oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Really don't want us using a large part of our budget on a striker!

If we can't create enough chances it doesn't matter who's up top, personally I'd be happy with Britt and Bamford fighting for that spot and spend whatever budget we have left on a LW and a playmaker

Think were going to get 12-13mil through the door soon for Braithwaite and Fletcher

Have you heard who from?

Been told possible destinations but I’m no way ITK... Braithwaite to Bordeaux once the complete sale of Brazilian to Inter... Birmingham have asked about Fletcher apparently... we will defo take a loss on him I imagine.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we did get vokes I could see us going 2 up front, I think vokes would work as a deeper sitting focal point leaving the other 3 forwards to make the runs off him. Burnley did similar when they had vokes and ings and it worked a treat.

Slightly off topic, but I would just like to take this moment to remind everyone KM once turned his nose up at a certain Harry Maguire in the Summer Transfer Thread. Never forget.

I seem to remember him calling Maguire a donkey

I have it on good authority that Maguire was having his Boro medical and KM got his dodgy hospital contacts to nobble him. Thus single handily scuppering the deal.

#TrueStory ;)

There's been a lot of talk on here about Pulis shifting his tactics / formations. 2 up front, or a sole striker whose greatest attribute isn't to hold up play. A central attacking midfielder / Downing in that central role in a 3. Adventurous full-backs, etc. I can't see it myself. I'd be greatly surprised if come the start of the season we're not playing 4-3-3, with a strong targetman, full-backs whose priority is to defend, central-midfielders whose priority is largely the same, strong centre-backs who get forward for set-pieces and wingers who play wide.

Reading between the lines (rumours, linked list, departure gossip etc), something like this seems very plausible to me.

---------------- Randolph ----------------

- Shotton - Ayala - Flint - Gibson -

------------------ Clayton ------------------

---------- Morrison - McNair ----------

- Traore ------------------------ Bryan -

------------------- Vokes -------------------

Bench: Dimi, Fry, Friend, Howson, Downing, Bamford, Gestede.

If we did get vokes I could see us going 2 up front, I think vokes would work as a deeper sitting focal point leaving the other 3 forwards to make the runs off him. Burnley did similar when they had vokes and ings and it worked a treat.

Explain why we played 3 at the back in 2nd half of the friendly then? Also didn't pulis play 3 at the back at WBA last season?

Three at the back, two up front, three forwards?  What formation do you think we'll be playing like  :D :funny:

Explain why we played 3 at the back in 2nd half of the friendly then? Also didn't pulis play 3 at the back at WBA last season?

I guess friendlies are for experimenting, lack of other viable options in Pulis' eyes at the time, giving lots of players a run-out at the expense of tactics/results etc. re West Brom, maybe a bit of desperation with a sinking ship, again lack of viable options in his eyes, perhaps didn't sign the players he'd have wanted as part of his staple 4-3-3, the fact that PL is of such a higher standard vs Championship.

I'd be very surprised to see anything others then 4-3-3 next season.

Slightly off topic, but I would just like to take this moment to remind everyone KM once turned his nose up at a certain Harry Maguire in the Summer Transfer Thread. Never forget.

Yeah when he was at Hull I think we looked at him,When he scored for England I though just our luck A Boro reject

Yeah when he was at Hull I think we looked at him,When he scored for England I though just our luck A Boro reject

yep we enquired about him and hull told us hes not for sale. did we offer 6 million? or was that my imagination?

We didn't play a 3 at the back, it was a back 4 of Fabio - Fry - Shotton - Tavernier.

I can't personally see us playing a 3 at the back this season, I think Pulis is quite set on his formation but always good to have other options. 

Would love to see us sign James Morrison, think he would be a great addition to the midfield options providing he is on a affordable wage considering the injury he is coming back from. I think LW needs to be the priority for who we sign though although think Pulis does see Downing as a viable option out wide still.

I was watching that game and I certainly don't remember us playing 3 at the back. Our back 4 for the second half was Fabio, Fry, Shotton and Tavernier. After the big number of changes early on we were:

Dimi

Fabio Fry Shotton Tavernier

Wing Leadbitter De Sart

Bamford Fletcher Johnson

Then Downing came on with about 10 minutes to go for Bamford. I don't see what back 3 you're talking about.

EDIT: What mackie said, haha.