oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

maybe a completely different thread but wete gibson to go ,as seems increasingly likeky and add to that Leadbitter being weened out of the first team picture ..Who would seem most likely to take over the captaincy .

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe a completely different thread but wete gibson to go ,as seems increasingly likeky and add to that Leadbitter being weened out of the first team picture ..Who would seem most likely to take over the captaincy .

Ayala or Clayton maybe?

Ayala or Clayton maybe?

Don't think ayala is that type of player, Not overly sure Clayton is either. Friend would have been the obvious choice character wise but isn't good enough to be first choice anymore.

I think we need to bring a couple of leaders in as we don't have many in the squad and the one or two we do have are likely to go.

Another one about Ben Gibson this time from The 4th Official @official_T40 on Twitter: BREAKING: Southampton makes a £20m bid for Middlesbrough defender Ben Gibson. This is part of #saintsfc replacement plan for Virgil van Dijk.

Sidenote: If we were #boro we would stick a 25% sell on clause for when Liverpool comes in. ?

They’re all saying the same thing.

Fry is a direct replacement for me. Fry and Ayala as a back two would make me happy, then sign a dedicated RB who can challenge for the slot with Shotton - who can also cover CB. Would probably still need a CB in, but not a terrible move all in all.

Rb, LB, cm, cm, cm, LW

Let's get real, as it stands if we want to progress as a team those are the areas that need drastic improvement.

Sick of seeing things like 'nobody is better for the role than clayton'. Yes, yes they are. Jedinak was yet another example of a DM who showed up and showed us how it's done. Look at the stats table for championship midfielders, Clayton is right in there with the rest of the championship average joes.

Besic came and stood out immediately as being a better midfielder than any we have. Sign him, play him in his proper DM position, job done.

Rb, LB, cm, cm, cm, LW

Let's get real, as it stands if we want to progress as a team those are the areas that need drastic improvement.

Sick of seeing things like 'nobody is better for the role than clayton'. Yes, yes they are. Jedinak was yet another example of a DM who showed up and showed us how it's done. Look at the stats table for championship midfielders, Clayton is right in there with the rest of the championship average joes.

Besic came and stood out immediately as being a better midfielder than any we have. Sign him, play him in his proper DM position, job done.

I don't think Jedinak did any better a job than Clayton over the two legs. If fact he had very little to do in the 2nd leg, having said that i would prefer Besic in that CDM role Howson in there (providing he can finally lift his game to the levels we know he's capable of) and another 5-10 goal a season CM.

Rb, LB, cm, cm, cm, LW

We could improve every area of the pitch in reality but there comes a point where you are constrained by finances and a decision on how many changes you want to make.

I remember last summer arguing that we were making too many changes and more than necessary. While it was hard to argue against any individual going out you sometimes need some continuity.

Look at this way, I agree with you that we need two new fullbacks. However what if we sign 2 great wingers and a brilliant number 10. We might then be able to win the league with 2 average full backs behind them.

There comes a point where changing the whole team becomes counterproductive.

If were already good at the back then why do we need to focus on it? Surely were at the 'building on' stage?

It is NOT hard to identify good attacking players, many of the names fans put forward last summer went on to do well.

Josh Murphy

Jota

Watkins

Burke

Saville

Just a handful of players that should be obtainable for us who would instantly add whats missing from our forward line/midfield.

The play off games had one positive in that they confirmed what I and a few others have been saying for a while.

Friend finished

Clayton not good enough

Shotton not good enough

Downing doesnt offer enough

Or left side is absolutely awful, we have zero threat from our midfield and centrally, our passing is ponderous, half our players have awful touches and slow everything down, our movement is none existant, we have 1 flair player.... £50m later we have 1 player who can make things happen and he was already here.

Let that sink in because that is absolutely disgraceful.

I guess it's funny how we all see things. I thought Clayton was brilliant in the play-off games... and in a good few games before TOO. No way in my mind is he not good enough.