oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

This sounds like it is going down the West Brom model, just kill me now

You’re not alone, bro.

If we went into the season with our current crop of wide midfielders I would share your concerns. If we improve the wide options we have I dont see the problem having physically imposing defenders across the backline. I think we have become used to having our fullbacks as creative options and the midfielders as cover for them.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because your wide players still need support or they just get out numbered and it allows the opposition to be less cautious with their own full backs and wide players.

There's a reason no teams play with 4 CBs

Because your wide players still need support or they just get out numbered and it allows the opposition to be less cautious with their own full backs and wide players.

There's a reason no teams play with 4 CBs

Pullis has a secret plan to clone a left sided Adama. then he can play 4 CBs; as 2 Adama's can handle the rest.

I can't believe it's me saying this but we've just started pre-season and we will no doubt be busy in the transfer market before the start of the season so let's just wait and see. I don't think Gibson will be playing at left back this season other than in an emergency perhaps.

This sounds like it is going down the West Brom model, just kill me now

I'll sharpen the knife. Looks like that's exactly the model we're going for.

I said weeks ago I'll be shocked if Gibson stays, I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if he stays to play out of position in the championship.

It won't be happening.

I said weeks ago I'll be shocked if Gibson stays, I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if he stays to play out of position in the championship.

It won't be happening.

He loves the club. Seemingly interest in signing him is now somewhat limited. And looks like Pulis might be standing firm on a few of those who looked odds on to leave not too long ago, Gibson included.

Also, from an England standpoint - if Gibson proves he can pass/perform adequately from left-back, Boro get promoted and he manages this in the PL also, then it might improve his chances of getting a spot in the England squad. We know that Southgate likes those types of adaptable passing CBs, and there are definitely defensive spots up for grabs in the England squad leading up to 2020. A heap of ifs in there, like ridiculously so, but definitely a case can be made that Gibson's chances of being an England international in years to come - and a PL regular - are improved down that route as oppose to being a probable outright CB on the bench for another PL club.

*searches for fence*

Gibson staying. And played at LB.

It might be happening.

Barely anything has happened in the window yet and people seem to be convincing themselves that Gibson and Traore are definitely staying.

Let's see what happens when players come back from the world cup and the ball starts rolling with transfers.

Even if Gibson stays I think it would be ridiculous to play him left back, he's the best centre back we have so we'd be weakening the centre of our defence. Not only that we'd be putting him in a position where he never looked comfortable in the past. I'm not even sure he'd be better there than George Friend.

If he did play 4cbs and we aren't at least in contention with the top 2 by October/November then he won't be here long.

You can at least understand it when he does it at a small PL team. But here at this level we should be afraid of no team, they should be putting 4cbs/3 at the back against us.

Looking at our existing full backs, even with traore in front of him shottons lack of attacking nouse has held us back. Same with friend on the other side whos lack of any real technique has also held us back.

This thing I see about how full backs don't need to do much forward work I don't buy into, not one bit. They at least need to be comfortable on the ball and be able to knock it about well. Converted cbs generally can't.

I mean.. he has literally already put a centre half at right back. Not entirely crazy to think he wants to do the same on the left.

Seriously hope not, but let's see what happens... could end up with Bryan there (fingers crossed).

If it meant having Bryan at LB and traore staying I'd even meet him halfway and let him keep shotton!

Seen wolves are after that city left back, wonder if we could tempt them with a decent offer for Douglas if we can't get Bryan. If pulis wants a set piece taker you won't find much better at this level.

If it meant having Bryan at LB and traore staying I'd even meet him halfway and let him keep shotton!

Seen wolves are after that city left back, wonder if we could tempt them with a decent offer for Douglas if we can't get Bryan. If pulis wants a set piece taker you won't find much better at this level.

Shocked if they’re trying to replace Douglas, he was one of their best players last year after Neves and Jota.