oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I think until Clayton starts scoring 10+ goals a season some fans will never rate him, I feel the same about Randolph ;)

Why do people always bring it back to goals? It's obvious a player in his position won't get many, but at the same time if he's playing as one of 2 midfielders he needs to offer a lot more than just running about and breaking up play.

I mean, the 2 best seasons I'd say he had for us were the play-off final and promotion seasons. Playing as one of 2 midfielders, breaking up play. It's not his job to create and never has been here. He keeps us in control of games when we're in front. In this division, we don't need him to do any more than that and blaming him in any way in what does or doesn't happen at the top end of the pitch is harsh.

Just don't agree with any of that it is the job of the DM to get the ball from the back to forward players as quickly and accurately as possible to start attacks, the truth is he breaks our own play up just as much as he does the oppositions.

If we counter, whoever we have in space will only be in that space for a short few seconds, those seconds are often ate up by claytons poor touch or not turning with the ball or playing a poor pass because he can't play at speed.

Thinking the DM is only there to tackle and play a short pass to another player is an incredibly dated thing.

I have a feeling you'd like William Kvist and his role for Denmark. He's everything you hate in Clayton multiplied by 10^10. 

I like Clayton and what he does. Did he not play a more controlling (i.e. 'creative') role for Huddersfield? 7 goals and 6 assists in 42 games (13/14). 

Like many others have pointed out, his role in the team is limited to spread the ball to more creative players. And, I suppose, - supporting your argument - for good reason.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what his role is I just think he can only do half of it to any effect.

Say what you want about promotion or whatever I'll stand by my opinion, even during the promotion and play off season I thought the midfield was poor, the Norwich play off game just reinforced that.

@SkySports_Keith

Paddy McNair has agreed personal terms with Middlesbrough and will undergo a medical on Teesside tomorrow. Sunderland will make a little over £5m from the transfer.

Sounds like we called Sunderlands bluff.

Think Karanka is trying to turn forest into Boro... Bamford, Clayton, Tomlin and now linked with Stuani. Links with George and Leadbitter my next guess

They would have to pay over 20 million for stuani after the season he’s had

If we’re not going to play a designated CAM then I wouldn’t mind sacrificing Clayton for someone like McNair who seems a bit more forward thinking. McNair, Howson and someone else would a lot more adventurous than we’ve seen in recent seasons. I’d still rather have McNair and howson in a midfield two with someone ahead of them though.

So I guess Gibson has done what he did with Rhodes? Walk away, let them worry, cut a reduced deal. Nice work.

I don't think we did cut a reduced deal for Rhodes.  We paid them what they wanted as far as I'm aware?

Told you we were far from innocent in it all. Top negotiators now boro no longer walkovers. Cracking signing if it comes off young dangerous

Are we still after dack?

Yeah McNair was never 1st choice but we obviously saw last year we need strengthening and we need a squad. THere is a lot of names but a lot depends on outgoings 1st don’t be surprised if Traore is still a boro player next year one way or another. No release clause though.

Yeah McNair was never 1st choice but we obviously saw last year we need strengthening and we need a squad. THere is a lot of names but a lot depends on outgoings 1st don’t be surprised if Traore is still a boro player next year one way or another. No release clause though.

Yea I heard Gibson wants to keep him at least until January