oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

He might been behind in the stats but it was still offensive football

Mourinho and van Gaal played offensive football with Man U too, just not speedy. Possession football is attacking football. Counter attack football where you usually create more chances than with possesion fotball is defensive football. Its all about how you see it :)

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've tried to bring in creative players in the past ( see this summer) in order to play the attacking style and it just hasn't worked, any success we've had recently has been from a safety first perspective, we all thought braithwaite was going to be the answer, unfortunately not.

I think it's obvious that those players are a lot harder to identify at this level making it a bigger risk to go after them, it's a lot easier to go for tried and tested players even if that means playing in a defensive/ countering manner. Personally I'm a big fan of counter attacking tactics as long as there is a plan B when teams are trying to protect a lead which is something I think we're lacking at the moment.

I'm not saying we don't need to go out and sign a couple of creative players, every team needs them regardless of their playing style, as you say, the aim of the game is to score more than the opposition do. But IMO, all out attack isn't the way to do that. My coaching philosophy in my team's has always been having a steady base to build off and working from there and it hasn't served me too badly at all.

If we look at the attempts last year to play that style we bought braithwaite, Fletcher and Johnson, all of which failed to impress, if pulis wants to go down the tried and tested route after seeing what our recruitment department came up with last year then who can blame him?

I also think people are exaggerating on pulis' style on being awful to watch, I think someone posted a stat a while back saying we play less long balls under pulis than we did under monk.

I don't care if it is attacking, defensive, counter attacking, 442, 343, 532, all I want is exciting football that gets me on the edge of my seat and then on my feet. What have we had in recent years, Strachan, Mowbray, Karanka and now Pulis, God help us all !!

Priorities

1. Secure Besic.

2. Can't see Traore and Gibson staying. Move them out asap.

3. Replace them immediately.

4. CREATIVITY. Wide areas.

5. CREATIVITY. Through the middle.

6. Replace George Friend.

7. Move out Fletcher.

8. Increase strength in depth and competition for places.

All of this.

Unless the tiny chance that Adama stays becomes a real possibility.

I think Adama leaving isn't as certain as some are saying. Hopefully we can keep him.

Gibson, if there's interest at a price we're happy with we should sell him, he deserves to move on and grow which he won't do in the championship.

If there is one slight positive about Adama having a poor playoffs it may be a slight glimmer of hope the big boys don't think he's worth what we are undoubtedly asking. 

Its also the only way in hell we'll be getting promoted under Pulis.

I'd actually be happy to sell Traore if we get a good offer. We could buy two decent midfielders for the same price, who should be able to be more productive.

Don't get me wrong.... I've loved watching Traore, he's exciting. However, despite his lightening pace, I think his decision making and end product are still lacking.

Maybe he just tried too hard in the play-offs(?), and maybe he was marked out of it... but he seemed to have reverted back to the slightly more headless version that ran in to dead ends, or made bad decisions with passes at key moments.

well he cant do worse in the transfermarket than Monk did......

Of course he can. Monks signings weren't good by any stretch but at least the like of Braithwaite/Assombalonga we'll still get close to what we paid for them back. There's only really Fletcher you'd say we'd completely screwed up on and at least he has youth on his side. 

As opposed to a Strachen like scenario were we massively overpaid on both wages and fees for old/injury prone knackers who we were stuck with for years.

I think most are concerned that's the route Pulis will be going down and judging by his history that's exactly what he'll do.

I doubt we'd get much more than £10M for Assombalonga.

(Just IMO).

We've tried to bring in creative players in the past ( see this summer) in order to play the attacking style and it just hasn't worked, any success we've had recently has been from a safety first perspective, we all thought braithwaite was going to be the answer, unfortunately not.

I think it's obvious that those players are a lot harder to identify at this level making it a bigger risk to go after them, it's a lot easier to go for tried and tested players even if that means playing in a defensive/ countering manner. Personally I'm a big fan of counter attacking tactics as long as there is a plan B when teams are trying to protect a lead which is something I think we're lacking at the moment.

I'm not saying we don't need to go out and sign a couple of creative players, every team needs them regardless of their playing style, as you say, the aim of the game is to score more than the opposition do. But IMO, all out attack isn't the way to do that. My coaching philosophy in my team's has always been having a steady base to build off and working from there and it hasn't served me too badly at all.

If we look at the attempts last year to play that style we bought braithwaite, Fletcher and Johnson, all of which failed to impress, if pulis wants to go down the tried and tested route after seeing what our recruitment department came up with last year then who can blame him?

I also think people are exaggerating on pulis' style on being awful to watch, I think someone posted a stat a while back saying we play less long balls under pulis than we did under monk.

Nobody is exaggerating about Pulis' team's style.  It is awful and he's made a good career out of it to be fair to him.  That stat isn't correct, at least not in the way it's meant anyway.  Now we have people trying to convince others that Pulis isn't what he has been his whole career  :upside_down:

Go through the creative players we signed this summer if you could because I'm buggered if I can think who they are?  Baker presumably?  Who else?  Third on our assists list this season is Christie and he left in January, fourth is Ben Gibson!  The top two are Traore and Downing.  

Over the last few years we've made barely any attempt to sign creative players.  Tomlin, Downing, Fabbrini on loan as Tomlin was leaving and then Ramirez when Fabbrini left are what I can come up with in the last 4 years or so?  Put Traore in there actually as he has certainly done the business this season but he replaced Adomah.  We've made no attempt to build a side that wasn't defensive other than Monks bizarre attempt at getting as many strikers involved as possible.  Karanka wasn't that way inclined, Christ knows what Monk was trying to do and Pulis can be placed squarely next to Karanka.

That's kind of my point CT, Johnson, baker, Fletcher, braithwaite and howson were all signed to try and add a bit of creativity in order to play a more attacking style and it failed, our quality lies at the back, we conceded to joint least goals this season (46, 45 if you don't count the playoffs) according to bein sports, so why not focus on what we're good at and build from there? Surely that seems the logical thing to do?

Harry Wilson has massively impressed on loan at Hull from Liverpool. In his 13 appearances since February he scored 7 and created 4 goals. He's exactly the sort of direct winger we need in our team. He's basically everything that I was hoping Jack Harrison was going to be.

If were already good at the back then why do we need to focus on it? Surely were at the 'building on' stage?

It is NOT hard to identify good attacking players, many of the names fans put forward last summer went on to do well.

Josh Murphy

Jota

Watkins

Burke

Saville

Just a handful of players that should be obtainable for us who would instantly add whats missing from our forward line/midfield.

The play off games had one positive in that they confirmed what I and a few others have been saying for a while.

Friend finished

Clayton not good enough

Shotton not good enough

Downing doesnt offer enough

Or left side is absolutely awful, we have zero threat from our midfield and centrally, our passing is ponderous, half our players have awful touches and slow everything down, our movement is none existant, we have 1 flair player.... £50m later we have 1 player who can make things happen and he was already here.

Let that sink in because that is absolutely disgraceful.

Harry Wilson has massively impressed on loan at Hull from Liverpool. In his 13 appearances since February he scored 7 and created 4 goals. He's exactly the sort of direct winger we need in our team. He's basically everything that I was hoping Jack Harrison was going to be.

Exactly, all these other so called smaller teams can identify players yet people for some reason think its to hard for us. Look at Brentford, they spent about a fiver and played us off the park with some great football.

Dan Burn from Wigan. A much cheaper and younger alternative to Aden Flint. A big physical CB who's not the greatest on the ball so would suit our style. He got into League 1's Team of the Year too, which is often a huge indication that they're ready for the Championship. He only has one year left on his contract so if he tells them he want to leave then they're going to have to cash in on him.