• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's been hugely influential on Friends game that we haven't had a proper winger in front of him for two years now. When he had Albert in front him in the play off final and promotion season he was brilliant. It's not easy when as a full back you have to do all the work on left hand side. People expect him to beat a man, get to the byline and make a cross into the box while at the same time make sure that he doesn't make room behind him for a counter attack. With a proper winger ahead of him he may be able to focus a bit more on defence and have less responsibility on his shoulders going forward. He can still make the occasional overlap that was his trademark but he needs quality help.

Very good point, there's times where he's defending AND doing Downings job going forward.

another big tick for this post.  friend imo is not the main problem ,Downing is . Sorry to upset the Stewy lovers but he seriously hampers the fluidity attacking wise by playing too deep and  not either being able or unwilling to run with the ball and take defenders on anymore . hes become safe  these days  in that hes still technically good and rarely misplaces passes and has decent awareness of things around him but he just doesnt di it in areas that create chances for the strikers anywhere near enough.  some have suggested that he plays in a more deep lying central area (which basically is where he operates as it is if you leave out the central bit for the most part but there again you cant really see him contesting  50 50 balls can you ,and hed have to  do a bit more of that there.) 

saying that he will probably be made captain  so sod my thoughts.

Downing won't be captain because I don't think he is going to be first choice. We simply cannot go through another season without a genuine left winger and looking at Pulis' career I'm sure he has realised that. If I'm not mistaken Pulis has always had decent winger in his team that offers pace and a bit of creativity. I can live with Downing in one of the central positions but ideally I want someone more dynamic in there.

We've hardly been linked with any wingers have we?

I'd be getting Hakeeb Adelakun in for next to nothing while he's still available.

Low risk signing, great potential and although he generally plays right I reckon he could start left with no problems. Even switching during the match with Adama as Pulis likes to do anyways.

Norrthern Echo reports this morning that Flint is done for 6 million. Both Flint and McNair will join the squad asap http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/16316373.Middlesbrough_complete___11m_signing_of_McNair_and_Flint/

If this is confirmed - great signing and well suited to a Pulis side. If Gibson goes, then Ayala and Flint as a back 2 backed up by Fry is decent.

We've hardly been linked with any wingers have we?

I'd be getting Hakeeb Adelakun in for next to nothing while he's still available.

Low risk signing, great potential and although he generally plays right I reckon he could start left with no problems. Even switching during the match with Adama as Pulis likes to do anyways.

I'm not sure we need to be filling up on more low risk signings that might or might not be good enough. We already have the likes of Tavernier and Chapman who needs to break through soon and who have been involved with league football. And then there is that Bilal Brahimi kid who seems highly rated and on the radar of the big clubs. We only need to bring in players good enought to start this summer. Enough with signing players who might be good enough; Fletcher, Johnson etc.

As much as i don't like him as a person, I'm surprised we aren't in for James McClean - seems the ideal LW for Pulis

Seen somewhere Stoke are close on him.

Horrendous footballer, wouldn't go anywhere near him. Would actually rather Downing carried on.

Offers absolutely zip other than running.

I wouldn't mind testing Leeds resolve with a bid for young Viera. Think he is a cracking player in the making and still only 19 years old. They may be tempted to cash in and give some extra funds for Bielsa who likely has plenty of his own targets in mind.

Good young lad Viera, don't think a Young England international will come for cheap mind...

He probably wouldn't but Bielsa likely has his targets and Leeds have given him promises that they will have to see through or risk him leaving like he has at previous clubs. If Everton won't do sensible business over Besic I'd wave some money under the nose of Radrizzani.

Well, on the left side.. Downing has been covering the defensive duties for Friend, when the defender went forward... And one assist and two goals is simply not enough for a forward going back... If Friend had a clue on releasing the ball before he lost it, from dribbling right into an oponent... or if he could/would cross a lot earlier instead... Then he wouldn't play in the Champo ... but the PL ..

He is an ok/good defender, he has pace.... But his forward passing and or crosses is abysmal.