5th spot. Our squad wasn't going anywhere until he found a pragmatic system for our team that was severely lacking creativity. If I could be bothered I'd have found the Premier League finishing positions of Pulis at Stoke, Crystal Palace and West Brom. That will be far more measure of his success than the list of his 25 most expensive transfers, of which only 12 (if I counted them properly with my quick scan) are named, so it is hardly a fair portrayal of his ability in the transfer market.

A large section of the fans of Stoke and West Brom may hate him but he had them consistently punching above their weight in the Premier League. Their fans wanted change and more expansive football, and they got themselves relegated seeking that. A lesson that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.