oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

McNair has been reported as a box-to-box midfielder, that is pretty much what Besic did. Why sign both?

Because we'll probably play 3 CMs. In which case 2 box-to-box would be useful. Not that I'm confident we'll get Besic too. But I'd be happy if we did.

Also, a few have mentioned the possibility of Downing moving to a more central CM role as part of a 3. Under Pulis there's no chance of that. Downing will be LM next season. The only question is whether he's first choice LM or we bring in someone else to potentially start or compete to start there. We do need another option there.

Could see him playing Downing as a number 10, similar to how he played Morrison, which would suit him and us more. Think the main reason he was playing left wing was a complete lack of options (which was Pulis' fault). He's a good back up, but don't really want to see Downing starting next season whatever happens...

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm hoping we'll be the first team in history to start a game with 10 centre backs on the field.

The Pulis master plan is coming together very nicely.

That's ridiculous and very condescending towards Pulis painting him as some sort of dinosaur who's transfer policy involves a theme park style measuring stick... the team he will be aiming for is 9 centre backs + Adama.

Adama will be schooled to be a CB before the end of the coming season. That's logic you know

As much as i don't like him as a person, I'm surprised we aren't in for James McClean - seems the ideal LW for Pulis

Seen somewhere Stoke are close on him.

Horrendous footballer, wouldn't go anywhere near him. Would actually rather Downing carried on.

Offers absolutely zip other than running.

"Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion are still some distance apart in their respective valuations of winger James McClean, according to Sky sources.

Negotiations are ongoing, but it’s thought that, whilst Stoke are prepared to pay £4m for him, WBA want at least £6m."

Besic played a different role to his usual one, he normally plays claytons position that's why I thought him and McNair would be a good pairing.

But... Besic came here having not done much for Everton in that position, we played him as a box-to-box and he did well. Why would we bring him back to then play in a position he's actually not shown a great deal from? Especially when we have Clayton, who can and has played that role well for us for 4 years.

I remember the last time people went on about dropping Clayton for someone else, it was the Clayton/Forshaw debate before the promotion year. Clayton went on to be probably the best defensive mid in the Championship and a huge factor in promotion. But yeah, sure, lets just spend millions of pounds replacing him.

He's not a problem position. Full-backs, wingers, attacking midfielders, much more attention required in those positions. I'd rather save the money.

Besic is very much a defensive midfielder. I honestly just think that he is a PL standard player and compared with the standard of a) our attacking play and b) the Championship in general, it made him look good going forward.

Downing should be no where near the wide positions never mind number 10, he has no impact on games what so ever.

I’m not a rose tinted glasses Downing fan but this is just not true. Downing had some brilliant games last season and when he was up for it he could control the game, switching play, linking play together and putting balls in.

Downing could still do a job but we definitely need an alternative.

Downing should be no where near the wide positions never mind number 10, he has no impact on games what so ever.

I’m not a rose tinted glasses Downing fan but this is just not true. Downing had some brilliant games last season and when he was up for it he could control the game, switching play, linking play together and putting balls in.

Downing could still do a job but we definitely need an alternative.

Completely agree. Amazing how people forget he was one of, if not our best player in the first half of the season.

Downing should be played in the middle, but more defensive than a number 10 .. Like Howson..

His distribution, which is an ability he stil has, is maybe what we lack in that department...

A midfield 3 of Mc'nair, Clayton and Downing wouldn't be too bad .. ( if our wingers are ok ofc) Downing might find the attacker with some passes too ..

Besic played a different role to his usual one, he normally plays claytons position that's why I thought him and McNair would be a good pairing.

But... Besic came here having not done much for Everton in that position, we played him as a box-to-box and he did well. Why would we bring him back to then play in a position he's actually not shown a great deal from? Especially when we have Clayton, who can and has played that role well for us for 4 years.

I remember the last time people went on about dropping Clayton for someone else, it was the Clayton/Forshaw debate before the promotion year. Clayton went on to be probably the best defensive mid in the Championship and a huge factor in promotion. But yeah, sure, lets just spend millions of pounds replacing him.

He's not a problem position. Full-backs, wingers, attacking midfielders, much more attention required in those positions. I'd rather save the money.

Because besic is far better with the ball, quicker, has a bit of vision and a bit of technique about him. Our whole problem has been the speed we transition the ball from the back, pulis has even said the same thing and imo Clayton is a big part of that problem.

Besic has more to his game than Clayton and is a far better all round player and as someone else said he's PL standard. It's not a priority position no but putting besic in that DM spot is plain and simply improving the team.

With flint, Mc'nair, Ayala, Gestede .. We will be a set piece monster from the very deepest pits of hell!

Adama's role is to dribble around the park getting a free kick every 5 minutes .. :P