oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I'm not entirely sold on this 'just buy young players with pace'. It's absolutely got to be the right balance. You absolutely do need a good mix of experience in there too. And Morrison at his best is better than any of our midfielders. If he still has that in him, it's a yes. If he's just a crock, then I'd stay as far away from him as possible, just like Huth.

Very well put.

Morrison is a better player than Leadbitter, so if he's taking his spot in the squad, it's a no-brainer, as long as we could get him to take a wage cut.

Fitness would be the main issue.

Are we lacking in experience?

Depends who we sell, to be honest, mate.

If we were to get rid of  Leadbitter, Friend and Downing this summer, then we probably could use a few older heads in there.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer players who have the desire to play at the top level rather than those dropping down after a long time in the premiership.

They just seem to lack that something extra and coast around the pitch. Look at lambert, he was a monster until he peaked playing for Liverpool and England and he's barely been heard of since.

On the other hand, Merson did ok for us.

If we were to get rid of  Leadbitter, Friend and Downing this summer, then we probably could use a few older heads in there.

I know there are lots of times when I'm clearly looking at things from a different direction than others but have you seen the ages of the players in our squad?  We have maybe 3 or 4 who are under 25.  Not under 20 but under 25!  We are full of older heads.  We could sell those three players and still be full of them.  If the right thing to do is to have a good balance as Wilson says then have a look at our squad and see where we appear to be lacking.  It isn't in older heads.

I know there are lots of times when I'm clearly looking at things from a different direction than others but have you seen the ages of the players in our squad?  We have maybe 3 or 4 who are under 25.  Not under 20 but under 25!  We are full of older heads.  We could sell those three players and still be full of them.  If the right thing to do is to have a good balance as Wilson says then have a look at our squad and see where we appear to be lacking.  It isn't in older heads.

True, but it looks like we're stuck with Pulis, and he has never been a manager to put faith in youth, and he isn't going to change his spots now. And if it came down to which 30-odd midfielder I'd rather have out of Leadbitter (or probably Clayton) and Morrison, I know who I'd rather have.

True, but it looks like we're stuck with Pulis, and he has never been a manager to put faith in youth, and he isn't going to change his spots now. And if it came down to which 30-odd midfielder I'd rather have out of Leadbitter (or probably Clayton) and Morrison, I know who I'd rather have.

That's fine but then you don't agree with Wilson's point about needing balance or you're ignoring it because you think Pulis will ignore it.  Either way, the reason for people talking about signing younger players makes more sense in terms of balance than it does for us to sign older players.

I think I was more agreeing with the point that buying pacy, young players isn't the only way to go.

Of Cardiff City's top 20 appearance makers this season, only 3 are aged under 25 (and two of those are 24)

And as I already said, Pulis is a manager for whom you'd imagine 'young' means 30.

I prefer players who have the desire to play at the top level rather than those dropping down after a long time in the premiership.

They just seem to lack that something extra and coast around the pitch. Look at lambert, he was a monster until he peaked playing for Liverpool and England and he's barely been heard of since.

The classic 'counter the argument using the 1 example from a million years ago' technique. Love it.

I think I was more agreeing with the point that buying pacy, young players isn't the only way to go.

Of Cardiff City's top 20 appearance makers this season, only 3 are aged under 25 (and two of those are 24)

And as I already said, Pulis is a manager for whom you'd imagine 'young' means 30.

Our squad is well set then  :)

I wouldn't be against signing Morrison if we had the right players around him. Let's say we had 2 quick wide players in the team and someone like Bamford up front. That wouldn't be a bad blend for me.

The problem is his age, injury record and wages. It's the same as Huth if you could guarantee 30 odd games out of each one they'd be good signings but is it worth the financial risk?

I've heard a few names mentioned like Morrison, Huth, Adomah, Hutton, Collins etc. They're all good players but signing players who are over 30 to big contracts could be risky if it doesn't work out.

The classic 'counter the argument using the 1 example from a million years ago' technique. Love it.

No different to you cherry picking Lambert as your example...

You gave one example, so did I.

If you want others, john Terry did well this season with Villa.

You gave one example, so did I.

If you want others, john Terry did well this season with Villa.

But everyone from that Villa line up was +27 except Grealish!

Carlton cole

Downing

Dave kitson

Zamora

Anders weiman

To be fair I think Bobby Zamora's issues were more to do with his physical state than motivation. 

Dave Kitson  :crying: